X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frequent crashes while working in Reunion 10

Hello,

Since yesterday Reunion 10 is frequently crashing. Is there a way to send you my crash reports?
    Reunion 10.0.1, Reunion for iPad and iPhone

Re: Frequent crashes while working in Reunion 10

Originally posted by Patrick Vijgeboom View Post
    Since yesterday Reunion 10 is frequently crashing. Is there a way to send you my crash reports?
    Patrick,

Please see the first part of this page for instructions on sending us a crash report...

Be sure to let us know what you were doing in Reunion leading up to the crash.
    Last edited by Frank; 15 May 2012, 11:00 AM.
    Gregg Witmer
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

I had two crashes.

One trying to update multimedia link. The new file re-opened but I lost my maternal ancestry. I had to reconvert from an older R9 file.

The second when quitting.

I will mail you Crash Reports as they occur.
      Alain Farhi
      http://www.farhi.org

Comment

Roger Moffat
        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Thank you for the information. I send you two crash reports, one multimedia related and the other source related.

I repaired permissions, removed my cache files and the preferences. Let see if this helps.
          Reunion 10.0.1, Reunion for iPad and iPhone

Comment

'known issues' ? Import notes crash...

The procedures for identifying crashes may fix some users' problems, but I suggest that problems users find to be reproducible be posted to this thread.

Hopefully Leister will generate a known issues list to prevent every user from having to run the diag gauntlet.

I find Clicking 'import notes' in any Notes field crashes the app. The crash log has been sent to Leister. It's conceivable this or other issues are specific to machine or operating system software version.

-Paul

MBP Core i7 8GB/240GB SSD Mac OS X 10.6.8
            Last edited by Paul Reitz; 13 May 2012, 10:14 AM.
            -- Paul ... Reitz immigrants in America

Reunion 13.0 build 201127 on
            MBPr 15" mid-2015, macOS 10.14.6
            MBP 15" Mid-2010, macOS 10.13.6

Comment

Re: 'known issues' ? Import notes crash...

Originally posted by Paul Reitz View Post
              ... It's conceivable this or other issues are specific to machine or operating system software version.
              Yes, in beta testing several issues were discovered, and fixed, that were OS-specific. But we can thank Leister for attempting to keep Reunion compatible with at least a couple of Mac OS versions. However as Apple continues to push forward with plans to release a new major "Cat" OS every year to generate revenue, it may become more difficult for application developers to maintain compatibility with multiple previous OS's. Alas.
              Byron Spoon

Comment

Originally posted by ByronSpoon View Post
                Yes, in beta testing several issues were discovered, and fixed, that were OS-specific. But we can thank Leister for attempting to keep Reunion compatible with at least a couple of Mac OS versions.
                In my case machine and OS are less than 2 years old; a 'late 2010' MPB running 10.6.8. The R10 FAQ doesn't show hardware/software requirements; is there a list somewhere?
                -- Paul ... Reitz immigrants in America

Reunion 13.0 build 201127 on
                MBPr 15" mid-2015, macOS 10.14.6
                MBP 15" Mid-2010, macOS 10.13.6

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Reitz View Post
                  In my case machine and OS are less than 2 years old; a 'late 2010' MPB running 10.6.8. The R10 FAQ doesn't show hardware/software requirements; is there a list somewhere?
                  You should certainly be ok. The "System Requirements" link on the home page

says "Mac OS X 10.5 or newer" so that covers three versions of "Cats". But it'll keep Leister busy assuring feature compatibility across all these multiple OS's I would think.
                  Byron Spoon

Comment

Originally posted by ByronSpoon View Post
                    However as Apple continues to push forward with plans to release a new major "Cat" OS every year to generate revenue, it may become more difficult for application developers to maintain compatibility with multiple previous OS's. Alas.
                    I don't want to hijack the thread, but I've got to pipe up here. If Apple is doing this to generate revenue, they're doing a terrible job of it. The $30/year price they seem to have settled on works out to about 8 cents a day. In the era of longer update cycles, Apple released 5 upgrades at $129 each, plus a freebie (10.1). From the release of Mac OS X 10.0 to the day before Snow Leopard was released, that would cost you $645 to keep up-to-date, or 21 cents a day. Even if you got one of those "free" with a new Mac, that's still 17 cents a day, or about double the new yearly update price.

The pricing difference is even larger if you consider buying for multiple computers. The old family pack went for $179, but Lion is licensed under the usual Mac App Store rules, which allow it to be installed on up to 5 computers for the same $30 price.

Whether this shift has any bearing on developer's ability to maintain compatibility is a different question. If a developer focuses on maintaining compatibility over a certain number of releases (current plus one previous, current plus two previous, etc.), I can't see how the shift would have any effect. A developer using a time-based compatibility approach ("we'll support all OS versions released in the last 5 years," say) is potentially in for a lot more work. I suspect that the low cost of upgrades will mean that a much larger percentage of users will be on more recent OS versions anyway, so even these developers may be able to shorten that time horizon while maintaining compatibility with the same portion of their user base.
                    Brad Mohr
                    https://bradandkathy.com/genealogy/

Comment

I have had 4 crashes so far, and I am now coming against another problem.

Whenever I add someone to the clipboard, it wipes all the data about that person. Also when I try and add a partner to a man, who has previous wives, then it has wiped the information on that man as well, plus it has scrambled the link.

I am most concerned about entering any more information at present ....

I am running 10.7.4 on a Mac Pro early 2009 model

Comment

I too have had random crashing after entering detailed person data and exiting the sheet using the "enter" key. I have not had a crash if I click on "DONE" rather than using the enter key.

I have no idea whether this is a work around or even meaningful.

I have not experienced any of the more serious anomalies but I have made a backup copy that I hope will not be needed.

Comment

A note to all who are having crashing problems: Have you done any maintenance recently? How long since you repaired permissions? Have you run a program such as Disk Warrior or TechTool or equivalent in the past year? Like changing the oil and filter on your car, your Mac needs regular maintenance.

When you do an OS update such as 10.7.3 to 10.7.4, you should repair permissions both before and after. The "before" prevents the compounding of existing inconsistencies; the "after" fixes whatever the new update introduced.

I'm a happily retired guy whose working profession was managing the desktop support for 1,000 + users with a myriad of software combinations and both major platforms. My rule of thumb on crashing: If most users are crashing, it tends to be the software or a network problem. (Hardware crashing is fairly uncommon.) If only a few are crashing, it tends to be the lack of maintenance or a "stupid" user. (e.g., "stupid" meaning those users who muck around in the OS moving or deleting files that they should have never touched...) [Or moving Reunion files to other places...]

If I were to come to visit your Mac due to crashing, my first step would be to perform maintenance. If the crashing continued, I would then start looking for reasons. I have no idea how many of you have upgraded to R10 so far... but, overall, I am getting the impression that crashing is the minority. Most of the threads in this subject area are either a specific item not working or a how to question.
                          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                            A note to all who are having crashing problems: Have you done any maintenance recently? How long since you repaired permissions? Have you run a program such as Disk Warrior or TechTool or equivalent in the past year? Like changing the oil and filter on your car, your Mac needs regular maintenance.
                            Would you please suggest a routine maintenance program. I have had "One on One" training sessions and the subject has never been brought up by the trainer nor have I asked. Specifically how does a user repair permissions and if you had to pick a disk repair program which would you suggest. I'm not necessarily looking for a freebie but one that is easy to use and reliable.
                            Richard Palmer
                            "Life is Good"
                            Click here to email me
                            Wahl&Schmidt-Germany; McCarbery-Ireland

Comment

For routine Permission Repair, use the Disk Utility program located in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder. It comes to you as part of the OS. Open the program, choose the First Aid tab, highlight your hard disk's name on the left then click the Repair Disk Permissions button further down in the dialog box. (If you are interested in seeing the specific repairs, check the Show Details box.)

I recommend doing this before and after major updates and, if there has not been an update, do it about once a month.

A couple times per year, I take time out to run a maintenance program. This will defrag files, block off bad disk sectors, etc., etc... Bottom line is your Mac usually feels a lot perkier following said treatment. How long it takes depends on how many files you have. The three major players are Disk Warrior by Alsoft, TechTool Pro by MicroMat and Drive Genius by Prosoft. All three do a very good job. I have all three but tend to use TechTool because it has a more straightforward user interface. I haven't checked "new" prices on these lately but I think all three are in the $50-100 range.
                              Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                              Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                              iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
                              X