Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maintaining links during an upgrade to version 13 and during a move to a new computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintaining links during an upgrade to version 13 and during a move to a new computer

I am getting back into using reunion for genealogy after a couple of years hiatus. I am currently using version 10 on my iMac and have bought mobile versions in the past, but the mobile version on my iPad is no longer compatible with the iOS. Currently all my source and media events are working with no links broken, but I have not been good about keeping media in consistent places. Some photos are linked from old iPhoto (not photos) App, some from files in various places on my computer. I am planning to update to a new iMac when they release it with the new apple M1 chip and I'm afraid I will lose all the links updating from reunion 10 to reunion 13 and the migration to my new computer when I get it. Does reunion have a media manager process to make sure all linked files stay linked? Is it possible to copy all files to a reunion inclusive file instead of referencing from random places or photos libraries? Thanks!

If Apple's Migration Assistant is used when doing the transfer, most likely, the links will be retained.

However, having said that, before doing the transfer to your new Mac, I recommend using Reunion 10 to copy all linked files to a new folder. (This will be helpful for you in case there are issues with the links being broken on the new Mac and/or in keeping all of your linked media items in one folder on the new Mac.) To do this...

1. Open your family file on your older Mac and choose Reports > Multimedia Usage.
    2. Click on the Tools icon (the hammer) at the bottom and selecting "Copy files to a new folder..."
    3. In the window that drops down, select your Desktop (in the far left column) and click Copy (in the lower-right).
    4. Then, transfer that folder to your Users/<home>/Pictures/Reunion Pictures folder on your new Mac. (This is the default location for Reunion to look for pictures.)

Then, in moving forward with using Reunion 13, you may want to consider keeping all linked media items in the Reunion Pictures folder mentioned above.

I hope you find this information helpful
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thank you for your help. I am considering not using the migration assistant as I want to start fresh on the new computer. If I follow the protocol you suggest, will this consolidate all my media and relink to the location I copy the media to, or does it just create a copy of the media to relink to if the media gets lost? Will this find all media files that are linked, including source information? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Dale G View Post
        Thank you for your help. I am considering not using the migration assistant as I want to start fresh on the new computer. If I follow the protocol you suggest, will this consolidate all my media and relink to the location I copy the media to, or does it just create a copy of the media to relink to if the media gets lost? Will this find all media files that are linked, including source information? Thanks
        Following my suggestion (steps 1-4) should consolidate all linked media items (to people, families, and sources) to one location on your new Mac. I do recommend putting that media folder in your Users/<home>/Pictures/Reunion Pictures folder.

I hope you find this information helpful
        Deb Stuller
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Working...
        X