Move file back to Mac from DropBox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move file back to Mac from DropBox

How can I stop syncing with DropBox and bring my file back to my Mac - no longer using DropBox afterwards? Should I make a backup of my file before moving forward? Will I need to restore from my backup when using file on my Mac? Tks

Just move the file from DropBox to where you want to keep it on your Mac. You don't need to do anything else.

If you have it shared by DropBox to another computer or device, it will no longer be available in those other places.

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Before moving, I recommend you go to Reunion --> Settings --> Folder and make a note of your file/tree structure.

You'll want to move your .familyfile14 but you will probably want to move the other folders too.

Personally, I like to create REUNION folder with subfolders for Media, Charts, Reports, etc. Mine are on Dropbox, but you may want yours under ~/Documents.

Make sure you Quit Reunion before moving files and folders.

folder.jpg
      Researching Western NC and Northeast GA and any family connected to Caney Fork in Jackson County, NC

Comment

There never has been a need to have the entire Reunion folder in your Dropbox folder on your mac, only the family file.
        That being said, all you need to do is move the family file (and whatever else Reunion related, if any) out of the Dropbox file and on to the Mac at wherever you so choose.
        Personally, I have a Reunion folder in Applications that contains the family file, pictures, reports, etc.
        rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Originally posted by lolo View Post
          How can I stop syncing with DropBox and bring my file back to my Mac - no longer using DropBox afterwards?
          When you share your file to other devices, it doesn't "leave your Mac" so there really is nothing to "bring back to your Mac." Copies of the file are already: 1) on your computer (in the Dropbox folder), 2) on the Dropbox server, and, 3) on any other devices that you are sharing it with.

Roger says: "Just move the file from DropBox to where you want to keep it on your Mac." He is correct, but let me expand that for more clarity. "Just move the file from the DropBox folder on your computer to anywhere else on your computer that you want to keep it." Just take it out of the Dropbox folder. That stops the synching. You don't need to go to the Dropbox web site or log in to it, to do what you want. (If that is what you were thinking.)

SGilbert says: "..all you need to do is move the family file (and whatever else Reunion related, if any) out of the Dropbox file and on to the Mac.." He actually meant "..all you need to do is move the family file (and whatever else Reunion related, if any) out of the Dropbox folder and on to the Mac.." Nit Picky? Yes. But for clarity and to avoid confusion.
          Last edited by Blaise A. Darveaux; 23 May 2024, 02:37 PM.

Comment

To make sure that your family file is not linked to any media items in your Dropbox folder, open your family file in Reunion, click on Reports (on the left side) and then select Media Usage.

Make sure you are showing 'All Files" or "Found Files" and then sort the list by "Location."

Scroll though this list to make sure there are no Dropbox folders listed. If you see any Dropbox folders listed you will want to move them out of Dropbox.
            Gregg Witmer
            Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Thanks, much appreciated.

Comment

Not sure if I should post a new question but inline with this topic, I ask the following.

Is there a preferred process for sharing my Reunion master file to get a relative started with Reunion Touch on their mobile device and then assure that their additions remain on their device and not sync with the Master file (DropBox or iCloud).

And I'm guessing that data they do add to their non synced mobile device (however I effect that) can then be managed to get back to my master under supervision.
                This second process is something I have no experience with.
                Last edited by fisherstudios; 29 May 2024, 02:51 PM.

Comment

"Is there a preferred process​". I don't think there is a preferred way.

"...and then assure that their additions remain on their device and not sync with the Master file (DropBox or iCloud)." I don't think there is a way to this, if you are sharing the data with a third device, such as your iPad or iPhone. I don't think you can preferentially decide which device syncs and which do not.

However, what you could do is make a copy of your master file on your computer. Name the copy something like "Family file for Bill Smith" and put that into the Dropbox folder to share with your relative. Keep your master file on your computer, not in the Dropbox folder. (You may be able to put both files in Dropbox at the same time, but in their own folders, then share just the contents of the one folder containing the copy to your relative. I am just not sure that will work. Someone else here may know or you could try it.)

Now, if you want to review the changes your relative made -- for your inspection and possible inclusion into the master -- periodically move the relative's copy out of the Dropbox folder. Open up both the copy and the master and put them side-by-side. Then use search to find the things your relative changed in the copy since you shared it with him/her. You can inspect the changes and put them into the master file just the way you want them. (Side Note: you could make a new source in the master file titled "Personal communication with Bill Smith" to source the changes that you accepted into the master file.)

When that is done, make another copy of the master, re-name as before, and put the new copy into the Dropbox folder.

Comment

Thank you Blaise. This is just the sort of thinking I was after. I appreciate the guidance and thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                    X