This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using the Mac's PREVIEW application

I have finally started to annotate PDF's of censuses, newspaper pages, Google Books & Archive.org pages of old books, etc. When I decided to do this, I started looking for an app to help me. Much to my surprise & chagrin, I found that Apple has provided a free app, to do this, for several years! I'm talking about the PREVIEW app already on my Mac. It can be also played in PS4 Remote Play Mac. https://remoteplay.site/category/ps4-remote-play-mac/

Rather than try to explain this, I'm going to provide links to two MacWorld articles that do a much better job than I can. Please note that these two articles are about the PREVIEW app on YOSEMITE. However, the MAVERICKS version has many of the tools mentioned in the articles.

Part 1- http://www.macworld.com/article/2863...pp-part-1.html

Part 2- http://www.macworld.com/article/2865...pp-part-2.html

To capture these articles without all the ads, etc., after you open the article, use the blue "Reader" button on the top-right of the menu bar, do a File>Print, and save a PDF. I have a folder for MacWorld articles that I want to save.

Hope you find this information helpful!

Happy New Year
    Kaye
    Last edited by kmgenealogy; 08 January 2015, 01:38 PM.
    Kaye Mushalik
    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Re: Using the Mac's PREVIEW application

Thanks Kaye. I had only recently discovered screen capture in Preview. I will need to study this app further.
    ``````````````````````````````
    Grant

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
      To capture these articles without all the ads, etc., after you open the article, use the blue "Reader" button on the top-right of the menu bar, do a File>Print, and save a PDF. I have a folder for MacWorld articles that I want to save.
      Hi Kaye,
      May I call you, or you call me to discuss your process with this?
      Thanks, Frank
      Frank Zwolinski
      Researching: Zwolinski, Zubris, Ward, Wichlacz, Six, Sidney/Sypniewskie, Rickner, Mulligan, McElroy, Maciejewski, Loisy, Lindsay, Konjey, Konieczki, Janick, Ellis, Cornish, Chlebowski, Sass, Soch.
      MacBook Pro, OS X 10.8.5, Reunion 11, FireFox 38.0.5, Safari 6.2.2

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Zwolinski View Post
        Hi Kaye,
        May I call you, or you call me to discuss your process with this?
        Thanks, Frank
        Hi Frank,

I'm not comfortable with trying to explain my process to save articles over the phone. I've attached some screenshots. See if they explain the process well enough for you.

Please note that the "Reader" button is not always available in some web pages. Luckily, it is for MacWorld.com, one of my favorite sites.

Regards, Kaye
        Attached Files
        Last edited by kmgenealogy; 09 January 2015, 06:02 PM.
        Kaye Mushalik
        -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)

Comment

Kaye,
          Thank you for trying to help. I have no problem with being able to save, however there is NO "Reader" button as my screen shot shows.

Am I doing something wrong?

Frank
          Attached Files
          Frank Zwolinski
          Researching: Zwolinski, Zubris, Ward, Wichlacz, Six, Sidney/Sypniewskie, Rickner, Mulligan, McElroy, Maciejewski, Loisy, Lindsay, Konjey, Konieczki, Janick, Ellis, Cornish, Chlebowski, Sass, Soch.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Zwolinski View Post
            Kaye,
            Thank you for trying to help. I have no problem with being able to save, however there is NO "Reader" button as my screen shot shows.

Am I doing something wrong?

Frank
            Hi, Frank.

I believe that Kaye is using Safari. It works with my own version of Safari (8.0.2), although in a different way — the reader button is not a button, and it is not blue: it is an icon showing text lines that is located just before the URL (see my first attachment); when you click on it, the no-ad version of the article is displayed, and the button becomes black (see my second attachment).

Réal.
            Attached Files
            Réal Rodrigue {Rodrigue, Rioux, Labrecque, Pearson ...}
            http://www.rodrigue.phpnet.org/
            Reunion 10.0.6 & 11.0.6; Reunion for iPad; Reunion for iPhone
            MacBook Pro — OSX 10.10.5 ; iPhone 5 — iOS 9.0.2 ; iPad Mini 2 Retina — iOS 9.0.2
            Firefox, Safari, Chrome

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigue View Post
              Hi, Frank.

I believe that Kaye is using Safari. It works with my own version of Safari (8.0.2), although in a different way — the reader button is not a button, and it is not blue: it is an icon showing text lines that is located just before the URL (see my first attachment); when you click on it, the no-ad version of the article is displayed, and the button becomes black (see my second attachment).

Réal.
              Rodrigue,
              THANK YOU! Boy, that solves the problem. I am using Safari 6.2.2, and it DOES have a blue button to the right of the url.
              I would never have thought of this.
              Thanks again,
              Frank
              Frank Zwolinski

Comment

Originally posted by rodrigue View Post
                Hi, Frank.

Réal.
                Thanks for the feedback/help, Réal. I haven't updated to Yosemite & the newest Safari yet. Nice to know I won't lose the "Reader" button capability!

Frank, knowing which browser, version, etc. someone is using really helps in situations like this. That's why I have the versions I use listed in my signature. Glad you now can use the blue button!
                Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Kaye,
                  Thanks for the tip! I will add that to my signature.
                  Frank
                  Frank Zwolinski

Comment

Hi all,

How strange! - on my Safari (8.0.2) when I hold the cursor to the left of the url address I get a Circle with a +(plus sign) in the centre and in the address space itself it changes from the url to "add page to reading list".

Not a big deal but is the change by caused by differing geographical locations?

As addition- I'm having problems in getting the preview app (Ver. 8) (Yosemite 10.10.1) to open some of my pdfs.
                    Have had to resort to using Ver.7 .

Alan
                    iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                      Hi all,

How strange! - on my Safari (8.0.2) when I hold the cursor to the left of the url address I get a Circle with a +(plus sign) in the centre and in the address space itself it changes from the url to "add page to reading list".

As addition- I'm having problems in getting the preview app (Ver. 8) (Yosemite 10.10.1) to open some of my pdfs.

Alan
                      Hi.

What you get with Safari is normal with most web pages. The "reader" feature explained previously is available when there is an article on the web page that can be viewed without ads, as is the case for the Macworld articles.

However, I can't explain the Preview app behavior that you mention. I have the same version, and I haven't experienced this behavior.

Réal.
                      Réal Rodrigue {Rodrigue, Rioux, Labrecque, Pearson ...}
                      http://www.rodrigue.phpnet.org/
                      Reunion 10.0.6 & 11.0.6; Reunion for iPad; Reunion for iPhone
                      MacBook Pro — OSX 10.10.5 ; iPhone 5 — iOS 9.0.2 ; iPad Mini 2 Retina — iOS 9.0.2
                      Firefox, Safari, Chrome

Comment

........on my Safari (8.0.2) when I hold the cursor to the left of the url address I get a Circle with a +(plus sign) in the centre and in the address space itself it changes from the url to "add page to reading list".......
                        I could be wrong but my recollection is that you won't see the "lines" icon unless the page is RSS capable.
                        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Hi all,

Alan
                          Hi,
                          I think the + inside a circle is what you get when you roll your mouse over the address bar. It is only visible then. It is to add that address / article to your "Reading List."
                          Larry

Comment

Working...
                          X