Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uploading GED file to other websites (or not!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by romad View Post
    Isn't Family Tree Maker owned by Ancestry.com?
    Not anymore, no. Ancestry.com initially was going to discontinue FTM back in 2015 or so, but that got a lot of backlash from the community so they sold the software off to Software MacKiev, who are the current owners/developers of FTM.
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

I hope this a simple question. I have added a couple photos to individuals in my Reunion file. When I generate a GEDCOM, are the photos part of the GEDCOM file? The reason I ask is that I am currently trying unsuccessfully to upload a GEDCOM file to ancestry.com. I keep getting the error message: "Something went wrong while uploading your file. Please try again." The tech I spoke to told me that one reason a file will not be accepted is if it contains any photos. I tried generating a GEDCOM with the "include multi media links" UNchecked, but get the same error message when I try to upload that GEDCOM.

Comment

Originally posted by romad View Post

Isn't Family Tree Maker owned by Ancestry.com? If so, then the advantage is that Ancestry gets more money from you.
        Ancestry did own it for several years. They sold it about five or six years ago. FTM has had six or seven owners over approx. 30 years. It started out as a MS-DOS application done by a one man operation (guy lived in Hayward). Broderbund purchased from him and put a GUI presentation on it and gave it the current name. Current owner is MacKiev.

2021-02-15_16-54-11.png
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stevens View Post
          I hope this a simple question. I have added a couple photos to individuals in my Reunion file. When I generate a GEDCOM, are the photos part of the GEDCOM file? The reason I ask is that I am currently trying unsuccessfully to upload a GEDCOM file to ancestry.com. I keep getting the error message: "Something went wrong while uploading your file. Please try again." The tech I spoke to told me that one reason a file will not be accepted is if it contains any photos. I tried generating a GEDCOM with the "include multi media links" UNchecked, but get the same error message when I try to upload that GEDCOM.

Jim,

I have had the same problem since early January. Got no where with ancestry. See the post I put up today, still haven't been able to upload.

Have you been able to upload a GEDCOM yet? Terry
          bigfoot4

OS X 10.13

Reunion 12
          Reunion Touch 1.0.8

Comment

Hey, Terry - I was able to finally upload to ancestry.com successfully. Over the years I have found that these upload problems crop up, then suddenly resolve for no reason that I can ascertain. One time a few years back I was able to get the email address of a tech at ancestry (not the frustrating bot) & the tech let me email the GEDCOM to him & he uploaded it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stevens View Post
              Hey, Terry - I was able to finally upload to ancestry.com successfully. Over the years I have found that these upload problems crop up, then suddenly resolve for no reason that I can ascertain. One time a few years back I was able to get the email address of a tech at ancestry (not the frustrating bot) & the tech let me email the GEDCOM to him & he uploaded it for me.
              Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I changed some options in Reunion and created a new GEDCOM but it still failed.

Then I tried some smaller GEDCOMs.
              I created a marked set that was smaller, 14,765 people 6.6 mb file size, it uploaded in less than a minute!
              I also did the 21,612 persons 9.1 mb file size with no error.

But the last one, 48,641 persons 23.6 mb file size failed with the same error. My file is over 72,000 persons, the file size is under Ancestry 500 mb restriction, but it will not upload.

What makes no sense is, I renamed a copy of the GEDCOM already there and tried to upload it, and it now fails.
              bigfoot4

OS X 10.13

Reunion 12
              Reunion Touch 1.0.8

Comment

Working...
              X