This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Servers

Now that mobile me is going to be closed I want to start a web site for my family tree. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for an inexpensive web server that would allow me to publish my Reunion tree files to the web. I have looked at .tk which is free which can be use with Dropbox, but have not figured out how to get my Reunion Web cards on it. I also need something that will allow me to use iWeb to create the site. I have very little knowledge of web servers and how to get my Reunion file to the site. I have also looked at "The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding" but this seems counter productive since I have Reunion already.

Re: Web Servers

There are an almost endless number of web hosting companies so it comes down to a matter of reviewing what fits in your budget and meets your needs. There is a web hosting company not far from your location that I am currently using: Webhostinghub.com.
    Tom Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Little Research View Post
      I have also looked at "The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding" but this seems counter productive since I have Reunion already.
      TNG is a GREAT companion to Reunion - I have been using TNG for close to 10 years now to put my Reunion data online. I export a GEDCOM file from Reunion and import that in to TNG to show the data that is presented here

and here

Roger
      Roger Moffat
      http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
      http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

I don't put genealogical data on-line. However, for my modest site, I am using software named Sandvox (www.karelia.com/sandvox/) and A2 Hosting(www.a2hosting.com/). (A2 is both Mac and Sandvox friendly and has really good customer service.) Sandvox is similar to iWeb only better. As for A2, without going and checking receipts, I think I am spending roughly $80 annually for "up to 999 pages."
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

When I create my webcards in Reunion, I just save them in my "public" folder in Dropbox which then hosts my site. I added a "robots" file to keep it away from the prying eyes of Internet search engines until I get my privacy filter perfected. Dick Eastman had a post on this a year or so ago.
          Bradley Jansen
          OS 10.15.2 on a MacBook Pro using Reunion 12 and ReunionTouch 1.0.9

Comment

Here is the link to Eastman's article on using Dropbox to publish one's genealogy database: http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online...543380901a970c
            Tom Brown

Comment

Here's a little example of a Reunion 10 web project we uploaded to our public Dropbox folder...
              Last edited by Frank; 26 May 2012, 09:21 AM.
              Frank Leister
              Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

I am using TNG (The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding) software as well and it's an incredible bargain at $32.99. I have to say I have never seen better customer service on anything I have bought - the author seems to be reachable by email within minutes almost anytime of the day or night. And he just keeps cranking out the improvements. And it works perfectly with Reunion.

I recently switched ISPs (had been on APLUS.NET) to www.simplyhosting.net, which was recommended by the author of TNG. So far I've been very happy with them - and it's cheap! I pay $9/mo for 4GB and I have four different websites sharing that account.

My TNG sites are here:

Clearinghouse for Bishir/Bisher/Byshire genealogy, photos and documents.

and

- Don

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                  Here's a little example of a Reunion 10 web project we uploaded to our public Dropbox folder...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23934090/Rep...ect/wc_toc.htm
                  This URL brings up a 404, Frank!

Martha
                  Click here to email me
                  OS X 10.7.5, Reunion 9.0c
                  http://www.avotaynu.com/books/tamar.htm

Comment

When you copy-paste the link into your browser, indeed you get a 404 error.
                    But when you just click the link it works fine
                    Frans van Bodegom
                    Reunion NL Support Team

Comment

Originally posted by donworth View Post
                      I am using TNG (The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding) software as well and it's an incredible bargain at $32.99. I have to say I have never seen better customer service on anything I have bought - the author seems to be reachable by email within minutes almost anytime of the day or night. And he just keeps cranking out the improvements. And it works perfectly with Reunion.

I recently switched ISPs (had been on APLUS.NET) to www.simplyhosting.net, which was recommended by the author of TNG. So far I've been very happy with them - and it's cheap! I pay $9/mo for 4GB and I have four different websites sharing that account.
                      - Don
                      I used this combination for years when I was still able to maintain the website. The website people made sure everything worked as it should and the T"NG author was responsive and VERY helpful. Highly recommend !

STEVE
                      STEVE, Reno, NV, USA

Comment

Originally posted by fjvanbodegom View Post
                        When you copy-paste the link into your browser, indeed you get a 404 error.
                        But when you just click the link it works fine
                        Many thanks, Frans! I am so used to the hyper links not working in the discussion group digest that I automatically copy and paste. But you are right, double clicking brought up the link! Perhaps things have changed and I can go back to double clicking!!

Martha
                        Click here to email me
                        OS X 10.7.5, Reunion 9.0c
                        http://www.avotaynu.com/books/tamar.htm

Comment

your dropbox link still works. I tried using public folder of dropbox and the "copy public link" option no longer shows up. How do i get the webcards placed in my public folder to show up the way yours did

thanks
                          Last edited by Deb; 13 August 2012, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Hi Dale,
                            I think you may need to download the latest version of Dropbox. When I upgraded to Mountain Lion, the Control-Click menu no longer contained a "Dropbox" submenu with it's items (including the "Copy Public Link" item).

btw, I just made another quickie sample project to make sure it was working. It's here.
                            Last edited by Frank; 13 August 2012, 09:11 PM.
                            Frank Leister
                            Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Still having trouble...

I upgraded to the latest version of dropbox (had to figure out how to quit dropbox to do this!)
                              and I still dont get the "copy public link" option.

If I right click on the wc_toc.htm file from my web card in my public folder I only get the option to "copy wc_toc.htm" and not to copy public link

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

thanks

Hi Dale,
                              I think you may need to download the latest version of Dropbox. When I upgraded to Mountain Lion, the Control-Click menu no longer contained a "Dropbox" submenu with it's items (including the "Copy Public Link" item).

btw, I just made another quickie sample project to make sure it was working. It's here.

Comment

Working...
                              X