X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scrivener for Genealogists

Originally posted by anitab View Post
    Kaye, when I went to Hack Genealogy, I found that I could purchase the 'Getting Started with Scrivener' video and obtain the 'handouts' for $4.95 - I'm excited! Since I already have the program, I want to use it well for my family history project!
    Great! Have you also watched the videos on the The Armchair Genealogist blog? -
    Kaye Mushalik
    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Gwen Hernandez's Intro to Scrivener class starts today! Looking forward to it. Let me know if you are taking it. So far, I seem to be the only one who signed up. Bradley seemed to be interested but never said he signed up.
      Kaye Mushalik
      -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)

Comment

Hi Kaye,

I'm very interested in an exchange about using Scrivener and Reunion together. I had a look at Gwen Hernandez' website and decided not to follow those lessons since I know Scrivener's basics and more rather well.

I use Scrivener for many years for all kind of writings, and since years I'm struggling with it for genealogy. It's not a problem of using Scrivener, but using it efficiently in connection with other applications, like DevonThink Pro, Bento and Aeon Timeline.

At the moment I copy and paste a lot of data from one application to the other, trying to convince myself this being not completely useless, because I get copies of data in many places, hardware and software and cloud.

But I'm sure I still haven't found my best way of practice. To be honest, it's quite a mess, and sometimes I don't touch the genealogy files for months, because I have the desperate feeling I should find a better way of entering data and write down the things I want to be written down. For this part, I'm sure Scrivener is the best application for me.

Ursula
        Mac OS 10.5.8, OS X 10.11.5, Reunion 10.0.6
        Reunion for iPhone and iPad

Comment

Originally posted by Ursula View Post
          Hi Kaye,

I'm very interested in an exchange about using Scrivener and Reunion together. I had a look at Gwen Hernandez' website and decided not to follow those lessons since I know Scrivener's basics and more rather well.
          <snip>
          Ursula
          Hi Ursula,

I don't think there is a way to use Scrivener & Reunion together other than using info that you have added to Reunion to help with your writing. This sounds like you are doing that now.

I am truly a beginner with using Scrivener so, have not used it for genealogy writing yet. However, I have been collecting resources for using Scrivener. Some of the resources address using it for genealogy and others are resources for just using Scrivener for writing. Here is what I have found interesting, so far:

SCRIVENER RESOURCES

Some of these sites are for using Scrivener for genealogy and others seem to have good info for the general use of Scrivener.

FREE

— Moultrie Creek Gazette - Set Up A Family History Project in Scrivener -
          Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

— The Armchair Genealogist -

— Star Tier - Scrivener Resources -

— Scrivener Tuts -

— makeuseof - Make Better Use of Scrivener -

COURSES THAT COST MONEY

Disclaimer: I am currently taking Gwen Hernandez’s “Intro to Scrivener” Course. I have not had any experience with any of the other courses mentioned here.

— Gwen Hernandez - Scrivener Training - ($20-$25 each) - interactive through a forum format -

— Scrivener Coach’s Learn Scrivener Fast - ($97-$197) - video -

— Learn Scrivener - ($97) - video -

Perhaps something here will help you.

Regards, Kaye
          Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Kaye, you are an angel, well I would think this even though I don't believe in ANGELS.
            That reference to Moultree Gazette |tech support for the family historian, is now a must on my iPad. !
            And I haven't yet tried Scrivener! That is a next on my short list of mustdos.
            The issue today of Moultree Gazette blog which I subscribed to today, is full of all the questions lagging in my brain.
            Many times I have read that Mac users have frustrations like we get, like future proofing, and this one article/blog shows so many practical answers, it is kind of unbelievable.
            Too many to comment here. ..... Check for yourself
            So thanks a million Kaye. 😍😍😍😍
            I had almost given up on my clumsy start on the 'family story' but now I have a renewed interest.! Good luck to all.
            Regards to all from sunny Australia!
            Noel Fields Australia
            email > nefields@me.com <
            Researching Fields, Majewski, Watson, Hurwood, Parker.

Comment

Noel, so glad I was able to post a reference that helped you! I don't read the blogs everyday so missed the one on future-proofing. I'll take a look at it.

Regards from rainy (we needed it!) Oregon!
              Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Thanks, Kaye, wonderful links!
                Bradley Jansen
                OS 10.15.2 on a MacBook Pro using Reunion 12 and ReunionTouch 1.0.9

Comment

Originally posted by Ursula View Post
                  At the moment I copy and paste a lot of data from one application to the other, trying to convince myself this being not completely useless, because I get copies of data in many places, hardware and software and cloud.
                  Ursula
                  Ursula,
                  I have my actual sources (like birth/marriage/death certificates; newspaper articles I've clipped, etc.) in a genealogy file & folder organization system on my Mac - I love Ben Sayers method for using the Finder to create that system:

If I have a document I want to use when I am writing in Scrivener, I open Scrivener; then I open the finder and navigate to the folder containing the information I wish to transcribe or use in my writing; I will drag individual documents (like a census) from my files, into a folder in "Research" on the left bar of Scrivener; or it is even possible to drag a whole folder into the "Research" category. Then you can do a split window, so you can view information while writing or transcribing.

I'm afraid this may not be clear - it's so much easier to explain with screenshots!
                  Anita

Comment

Kay, that is a wonderful collection of links for Scrivener education - thank you!!

I don't remember how I found out, but I don't see it in this thread, so I'll mention that I recently found out that there is a Group on Facebook, Scrivener for Genealogists:
                    Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

They share handouts and articles and schedules for training there.

-Anita

Comment

Originally posted by anitab View Post
                      there is a Group on Facebook, Scrivener for Genealogists:
                      Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

They share handouts and articles and schedules for training there.

-Anita
                      Anita,
                      Thanks for the reminder about the Facebook group! I don't know why I didn't include it in my list as I am a member too! I guess we sometimes take things for granted and don't think of them as special. However, this group is special!
                      Kaye Mushalik

Comment

*******Scrivener is 25% off through March 24 with coupon code 25OFFSCRIV.
                        It was $45.00 | With the coupon code it is now $33.75********

You have to buy it through their website, not on Mac Store. Although, you may want to watch the Mac Store in case the price is changed. As of just now, it hasn't.

Go to
                        Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Hello Kay,
                          I use Scrivener, like it too. Would you give some examples of what you mean, or how, you would use Scrivener in the genealogy process? Wondering about "proof standard" work sheet for example.

I currently use it for writing various articles, my blog and gathering materials for a book.
                          Thanks, Bonnie

Information about Scrivener:

(1) Main website - http://www.literatureandlatte.com/sc...p?platform=mac

(2) How to use Scrivener in genealogy - http://www.thearmchairgenealogist.co...w-writing.html

23 Jul 2014-Scrivener is still on sale.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with these products/websites except as a user.[/QUOTE]
                          Bonnie Samuel
                          Research: Samuel, Gillan, Roper, McClure, Samuell, Windfuhr, Windgassen in NC, KY, IL, KS, Ireland, Germany.

Comment

Scrivener is 25 per cent off for limited time using code from this offer:

Have to buy from the Scrivener website, not the Mac App Store.
                            Kaye Mushalik

Comment

I bought Scrivener probably a year ago, attended Lisa Alzo's webinar, started a project, but still have trouble "making the switch" to actually using it.

If everyone on this thread would go to Lynda.com (which has great training video courses, but nothing on Scrivener) and do a search for "Scrivener," that company should notice that we are looking for courses on that, and they might eventually find and pay someone to create the courses. On a monthly basis, Lynda.com is $25 per month, no contract, so assuming a Scrivener series was there, a lot of learning could be had in 29 days for $25.

Nothing against Gwen's classes, I'm sure they are excellent, just would hope to find something more affordable.

Comment

Originally posted by Susan Freas Rogers View Post
                                I bought Scrivener probably a year ago, attended Lisa Alzo's webinar, started a project, but still have trouble "making the switch" to actually using it.

If everyone on this thread would go to Lynda.com (which has great training video courses, but nothing on Scrivener) and do a search for "Scrivener," that company should notice that we are looking for courses on that, and they might eventually find and pay someone to create the courses. On a monthly basis, Lynda.com is $25 per month, no contract, so assuming a Scrivener series was there, a lot of learning could be had in 29 days for $25.

Nothing against Gwen's classes, I'm sure they are excellent, just would hope to find something more affordable.
                                Hi Susan,
                                Actually Gwen Hernandez's classes are quite affordable! Her book on Scrivener is also good and quite easy to get working on Scrivener. Here's the link for classes: http://gwenhernandez.com/scrivener-c...nline-classes/
                                Bonnie
                                Bonnie Samuel
                                Research: Samuel, Gillan, Roper, McClure, Samuell, Windfuhr, Windgassen in NC, KY, IL, KS, Ireland, Germany.

Comment

Working...
                                X