Lost documents, lost emails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost documents, lost emails

I seem to have lost all my documents from my iMac - late 2013. Can still open Reunion and most other software. Clicking search on known files draws a blank
    Now this morning my wife has lost all her emails - macbook air 2019.
    Any tips please on how we might get the lost docs and emails back please ?
    Rupert Cuddon-Large ; Lives in Jersey
    Using R12 on iMac 2013, running Catalina; RTouch on iPad
    Researching Large; Cuddon; Fletcher; Ford; Gadsdon; Reynolds and Christian

This may sound simplistic but I would suggest you do a complete re-start of your macs.

This may clear whatever is hiding your docs.

On the other hand to fix the documents that have disappeared from your iMac Open and click "Finder" from the top left menu bar. Click Preference and choose Sidebar tab > tick "Documents".
    This may help.
    Alan
    iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

Thanks Alan, I did as you suggested but see that I already have Documents checked under Finder Preferences. I can see the "lost" documents but my desktop is completely clear - never used to be - and clicking on documents brings up a blank = just a screen with Microsoft User data in a folder !! Will try a complete restart next but think I did that already

Comment

Update: found my documents on the iMac under iCloud drive(archive).
        But Documents folder still empty. Can I move these simply back to "Documents" ?
        Sorry if this very basic but I've not come across this before.

Comment

Late to the party here but here's what I'm thinking based on your listed symptoms. In earlier versions of Catalina, the macOS was popping up a message regarding enabling the "Desktop & Documents” storage option on your Mac’s iCloud Drive. If you said OK to that, oops!, files on your Desktop and in the Documents folder moved to your iCloud. One of several articles that I found about fixing things back to your normal is at https://pdf.wondershare.com/macos-10...cos-10-15.html.

If you Google the subject, you should find a boatload of articles. I know because I helped several people get things back to their normal. (Note: Undocumented but Apple quit popping up the offer during the later part of the Catalina era; too many users having grief.)
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

For document check the recycle bin or you can check Recent Documents or Sheets.
            Usually all email accounts have a folder called Trash or Deleted Items, or some name like that to hold up deleted emails.

Comment

Monday update : to our surprise, all my wife's emails have suddenly returned to the inbox on her MacBook Air ! She knows neither know what caused the original "loss" nor this reappearance ..... But good news anyway. She's now busy saving any vital ones as pdfs in case this happens again.
              Thanks for the suggestions : I checked that "desktop and documents" was unchecked in iCloud Drive - it was, so no joy there. I had a google and have a few clues but still no full restoration process. It's made me go through and copy any vital files to a pen drive in case the problem persists.
              Its these basics of file handling that I often struggle with. If I could, I'd happily pay some one more experienced to sit down with me for say an hour or two a week to give me some tips on regular mac issues like file , email and photo handling. Shame you don't live a few thousand miles nearer Bob.......Living on a small island makes it difficult, but if that help could extend to tips in using Reunion, that would be a great start to 2022......without a User Group here, this forum is a vital facility for me and long may it continue.....

Comment

Working...
              X