Remarried

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remarried

A man marries, gets a child and then divorces the woman. However a few years later, they marry again. How do I enter the second marriage? Adding from the list doesn't work-

You can add it as a custom event from the 4th tab - Events.

image.png

If you don't see a suitable event there already, click on Event Settings button to create a new event that you can add.

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Roger's technique will allow you to record the second marriage in Reunion, but it isn't particularly portable should you ever need to export your research for use elsewhere (the GEDCOM standard doesn't have a "2nd Wedding" event). GEDCOM allows multiple marriage events in a single family record, but Reunion doesn't, so you have to go about it a different way: create multiple family records for the same couple.

Reunion seems a bit resistant to this technique, but it is possible:

First, create a fake "second marriage" for either of the spouses. You're going to be deleting this marriage momentarily, so none of the details matter. I might suggest using something like "FAKE PERSON" as the spouse's name so it will be very obvious if you forget to delete them later. Once you've created this fake second marriage, navigate to that family and add another marriage to the first spouse. Then, just delete the bogus marriage (by dragging the marriage field to the clipboard) and delete the fake spouse. You'll be left with a single couple that have two separate families, each with their own marriage dates.

I should mention that the GEDCOM 7 standard has a note about this very issue:

Note — The common case is that each couple has one FAM record, but that is not always the case.

A couple that separates and then gets together again can be represented either as a single FAM with multiple events (MARR, DIV, etc.) or as a separate FAM for each time together. Some user interfaces may display these two in different ways and the two admit different semantics in sourcing. A single FAM with two MARR with distinct dates might also represent uncertainty about dates and a pair of FAM with same spouses might also be the result of merging multiple files.

Implementers should support both representations, and should choose between them based on user input or other context beyond that provided in the datasets themselves.​
        ...so either approach is valid (multiple marriage events in the same family or multiple families for each marriage). As Reunion only supports the latter, I'd suggest it's probably the best way to go if you want to maximize portability.

-Brad
        Brad Mohr
        https://bradandkathy.com/genealogy/

Comment

Working...
        X