Creating a Custom Paper Size for Larger Charts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating a Custom Paper Size for Larger Charts

For those lucky people who have access to a plotter and for those who are outsourcing to a print shop, here are a few helpful tips I've learned about creating a large/custom paper size.

Nota Bene: for these first steps, Reunion is not open on my Mac. I'm using TextEdit.

I. You can create a Custom Paper Size using TextEdit, Pages, or most any standard macOS application.

Choose File > Print.
    1. click the Paper Size pop-up menu, then choose Manage Custom Sizes
    2. click the Add (+) to add a new paper size, then specify the paper size you want.

II. Once you add a custom paper size, it will be available in any app that uses the macOS print dialog.

III. In the screen capture below, you can see that I have created a custom paper size for Tabloid (11" x 17"). I can't fit that paper into my home printer, but I have access to a copier where I print those pages.

custom-size.jpg

IV. In the above image, you'll also notice there are standard paper sizes for plotters based on Architectural Drawings/Plans, e.g. ARCH D is 24" x 36". I created custom sizes for the three most-common plotter standards. There are several online sites that define standard plotter paper sizes. If you're outsourcing to a print shop, you'll be able to confirm they support these standard sizes.

Now I'm ready to open REUNION...

Use Reunion to create a chart, such as a Fan Chart or Ancestor Chart

1. then click File --> Page Setup... and select the best paper size
    2. Click File --> Open in Preview OR Click Print --> and use the PDF drop down to save as PDF
    3. Finally, deliver the PDF to the print shop.

chart-size.jpg

I'm sure I've missed a step or been less that clear on some point, but I hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by KirkS; 13 May 2023, 08:57 AM.
    Researching Western NC and Northeast GA and any family connected to Caney Fork in Jackson County, NC

This is all very helpful. But how do I know in advance what size the paper should be? I know it can't be more than 36" wide (the widest Kinko/FedEx has), but how do I figure out how long it needs to be?

Comment

If you go to the Reunion main menu at the top of the display and choose File>Get info, the chart size (no frame) numbers are what’s relevant. If both dimensions are too big, you’ll need to change the chart orientation or scale the printing size down.

We can do that for you at HFG from your native Reunion chart file, and we can go beyond 36” wide to 60” wide by almost any length you might need.
      Last edited by ttl; 12 March 2024, 11:15 AM.
      Tim Lundin
      Heartland Family Graphics
      http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

clairebettag: Plotter paper is a roll so theoretically it can be as long as you wish; however, I think you would be safer to stick one of the "standard" dimensions referenced in my link above.

Researching Western NC and Northeast GA and any family connected to Caney Fork in Jackson County, NC

Comment

Having worked for an engineering firm years ago, I had access to their plotter and yes you can create those large formats within the MacOS print function. I have had and used Reunion Software for more than 20 years. During one of my first encounters with Reunion’s Chart system all those many years ago, I promptly made all of the common engineering print formats; including: A = 8x12 in thru F = 48x60 in. I did this for multiple reasons.

Perhaps the most important of those reasons is to reduce the number of “pages” shown on the chart I am working on. (NOTE: I find those background grid lines to be distracting and by using larger formats (even when I DO NOT have a {standard 8.5x11 inch} printer available — it died nearly 10 years ago) it is nice to know that I can have those large format charts printed locally by a shop that will take my PDF files and turn them into great good looking paper charts if I so choose to spend the $$.​

Comment

Working...
          X