This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reunion and TNG

I have been using Reunion of a long time but have only recently started a genealogy website using TNG genealogy software to build out my site. I notice that certain characters that are typed into Reunion do not translate onto my website. For example, the symbol ", i.e. quotation marks, usually appear as ? on my TNG-based site after I import to my website via GEDCOM.

Any suggestions how to avoid this problem for information I have been inputting into Reunion for a long time? Thanks!

Re: Reunion and TNG

Originally posted by LarryB View Post
    I have been using Reunion of a long time but have only recently started a genealogy website using TNG genealogy software to build out my site. I notice that certain characters that are typed into Reunion do not translate onto my website. For example, the symbol ", i.e. quotation marks, usually appear as ? on my TNG-based site after I import to my website via GEDCOM.

Any suggestions how to avoid this problem for information I have been inputting into Reunion for a long time? Thanks!
    This already happened to me in the past. My solution was to be sure that when I export the GEDCOM, the character set chosen in the GEDCOM export parameters is Windows. But it is also possible that while your problem seems similar to mine, the source of the problem might be different...
    Réal Rodrigue {Rodrigue, Rioux, Labrecque, Pearson ...}
    http://www.rodrigue.phpnet.org/
    Reunion 10.0.6 & 11.0.6; Reunion for iPad; Reunion for iPhone
    MacBook Pro — OSX 10.10.5 ; iPhone 5 — iOS 9.0.2 ; iPad Mini 2 Retina — iOS 9.0.2
    Firefox, Safari, Chrome

Comment

I run into this when I take text that was entered into Microsoft WORD and paste it into my web page editor or Reunion. Word likes to use Unicode right and left curly quotes, apostrophes, ellipsis character for three periods in a row, etc. These get screwed up when they are converted to the UTF-8 character set on the web. If you are using WORD, you can turn off these options in its preferences, or you can avoid using WORD for this and use a text editor or the editor in Reunion itself.

The preferences in WORD are on the AUTOCORRECT preference panel, under the AUTOFORMAT AS YOU TYPE tab. Turn off some of the Replace As You Type options.

There's a pretty nice explanation of all this here: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=266210

If you aren't using WORD (or one of the other Microsoft OFFICE suite applications), then, as Roseann Roseannadana says - "Never mind!"

Don
      Last edited by donworth; 18 August 2014, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryB View Post

This indicates that there is a mismatch of character set somewhere along the path from Reunion via GEDCOM to TNG

Take a look at your TNG database using your host's cPanel ------> phpMyAdmin and see what it shows for the collation of the database - probably either one of

latin1_xxxxx_ci
        utf8_xxxxxx_ci

where xxxxx might be Swedish or General perhaps.

Now look in your TNG Admin and see what is set there for Character Set under the Language setting in General Settings and in Languages.

If your database is set to latin1_xxxxx_ci then in these places TNG needs to be set to ISO-8859-1

If your database is set to utf8_xxxxx_ci then these please in TNG need to be set to UTF-8

Now depending on what you found (latin1 or utf8) you need to export the GEDCOM file from Reunion with the required encoding.

For latin1 choose "Windows"
        for utf8 choose UTf-8

in Reunion's GEDCOM export dialog.

Roger
        Roger Moffat
        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Working...
        X