X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup and Recovery

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
    The family file is not in Applications. It is located in Documents>>Reunion Files by default. It would only be elsewhere if you moved it.
    Sorry to chime in but tell me if it is proper. I have Reunion 10 and Reunion Web Tool in the applications folder.
    I have the Family file 10 in a folder named Reunion Files along with Charts folder,Reports folder,Sample Family 10,Reunion license code and purchase document.

I would also like to know what is a "Best?" backup program? How do I determine rating them?
    I have never had one and don't know how set one up. How should I go about backing up The applications ,documents, and other files? I could really use some guidance. As I'm afraid the Peter Principal is going to catch me.

Thanks
    Delbert Curlin
    Reunion 10.0.6 OS X 10.9.2 iphone 3GS
    Searching Curlin, White, McClish,Buckner

Re: Best Backup Program

One of the best is built right in to your Mac. It is Time Machine.

If you don't already have one to use, go and buy an external hard drive. I recommend 1 or 2 TB. Bring it home and plug it into to your Mac. Depending on the brand you purchased, you likely will need to reformat the external for Mac usage.

Once that is completed, fire up Time Machine; it's located in your Applications folder. It will ask which HD to use for backup. Specify the new HD. Say OK and it becomes the most faithful puppy dog you ever had. And it is very easy to recover items from it if that becomes needed.
    Last edited by Frank; 28 August 2013, 07:13 AM.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Bob; Thanks so much
      Went to COStCo purchased a 2 TB My Book Live by WD which I believe is Western Digital. Says compatible with MAC OSX Up to Lion so tomorrow I will read the booklet, watch the disc and plug in to AT&T's Router which they just installed as part of my UVERSE package of everything Telephones,Internet,TV"S,DVRs and only God knows what else.
      Hope I do this right. will let you know.
      Last edited by Frank; 28 August 2013, 07:14 AM.
      Delbert Curlin

Comment

Plug it direct into the Mac. There is no valid reason to put it into a router.

You probably have a slightly new version of my current external which is a year old WD 2 TB My Book. I have had good luck with the WD brand. Note: I partitioned mine into two partitions where I'm using 500 GB for general storage and the other 1.5 TB for Time Machine.
        Last edited by Frank; 28 August 2013, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Good choice on the hard drive as I have also had good Tech support from WD.
          Richard Palmer
          "Life is Good"
          Click here to email me
          Wahl&Schmidt-Germany; McCarbery-Ireland

Comment

Dear Delbert,

Originally posted by DelbertCurlin View Post
            I would also like to know what is a "Best?" backup program? How do I determine rating them?
            I have never had one and don't know how set one up. How should I go about backing up The applications ,documents, and other files? I could really use some guidance. As I'm afraid the Peter Principal is going to catch me.
            In July, I posted a suggestion on ReunionTalk. There was a similar discussion going on. Here's the link to it;

Regards
            Reiner
            SauerRL@me.com • info@reunion-de.de
            Web: http://www.schevenhuette.com
            Web: http://www.reunion-de.de

Comment

Well Guys; I plugged it in to my computer. started Time machine. It ran for about 2 hours and now I can't see any thing except a disk Icon named public on my desk top. In the finder window under SHARED is MyBookLive w/eject symbol and under that is MyBookLive-backup which when selected brings up a window saying Connection Failed. nothing indicating any back up by name or otherwise. Any suggestions? I called WD but they were too busy- said they would call me - No word though.
              Delbert Curlin

Comment

Bob; Thanks so much
                Went to COStCo purchased a 2 TB My Book Live by WD which I believe is Western Digital. Says compatible with MAC OSX Up to Lion so tomorrow I will read the booklet, watch the disc and plug in to AT&T's Router which they just installed as part of my UVERSE package of everything Telephones,Internet,TV"S,DVRs and only God knows what else.
                Hope I do this right. will let you know.
                Delbert et ya'll,

A warning. Some years back I bought a 1Tb MyBook then 2-2Tb and, when they were released, 5-4Tb MyBooks. Every one of them except 2 of the 4TB drives failed less that four months after their warrantees expired. Western Digital wanted a huge amount of money to repair/recover data. Pulling the "removable" drives to put them in a different enclosure for recovery involved destroying the cases so as to spray enough release agent on the contacts to allow their extraction. I would suggest returning the drives and buying something more reliable.

Anyhow, that was my experience,

STEVE
                Last edited by Frank; 06 September 2013, 10:21 AM.
                STEVE, Reno, NV, USA

Comment

I buy all my drives (internal, external, and SSD) from Other World Computing. They make really reliable stuff - I have 4x 2T externals that connect via Firewire 800, have replaced one of my internal drives with a 500GB 7200rpm drive, and put in a 480GB SSD. This over a period of 5 or 6 years - and so far (knock on wood) no problems at all with anything I have ever bought from them! Several of my friends have had the same experience. I highly recommend them.

Prior to that (back in 2007?) I had a WD 500GB My Book network drive (I think the kind that's being discussed - looks like a book). I found the software to be very cumbersome to use (this was on a Windows machine at that time) and it was VERY slow over the network (all hardwired). It also vibrated so much I had to put a foam pad under it. I would never buy another one.

Just one person's experience... obviously your mileage may vary!

Comment

Steve and Don: Don't jump so fast. He said he plugged it in and he did not say anything about reformatting the new hard disk. That would be Step One as most or all My Books are formatted FAT for Windows usage.

Delbert: Did you do that? If you need advice on how to do that, several of us can help. There is nothing wrong with Steve's and Don's advice. They are simply getting a little ahead of themselves. When you reformat, if it won't reformat, then we'll know the drive is a lemon.

Comment

Originally posted by STEVE View Post
                      Delbert et ya'll,
                      A warning. I would suggest returning the drives and buying something more reliable.
                      Anyhow, that was my experience,
                      STEVE
                      Don't have much time. My urologist says come in as I continuing problems. BUT:

Are you by any chance the Steve that I was in contact with many years ago with the first home computer I had a Zenith with H-DOS operating system?
                      Delbert Curlin

Comment

Delbert: Did you do that?
                        Bob; No I didn't reformat the drive the instructions said it was compliant with MAC and my version of OS. and everything seemed to be working. I started Time Machine and for about 2 hours it gave me the little thermometer type thing-a-ma-jig showing time left and how many files eiether left or to do I don't remember which. I haven't used reformat - I guess it isin the utilities. I'll check when I get back from Dr bust if Time Machine can't connect how would any other app connect. Also both show up under shared in the Finder.
                        Last edited by Deb; 29 August 2013, 11:28 AM.
                        Delbert Curlin

Comment

Generally their say the product is compliant means it will work but note that it does not say it is ready to use. Disk Utility in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder is your guy. Format choice is Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Partition Map Scheme should be GUID Partition Table (doesn't matter if you are single or multiple partitions... still use this choice.).

Note: If the Disk Utility program does not recognize the external hard disk, after making sure that your connections were secure (e.g. eliminate that as a possible problem source), put the whole thing back in the box it came in and drive yourself back to the store where you purchased. Then you get to decide whether to get another of the same or just request your money back.

Comment

Generally their say the product is compliant means it will work but note that it does not say it is ready to use. Disk Utility in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder is your guy. Format choice is Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Partition Map Scheme should be GUID Partition Table (doesn't matter if you are single or multiple partitions... still use this choice.).

Note: If the Disk Utility program does not recognize the external hard disk, after making sure that your connections were secure (e.g. eliminate that as a possible problem source), put the whole thing back in the box it came in and drive yourself back to the store where you purchased. Then you get to decide whether to get another of the same or just request your money back.
                            Ok will try this. Thanks for the help and sorry to be such a bother of stuff I should be more up on.
                            Delbert Curlin

Comment

Ok will try this. Thanks for the help and sorry to be such a bother of stuff I should be more up on.
                              WD called me back. They had some kind of failure at their center yesterday. Ok. everything I did was good except when it asked for the user (either registered or guest) i made and assumption and picked registered user; wrong (if I had read their instruction completely it said choose guest). They talked me thru the whole thing step by step and even waited while Time Machine initiated another backup. Very professional and helpful. Looks like I'm in business.
                              Thanks to all,Bob,Steve,Reiner and Don. Maybe I can quit worrying about losing data now.
                              Just hope I never have to use it.
                              Delbert Curlin

Comment

Working...
                              X