This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup and Recovery

If you have lost files there are two programs that might work. The first is Disk Drill. The other is Data Rescue from Prosoft Engineering and the cost is $99. This program is used by companies that do data rescue.

Verner Laursen
    Verner Laursen

Comment

Re: Backup and Recovery

Are you by any chance running "Time Machine"? If so you can restore the file quite easily from the automatic back-up.
      Last edited by Frank; 06 September 2013, 10:22 AM.
      Richard Palmer
      "Life is Good"
      Click here to email me
      Wahl&Schmidt-Germany; McCarbery-Ireland

Comment

Re: Best Backup Program

While a bit more expensive my preference is AirPort Time Capsule where you get a fast Wi‑Fi base station and an easy-to-use wireless backup device all in one. With a couple of computers in the household running Time Machine, Airport Time Capsule backs up all of the computers wirelessly. The other benefit is that everything is Apple so I only have one place to go for support leaving me more time to work on Genealogy and not technological problems.
        Richard Palmer
        "Life is Good"
        Click here to email me
        Wahl&Schmidt-Germany; McCarbery-Ireland

Comment

Re: Best Backup Program

Originally posted by RPalmer View Post
          While a bit more expensive my preference is AirPort Time Capsule where you get a fast Wi‑Fi base station and an easy-to-use wireless backup device all in one. With a couple of computers in the household running Time Machine, Airport Time Capsule backs up all of the computers wirelessly. The other benefit is that everything is Apple so I only have one place to go for support leaving me more time to work on Genealogy and not technological problems.
          Richard,
          That sounds great. I have a question though, where did you hear of this Airport Time Capsule? I have never seen it (Airport time capsule)in any ads. I'll stay with this unit I bought for now as it seems to be working.. Also it sounds like this WD unit which attached to the Uverse Remote and is wireless is very similar; and I can still use my Airport Extreme with an Airport Express to reach my wife's computer which is in the far end of my house. I'm still not understanding Time Machine but will read up on it more to find how access the backups that it is taking.
          Thanks for all the advise and considerations
          Delbert Curlin
          Reunion 10.0.6 OS X 10.9.2 iphone 3GS
          Searching Curlin, White, McClish,Buckner

Comment

Originally posted by RPalmer View Post
            Are you by any chance running "Time Machine"? If so you can restore the file quite easily from the automatic back-up.
            Richard,

Unfortunately not. However, chances are I will be in the near future!!

Kate

Comment

Re: Data rescue

Vernon,

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely look into them. I have tried the data recovery on Mackeeper but the program actually stopped working after a period of time. Frustrating!

I had seen the program "Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery" that had a free download. Do you have any info regarding this program? Worth downloading?

Kate

Comment

Originally posted by DelbertCurlin View Post
                where did you hear of this Airport Time Capsule? ...I can still use my Airport Extreme with an Airport Express
                I think Apple's terminology about these devices is confusing. As of now, there are 4 AirPort devices, all of which provide WiFi. Two of them also have a built-in hard drive, and those are called AirPort Time Capsules.

So there's the AirPort Express, the AirPort Extreme, the AirPort Time Capsule (2TB) and AirPort Time Capsule (3TB).

If you already have both an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express, getting a separate hard drive (like you've just done) is probably the right thing to have done
                Dennis J. Cunniff
                Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by KateK View Post
                  Vernon,

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely look into them. I have tried the data recovery on Mackeeper but the program actually stopped working after a period of time. Frustrating!

I had seen the program "Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery" that had a free download. Do you have any info regarding this program? Worth downloading?

Kate
                  No one has said it yet but if you examine the Mac Discussions you will find warnings against using Mackeeper. It wil cause all kinds of problems. You need ti find the proper way to eliminate the program. It can not just be put in the trash. Do a search on the Mac Discussion Boards. I would also be very careful of the Stellar thing, check it out very carefully before downloading it. It could ruin your hard drive.

Comment

.......the program "Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery" that had a free download. Do you have any info regarding this program? Worth downloading?Kate
                    Outside of the App Stores, you should be vary wary of anything that is "free" as it will cost you in one way or another sooner or later.. With regard to MacKeeper and a couple other programs like it, I have heard too many horror stories.

Kate: Your very best bet is to get a Mac technician out to your home. It will be money very well spent. I would not go to an Apple store. While their tech help is excellent in almost all respects, they are usually not too good at a recovery problem dealing with one single non-Apple piece of software. Bottom line is that we ReunionTalk participants can guess and advise all day long but somebody actually at your Mac will resolve the problem in short order (or also give you the bad news in short order).
                    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

George - Thanks for the suggestions and the warnings. I will go to the Mac Discussion Board to check it out.

Kate

Comment

Hey Bob!

I agree that finding a technician knowledgeable with the inner workings of the Mac and it's software would be the best best. However, finding one is an issue for me. I live in a small town in Iowa where they are not so easy come by.

Kate

Comment

However, finding one is an issue for me. I live in a small town in Iowa where they are not so easy come by.

Kate
                          Hi Kate, You might try these two sites...
                          Mac User Groups - http://www.mac-user.com/mac-user-groups/#Iowa
                          Apple User Groups - http://appleusergroupresources.com/find-a-group/

Hope this helps.
                          Kaye Mushalik
                          -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
                          -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
                          -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Re: Data Rescue

And one more useful link: https://locate.apple.com

This is Apple's multi-use Find Location page. Click on the Service quadrant and follow instructions. Not as useful as user groups but still good.
                            Last edited by Frank; 06 September 2013, 10:23 AM.
                            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Kaye,

Thank you for the links!!!! I found a Mac group about 35/40 miles from me.

Kate

Comment

Hey Bob,

Took a look. Closest apple consultant was approx 50 miles away; however, found a couple service locations only about 40 miles away!

Bob, you and the rest of the users that have replied to my posts, have been incredibly helpful and patient in helping a frantic novice like myself. THANK YOU!!

Kate
                                Last edited by Frank; 06 September 2013, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X