Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reunion 11 and "Evidence Explained" 3d Ed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reunion 11 and "Evidence Explained" 3d Ed.

Originally posted by Reiner L. Sauer View Post
    I've red and studied ESM a number of times and must admit that – although it appears a very comprehensive scientific work - I'm unable to grasp it and integrate it within Reunion. That's why I'm interested to learn about an easy solution, but, at the same time I get frustrated when the proposed solution is just a teaser.
    Regards
    Reiner
    I agree with you regarding ESM. I think it's like a comfort blanket for those who are uncertain about creating sources.
    I have found university citation methods work well, eg Oxford or Cambridge Universities, for non-US users. Most universities have guidelines on their websites which are a good starting point.
    The trick is, to create a source with sufficient fields that the user can easily locate the document in the future.
    Jan Powell
    in Wellington, New Zealand
    http://www.rellyseeker.nz/
    --
    Apple/Mac since 1987, Reunion since 1993

Comment

I agree with Jan. In scholarship there has been a move away from overly detailed source citation towards one that provides just enough information for someone to identify the source. Digitized source material has had an impact. The ability to just link to a source, or provide a scanned image of it, no longer makes it necessary to provide all of the details one did when a source had a unique or scarce physical manifestation.

When I first took a look at ESM I was like, you've got to be kidding. It's valuable for research techniques and evaluating evidence and sources, but the citation style tends toward the arcane.

David
      Gilbert - Fulcher - Hackney - Harvey - Holmes - Hall
      in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by gilbertdh View Post
        Digitized source material has had an impact. The ability to just link to a source, or provide a scanned image of it, no longer makes it necessary to provide all of the details one did when a source had a unique or scarce physical manifestation.
        This, while true in the short run, is wrong in the long run. Links rot, servers go offline, and if you want your audience to be able to find the source afterwards, you have to leave enough information to find the original source. A link really won't do except as a very temporary solution.
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post
          Unfortunately the sharing of source templates is not possible via Reunion. That said, each source template in Reunion is completely customizable and can be made to “conform” to Evidence Explained.

As noted by another member of this thread, the process takes time to accomplish. The results, however, are worth the effort! For that matter, you can even add custom fields to sources that you can use (and) keep hidden in reports!

Over the course of using Reunion for more than ten years now, I spent well over 200 hours of my time tweaking the source fields to meet my needs ¬– mostly in preparation for professional publication. I have since successfully published that book and am very happy with the results.

Anyone interested in having a copy of my Excel sheet of source fields may email me off-list at: <apalmer6 AT Verizon.net>.
          Hi Arnold

I emailed the above address as I would be very interested in your spreadsheet if you wouldn't mind sharing it. I am a new Reunion user and still trying to get used to it and I am having some struggles with sources and this would probably help me quite a bit. My email is Tina dot Mellesmoen at gmail dot com

Comment

Re: Reunion 11 and &quot;Evidence Explained&quot; 3d Ed.

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
            This, while true in the short run, is wrong in the long run. Links rot, servers go offline, and if you want your audience to be able to find the source afterwards, you have to leave enough information to find the original source. A link really won't do except as a very temporary solution.
            Yes. I did not mean just linking out to an image on a website, but having the actual image attached to your data, whether it is in Reunion, on your own website, or printed out into your book. Your citation would tell you what it is (the U.S. Census) and also where you got it (Ancestry). The link to Ancestry will eventually go dead or change, but you still have a page from the U.S. Census.
            Gilbert - Fulcher - Hackney - Harvey - Holmes - Hall
            in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post
              Unfortunately the sharing of source templates is not possible via Reunion. That said, each source template in Reunion is completely customizable and can be made to “conform” to Evidence Explained.

As noted by another member of this thread, the process takes time to accomplish. The results, however, are worth the effort! For that matter, you can even add custom fields to sources that you can use (and) keep hidden in reports!

Over the course of using Reunion for more than ten years now, I spent well over 200 hours of my time tweaking the source fields to meet my needs ¬– mostly in preparation for professional publication. I have since successfully published that book and am very happy with the results.

Anyone interested in having a copy of my Excel sheet of source fields may email me off-list at: <apalmer6 AT Verizon.net>.
              Hi Arnold.

I took you up on your very generous offer and sent you an email requesting the Excel spreadsheet. Thought I would give you a heads up in case it gets caught up in your junk filter.

David

Comment

Sorry for the replies I have not responded to asking for my source templates. It has been a while since I checked in here. If anyone contacts me separately, I would be glad to share a clone.
                Lynda
                Lynda C.
                Researching Kemble, Pryor, Gradwell, Cooper and lots more.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynda View Post
                  Sorry for the replies I have not responded to asking for my source templates. It has been a while since I checked in here. If anyone contacts me separately, I would be glad to share a clone.
                  Lynda
                  http://www.dealwithyourpast.com/familytree/
                  Hello Lynda,
                  How can we contact you?
                  Reiner
                  SauerRL@me.com • info@reunion-de.de
                  Web: http://www.schevenhuette.com
                  Web: http://www.reunion-de.de

Comment

Lynda

Got it! Thanks so much!
                    Bradley Jansen
                    OS 10.15.2 on a MacBook Pro using Reunion 12 and ReunionTouch 1.0.9

Comment

Originally posted by Reiner L. Sauer View Post
                      Hello Lynda,
                      How can we contact you?
                      Reiner
                      Hi Reiner, Click on Lynda's name on left side in header of one of her posts. Click on contact button. In this case you probably have to contact her through her website.

Hope this helps,
                      Kaye
                      Last edited by kmgenealogy; 19 October 2017, 10:35 AM.
                      Kaye Mushalik
                      -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
                      -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
                      -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
                        Hi Reiner, Click on Lynda's name on left side in header of one of her posts. Click on contact button. In this case you probably have to contact her through her website.

Hope this helps,
                        Kaye
                        I contacted her through her web site that she gave in her last response. She replied quickly with the file. Thank you Lynda!

Comment

I also received a quick reply from AE Palmer (see message #6) with a copy of his spreadsheet showing the fields that he uses for different types of sources. Thank you Arnold!

Comment

Originally posted by GeorgeC View Post
                            I also received a quick reply from AE Palmer (see message #6) with a copy of his spreadsheet showing the fields that he uses for different types of sources. Thank you Arnold!
                            Thanks Arnold from me as well. Very helpful information.

David

Comment

Lynda
                              Thanks for sharing your information with me Lynda. Very helpful and appreciated.

David

Comment

Dear Lynda, dear Arnold,

Thanks for sharing your information with me.
                                Regards
                                Reiner
                                SauerRL@me.com • info@reunion-de.de
                                Web: http://www.schevenhuette.com
                                Web: http://www.reunion-de.de

Comment

Working...
                                X