No announcement yet.

Internet Research Other Than Ancestry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grant... In addition to what Deb said: One can set up favorites within Web Preferences. Then when one chooses the Search the Web command and then chooses Search Favorites, all of the favorites are searched simultaneously with each popping up in their own tab in your browser. Maybe you already know this. It is a great time saver.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
      Grant... In addition to what Deb said: One can set up favorites within Web Preferences. Then when one chooses the Search the Web command and then chooses Search Favorites, all of the favorites are searched simultaneously with each popping up in their own tab in your browser. Maybe you already know this. It is a great time saver.
      Bob:

I just tested the Reunion web search function again this morning. I think I will incorporate it as a regular step in my process.

At the moment I am building a family tree in both Ancestry and FamilySearch. I find that a very efficient way of finding all of the low hanging fruit in the way of sources. I was actually surprised how many sources showed up in Family Search which were not in Ancestry.

grant
      ``````````````````````````````
      Grant

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
        Bob, where do I find the "Search the Web" and "Search Favorites" commands?
        Kevan Yuck, RU~13.0 (Build: 210616) 64-bit, macOS 11.4
        Search - Hebner, Hein(s), Keuhl, Wilke, Juch, Yuch, Yuck, Yuke

Comment

Originally posted by kyuck View Post

Bob, where do I find the "Search the Web" and "Search Favorites" commands?
          Start with Reunion > Preferences. There you can select which websites you want to search and also pick your favourites. Once that is setup head to your family view and move your cursor over the tick mark in the top right corner of the person of interest. A drop down box appears within which you will find the search the web command. You can also use the drop down box to find your way back to preferences.
          ``````````````````````````````
          Grant

Comment

The tick mark is one method. Right clicking/control clicking anywhere in either person box, brings up the exact same drop down menu..

Comment

Chiming in late here... But a word of caution if you are using FamilySearch as your information source. (Or indeed any other, but FS is the largest one).

It has been my experience that there is a huge amount of garbage data in FS (and others) – duplications, missing links, blatantly wrong information – affecting more than 1 in 4 people in my case. So, while FS is a good starting point, you must verify the information with original source data.
              --
              Eric Van Beest
              Spring, TX

Researching: Van Beest, Feijen, Van Herk

Comment

When I employ "Search Favorites," it reaches out to Family Search, Find A Grave, Fold 3, Newspapers.com, Ancestry and USGenweb Archives. Thus, within 10-15 seconds, I have search responses from several major sites. Like I said above, this is a real time saver.

Within the currently 110 sites programmed into Reunion, one can pick any of them for Favorites.

Comment

Working...
                X