Using FTM to sync to Ancestry-issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using FTM to sync to Ancestry-issues

We just completed a major downsizing and move from New York State to Florida in the midst of the pandemic, so after a hiatus of a couple of years, I’m finally back working on my genealogy.

Although contemplating this for quite a while, I only recently purchased a copy of FTM 2019 so that I can GEDCOM my Reunion (my primary) information to FTM to Ancestry.com. I am generally happy with how the information transferred, but being a newbie at this, I have run into snags that I am hoping folks can help me untangle.

First, and most importantly, only parts of each of my sources transferred from Reunion to FTM. I am guessing that only the GEDCOM tags that matched FTM tags transferred. Is that correct? Would anyone who has successfully synced their sources be willing to share their tags? I do use the Reunion templates and have over 800 sources.

Secondly, none of my Reunion Military Notes transferred to FTM. I see that the tag MILI is not recognized in GEDCOM. Do I need to change the tag to NOTES in Reunion? Is there a better option?

Thirdly, I have a Reunion Note labelled Research which is where I keep all my research questions and tasks (with a Reunion GEDCOM tag HIST) that is apparently not used by GEDCOM. Is there a way to get that to be recognized in the Tasks tab in FTM?

Thank you in advance for any help with the above!

http://www.reedandberbachfamilies.com/
    Reed, Berbach, Sprung, Ralbovsky, Delamater, Rankie, Brownell

Ben Sayer has a helpful discussion of what transfers from Reunion into FTM and what doesn't. Also helpful discussion about modifying your gedcom file from Reunion to complete its trip into FTM:

FTM Support Site Hacked?
    I am running into trouble with FTM and visited the MacKiev FTM tech support site. I embarked on a "Chat" with a supposed tech rep who, with no discussion of the problem, asked what version of FTM I'm using. I told him (it's the latest version according to MacKiev). He immediately told me my version needed to be updated and he could do that for $179.99. Since the program was up-to-date per MacKiev and since his "upgrade" was $100.00 more than the complete FTM program I passed. Appears to me the support site for FTM has been hacked (the Russians at work?). I found a phone number for FTM and called them and asked if their site had been hacked. The fellow I spoke with asked when my Chat was - about 2 hours before that call - He said he'd let the right people look into it.

Comment

FTM's physical offices are in Kyiv. How did you get to the "support site"? Did you Google and follow a convenient link that came up? It sounds like that is what happened and it took you to a fake support site. The real FTM support page is https://support.mackiev.com. If that is not what you did, I apologize for this impromptu analysis.
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

In response to cponeill, thank you for the very useful link to Ben Sayer's discussion about exporting a gedcom from Reunion to FTM:
        Originally posted by cponeill View Post
        Ben Sayer has a helpful discussion of what transfers from Reunion into FTM and what doesn't. Also helpful discussion about modifying your gedcom file from Reunion to complete its trip into FTM:

https://genealogytools.com/secrets-t...maker-for-mac/
        The tutorial is especially useful for successfully importing multimedia and for finding a list of tags used by Reunion but not imported by FTM. However, it does not discuss changing the gedcom tags. Has anyone successfully changed their tags? And if so what tags proved successful? (i.e.: MILI to NOTES?)
        Last edited by lrberbach; 20 April 2022, 12:08 PM.
        http://www.reedandberbachfamilies.com/
        Reed, Berbach, Sprung, Ralbovsky, Delamater, Rankie, Brownell

Comment

Working...
        X