X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Family History

Originally posted by donworth View Post
    I like your layout! You are much more "artful" than I am! :-)

The summary narrative is often the only thing our relatives have read in the book. They seem to want an entertaining story to read and then to look at all the pictures. So my genealogy is mostly just a framework to hang photos on - ha ha.

If you look at this page and scroll down to the NOTES you can see what I'm talking about w/re the bios.

We usually have a bio first, then a line that says "RESEARCH" and after that I put the random research notes I have that I don't (necessarily) want in the book. When I run the Register Report, it all goes in, but while doing the paste-up and I just delete everything after RESEARCH. Some of the bios are very long and elaborate - most are not since I don't know as much about the people.

I have never run into the upper limit for Notes. I would expect it to be at least 32,767 characters.

Don
    I have been so hung up on whether to enter all my Census data and City Directory data as Events or Notes and then I re-read all your posts and looked at your examples. I really like this. You seem to put the basic information in place and then use all the census data, wills, property records etc. as sources for a narrative that you write in notes. Then you use the actual census images and such as illustrations in your book. This is really nice to read -
    My computer had to be erased and I am starting all over. I think I'll wait for a response and just ponder the pages you have offered as examples.
    Would you mind a few more newbie questions? Thanks. Terri Works
    p.s. by the way, there are some striking similarities in our family stories - including that Swope from Missouri and those ancestors in the Great Register of California. We could even be related!
    Terri Works - Fifth Generation Californian
    Using Reunion 11 and High Sierra OS

Comment

Re: Family History

Originally posted by Terri Works View Post
      Would you mind a few more newbie questions? Thanks. Terri Works
      p.s. by the way, there are some striking similarities in our family stories - including that Swope from Missouri and those ancestors in the Great Register of California. We could even be related!
      Sure - if you want you can email me questions offline at worth@ucla.edu.

The full text of the LEE/MENDENHALL book is on this page in case you want to look through more of it:

The "Lee Ancestry and Descendants of George Washington Lee", "GREER", and "MENDENHALL" sections have the most illustrations.

And I have a lot more from a book I did for my parents on their golden wedding anniversary in 1996, but that was before anyone cared about privatizing data (and I didn't) so I would rather not put a link to that here.

Actually the Missouri and Great Register would be my wife's family - so you might be related to her. :-)

Don

Comment

Working...
      X