Backing Up Family File from Dropbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backing Up Family File from Dropbox

I am wary of something happening to my Famil File that sits smugly in Dropbox. Could somebody please explain how I can back up that working file to a CD/DVD.

Also, are the full sized image files saved in Dropbox?

Originally posted by Bill H View Post
    I am wary of something happening to my Famil File that sits smugly in Dropbox. Could somebody please explain how I can back up that working file to a CD/DVD.
    One way to do so is to insert a blank CD/DVD. Then, open your Finder and choose Go -> Home. (I.e., you will Go along the top of your monitor when the Finder is open.) Next, open your Dropbox folder in that Finder window. Then, drag your family file directly from the Dropbox folder onto the CD/DVD. Do not drop it anywhere in between the two locations. Finally, drag the CD/DVD icon onto the Burn button (which replaces the trash can on your Dock) or open the CD/DVD window and click the Burn button.

Originally posted by Bill H View Post
    Also, are the full sized image files saved in Dropbox?
    Reunion does not save full-size images in Dropbox.

Reunion saves thumbnail versions of the images linked to people/sources in your family file. However, Reunion "links" to the original full-size images, and they are located wherever you stored them on your hard drive.

To adjust the size of the thumbnail versions of the images stored in the family file, open your family file and choose Reunion -> Preferences. Then, click on Multimedia. Next, click the Rebuild Thumbnails button. Additional information about this process can be found in your manual by searching for "rebuild thumbnails" or by clicking on the "?" in the lower-left corner of the Multimedia Preferences window.

I hope you find this information helpful
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Like most things on the computer, it seems easy when someone shows you how .... when you have done it once, you become an expert!!

Thanks for the advice; I will try it in the morning.

Comment

Have finally got round to it!! Yes, it has worked, thank you! I changed the values of the radio buttons (to 1200 and Best) just before Proceed. Sure, it took a long time, but, well worth the wait!

Comment

Surprised that Deb didn't point out that you already have one backup -- on your Mac! The way that Dropbox, iCloud and similar work is that a file is stored on your local Mac or PC and a copy is synched to the Dropbox, iCloud, etc. server. Then whenever you make changes, the files are automatically synched except when you don't have an Internet connection. In that case, the synching will happen once you get a connection without any action needed on your part. To see the local copy of Dropbox on your Mac, go to Macintosh HD > Users > YourName > Dropbox.

Thus, when you do your CD/DVD burn, you will have three copies. If you are not already doing so, I recommend that you also do Time Machine (or one of the on-line backup services). Personally, I do a jump drive (quit burning CD's years ago), synch with my laptop several times a week, have Time Machine running and, of course, Dropbox. Thus, with very little effort, there are five copies.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Been looking for the local copy of My Family File. Where is it - not the one in DropBox?

Comment

In the local Dropbox folder....

2020-05-15_09-59-01.png

Comment

Personally, I have moved my Dropbox folder to the desktop. I find it far more convenient, not only for Reunion, but other things I use Dropbox for.
                rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Originally posted by SGilbert View Post
                  Personally, I have moved my Dropbox folder to the desktop. I find it far more convenient, not only for Reunion, but other things I use Dropbox for.
                  Recommend that you put the folder back in place and do an alias for your desktop. Or put the alias in the bar. Having a bunch of actual documents on the desktop eventually affects Finder performance as there gets to be more and more, so it is best not to do so. Unknown to me whether or not moving the Dropbox folder compromises proper syncing.

Comment

"Unknown to me whether or not moving the Dropbox folder compromises proper syncing." It does not!
                    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Working...
                    X