Question About Relatives Chart

Collapse
X
Collapse
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CDStevens
    Member
    • Aug 2024
    • 2

    #1

    Question About Relatives Chart

    Hi, I'm preparing for a family reunion and want to print out a family tree just for that branch of the family. The way I have figured out to do this is to choose someone from that branch of the family and do a Relatives Chart. This works great, except that the parents and grandparents of this person are show in separate boxes, causing long horizontal lines across the family tree between the boxes of the separate parents. Is there a way to prevent this from happening, or a better way to create the family tree I want? I tried doing a descendant chart from the earliest member of the family, but this creates a very long chart that would be too long to print out.

    Thanks,

    Craig
  • A Ginn
    Member
    • Aug 2013
    • 127

    #2
    The Relative chart keeps the direct ancestors with their families (parents/siblings) and links these couples across branches with long connecting lines. This allows space to fully develop each branch in each generation. Things to try:

    > Add the spouses' names as a second line into each other's boxes;
    > Make the connecting lines between the spouses more prominent;
    > Choose a side to side orientation; the spouse connector will be vertical and should be shorter because it passes intervening boxes along their short side.

    An Everybody chart can be created for relatives of the current source person, but I find its subcharts and chart coordinate references harder to work with.​
    ____________________

    A clarification about "prominent":

    These are the only lines that cross others when the chart is initially drawn and also run closely parallel to lines that might look very similar. I think they can be more easily identified and followed when they stand out by color, width, and pattern using Tree > Lines > Parent.​

    SpouseLine.jpg
    Last edited by A Ginn; 02 July 2026, 04:56 PM.

    Comment

    Working...