X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Backup and Recovery

Kate
    A few weeks back, I lost two or three years worth of research, due to my stupity. Right off the bat I tried to use Carbonite, which took over two days to download and recover the Family file. But, it recovered a file that was two years out of date.
    I than went to MacKeeper and found out it was a piece of junk. I got warnings from the discussion group about not using it, but it was too late.

I took the computer to the Mac Store in San Luis Obispo and spent 4 hours with them and the technician finally stated that I had managed to stump the group. They could not find any thing other than the file that Carbonite had found.

Following the advice from the Mac Store, I had them to remove MacKeeper and hope that it is now gone. Of course they told me that had I been using Time Machine for backup I would not have had a problem. I did purchase the program and it is now installed and I have used it a couple of times, I LIKE IT!

I thank all of the input from the forum group, they have more knowledge than any software program.

But, bottom line I would suggest that you spend a few bucks and get TIME MACHINE for your backup.
    Last edited by Frank; 06 September 2013, 10:23 AM.
    Fred Holmes searching Holmes/Russell lines
    Lompoc, California

Comment

Originally posted by HolmesRussell View Post
      Kate

But, bottom line I would suggest that you spend a few bucks and get TIME MACHINE for your backup.
      Remember Time Machine is part of the OS and what you need is a large enough hard drive to back up to. HD's from 1T up are relatively inexpensive now. Time Machine is part of your Mac OS tho, not a separate software.
      Last edited by Frank; 06 September 2013, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by George Chapman View Post
        Remember Time Machine is part of the OS and what you need is a large enough hard drive to back up to. HD's from 1T up are relatively inexpensive now. Time Machine is part of your Mac OS tho, not a separate software.
        Perhaps it was a Time Capsule that Fred purchased. It combines an Airport and a hard drive and does the Time Machine backup wirelessly. Also can backup multiple machines.
        Reunion 9, Macbook Air, OSX 10.8
        Nash (NC)
        Pennington (KY)
        Routt (TN)
        McIlheran (TN).

Comment

Originally posted by HolmesRussell View Post
          Kate
          A few weeks back, I lost two or three years worth of research, due to my stupity. Right off the bat I tried to use Carbonite, which took over two days to download and recover the Family file. But, it recovered a file that was two years out of date.
          I than went to MacKeeper and found out it was a piece of junk. I got warnings from the discussion group about not using it, but it was too late.....

Thank you so much for this information. I'm brand new to Reunion and I figured I have Carbonite so I have nothing to worry about. I guess it's time to figure out how to use Time Machine.

Terri Works
          Terri Works - Fifth Generation Californian
          Using Reunion 11 and High Sierra OS

Comment

Originally posted by Terri Works View Post
            Thank you so much for this information. I'm brand new to Reunion and I figured I have Carbonite so I have nothing to worry about. I guess it's time to figure out how to use Time Machine.

Terri Works
            Hi Terri, Time Machine to an external drive is really the first best thing you should do. I have an Apple Time Capsule which also acts as my Apple Airport network wi-fi. However, I also have a cloud service in case something happens to my Time Capsule (it is getting old). Recently went with BackBlaze - http://www.backblaze.com - I like that I pay $5.00 a month, taken out of my bank account. You can also get yearly or two-year plans which come out to be less than $5.00 a month. However, for right now, the monthly bill plan works for me. If you compare Carbonite and BackBlaze, it looks to me as if BB does more. So far, I haven't had to use the BB backup so can't speak to how well it works. Reviews show a high rating though - see Macworld.com's review- http://www.macworld.com/article/1156...upservice.html - this is 2 1/2 years old but gives you some overall comparisons. However, from other comment here, sounds like Carbonite isn't very good.

You are wise to get some good backup going...not just for Reunion.
            Good luck
            Kaye
            Kaye Mushalik
            -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
            -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
            -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

I am new to this group (just transitioned from Family Tree Maker last week) and am totally in love with the software and ease of use.

I use both Time Machine AND BackBlaze. I used Carbonite before and was very unhappy with their back up and restore process. It failed me (can't even explain exactly but all the data was not in the files and folders I expected it to be). Luckily I always maintain an external back up as well so I was able to recover from that but I stopped using Carbonite and switched to BackBlaze.

I have tested my restores from BackBlaze successfully, and just recently they were a lifesaver when I inadvertently wiped out my FTM media folder. I was able to restore in about an hour?
              Last edited by Frank; 06 September 2013, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Re: Backup services

Dick Eastman has a blog (http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/) that provides information that any genealogist will find useful. There is a FREE daily newsletter of postings. Go to the URL and enter your e-mail address in the space on the right below the navigation bar. There is also a paid (Plus) version of the newsletter, with which I have no experience.

He has featured articles on the subject of 'cloud' backup services, most recently on 29 August (http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online...9aff180cc8970d) about the BackBlaze recovery. [DISCLAIMER: I do not use this service and have no connection to it or to Mr. Eastman.]

Eastman's posts are informative and (like this forum) readers may also add their comments.
                Last edited by Frank; 06 September 2013, 10:25 AM.
                Bob Emnett
                V9.0c, X10.10.5
                rosebob.emnett "at" yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Emnett View Post
                  Dick Eastman has a blog (http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/) that provides information that any genealogist will find useful. There is a FREE daily newsletter of postings. Go to the URL and enter your e-mail address in the space on the right below the navigation bar. There is also a paid (Plus) version of the newsletter, with which I have no experience.

He has featured articles on the subject of 'cloud' backup services, most recently on 29 August (http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online...9aff180cc8970d) about the BackBlaze recovery. [DISCLAIMER: I do not use this service and have no connection to it or to Mr. Eastman.]...
                  Good article. The article and comments give you things to think about!
                  Last edited by Frank; 06 September 2013, 10:26 AM.
                  Kaye Mushalik
                  -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
                  -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
                  -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Emnett View Post
                    Dick Eastman has a blog .......There is also a paid (Plus) version of the newsletter, with which I have no experience.......Eastman's posts are informative and (like this forum) readers may also add their comments.
                    As a long time subscriber to the Eastman blog, I recommend it. I have tried and quit several others. Most were, as the old saying goes, a day late and a dollar behind. Dick seems to be "plugged in" pretty good with regard to timely news but is his own person. No commercials about favored products. (Note: He loves the FlipPal scanner.) I have tried the Plus version; it's inexpensive but I did not feel it was worthwhile but that is just my opinion.
                    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
                    X