Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using FTM for sharing photos & documents...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using FTM for sharing photos & documents...

I have been reading this morning about using Reunion and FTM and I would like to try to make this work for me. I would love to share my tree with my sister and have photos and documents for her to see. I watched a video by Ben Sayer about tips for importing a GEDcom into FTM from Reunion but it's for FTM 10. Does anyone know if it is still applicable?

Also, Bob White, one of the posts I read you stated you use FTM as a library for your documents, photos, etc.. That is what I think I am looking for. You also mentioned you have both Reunion and FTM set up side by side... What is your workflow? You enter the information into Reunion first? I am very curious about this.

I also would like to enter DNA information and I am wondering how FTM handles this...

Last question (for now at least), is MacKiev going to keep updating their Mac software? What is out now is 2019 (I believe that is the most current version) and it seems like it's due for an update. Maybe there has been a blog about this but I haven't read it. This is a company that is based in Kyiv I believe and I hope they are safe...

Thanks for the help! I am not sure my brain can handle a change such as this but I am willing to give it a try. Happy and safe 4th to everyone!
    2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Yes, I use FTM as a library. No, I do not work with it side by side. I only open FTM several times monthly to synch with Ancestry or look up a document or drag in a document.

Workflow is quite informal. Using a large 27" monitor, my side by side is Reunion on the left and whatever I'm using for research on the right; might be browsing some website, might be Ancestry, FamilySearch, MyHeritage, etc... P.S. I do not move files using Gedcom as I, as a very fast typist, think side by side manual entry beats the heck out of cleaning up after a Gedcom import.

I'm not into doing the DNA research, so I have no clue about that question.

Unknown to me about MacKiev current status, Back around Thanksgiving, the CEO put out an email saying everyone was OK and mostly working from home.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Hi-Thank you, Bob. So you do your main work in Reunion (which I am very used to using) and if you come across a death certificate, census, story, etc., those go into FTM? Do you have some kind of note in Reunion to tell you that a census for that person is in FTM? I appreciate you taking the time so that I can pick your brain... Judy

Comment

Short answer... yes. Please remember that I'm that guy.. the one who doesn't use the Sources structure in Reunion. I'm also not 100% perfect. I usually do note findings in Notes in narrative style and fill in the blanks of a paste-ins for some common items. (Example for a census page: Federal Census: Year: NNNN Place: aaa, aaa, aaa Roll: NNN Page: NNN District: NN Image: XXXX) I don't note that it is in my FTM library; that is assumed.)
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Well, I am that gal then because I have my own way of doing sources. And it's working for me. Thanks again, Bob... Judy

Comment

Working...
          X