Web Project / Website Hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Project / Website Hosting

I am new to Reunion and want to post my research as a web project to have it available outside of Ancestry. It has been quite a few years since I've toyed with websites. I need recommendations for reasonably priced hosting sites that will allow Reunion 13 to be run. Does anyone have any suggestions? Anything I need to know that you wish you'd known out of the gate? I appreciate any and all help.

When you make a Web Project with Reunion, it will take your data and put them on pages that can then be dealt out by the hosting service. The pages can then be viewed by any browser on any computer. The hosting service does not need to be able to run Reunion. That is one less thing to worry about.

There are many servers that will host people's web sites. I currently have mine at a free server called Rootsweb, but, alas, the party is over. They are closing their doors at the end of the year and I will have to find another server, so I will be looking forward to suggestions from others.

Comment

I see older posts about Wix not allowing the type of file that would be needed, the same with WordPress. So I'm curious about an inexpensive option. I don't have a lot of disposable income to host my work, especially until I see what the traffic looks like.

Comment

​It's true that if you use Wordpress' managed hosting you cannot upload the files generated by Reunion. What you need is a self-hosted Wordpress site (Wordpress.org) that can be hosted on any platform of your choosing. Here is an article that can better explain the difference. https://wordpress.com/go/website-bui...wordpress-org/

I have a WordPress site and have DreamHost as the hosting company. Dreamhost allows me to upload thefiles from Reunion but you cannot manage those files through WordPress. Those files have to be uploaded via SFTP. But you will have to pay for hosting and a domain.You'll have to research all the hosting plans out there to see what one is right for you. All of them have different features and you’ll need to decide what’s most important. Starting off with shared hosting plan might be better to start with until you know if you need something more.

Comment

I've just seen this post. As I am trying to do the same thing, I thought I'd reply rather than begin another post. I am just beginning to understand the process of web site hosting. I am completely not technical so am looking for something simple. If I have to start getting to grips with html coding it will be beyond me. I understand that there aren't many website builders that are suitable for use with a genealogy site. I've read a little about Wordpress.org but I don't understand the difficulty with file transfer, or what 'uploaded via SFTP' means.

Here's a helpful blog from FamilyTree magazine that mentions Reunion
          It’s easy and inexpensive to set up a family history website that will put you in charge of your clan’s online dream home.

Considering how popular genealogy is these days, it is surprising that there is little to be found on the internet about how to put your own site into a web browser (if that's the right terminology!) And there is very little to be learned of the difficulties when you look at the top web building sites like Wix etc.

Here is another site (TNG) I've seen other genealogists use. I am considering this. I know I can upload a GEDCOM. I am wondering if I could include a 'pointer' to Reunion. There is a one off purchase cost, then whatever the monthly cost of a host would be.

TNG recommends as host https://www.simplyhosting.net/genealogyhosting

I'm assuming it doesn't matter what country you're in. Simply Hosting is priced in dollars but I am in the UK.

Regards
          Jane

Comment

Working...
          X