Export multimedia and source detail to FTM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Export multimedia and source detail to FTM

I have spent a significant amount of time migrating my data out of FTM and into Reunion for day to day work. I far prefer Reunion BUT I would like to periodically export an updated file back to FTM for sharing through Ancestry.
    My problem is that I have yet to be able to work out how to get Source/citation data and multimedia files back to FTM.
    I create individual sources for individual records(cmd records, census pages etc) with fields containing data and attach a multimedia image to that source of the record itself.
    None of this data makes it through to FTM even though the check box on the export screen is ticked. Am I doing s as nothing wrong? Is it possible to export these images and data in a gedcom export? All my multimedia files are stored in a folder on my computer
    I do hope someone can help me as I am stumped!
    Thanks
    Patrick

one further info - It appears that the Source titles have gone across (e.g. 1851 England Census) but nothing in the way of sub-detail that is included in the Reunion source that Created (e.g. date, location, reference no, URL etc). The pictures are all there in FTM too, but are not attached to anything at all even though they are all attached to a Source in Reunion.
    Thanks
    Patrick

Comment

After more investigation it appears that the detail is being exported in the GEDCOM. I don't really know what I am looking at really but investigating the GEDCOM with TextEdit I can see for example:

0 @S916@ SOUR
      1 TYPE Burial
      1 TITL Find A Grave Index for Burials at Sea and other Select Burial Locations, 1300s-Current
      1 AUTH https://www.findagrave.com
      1 DATE 7 Dec 1915 1 PLAC Azmak Cemetery-Gallipoli, Çanakkale, Turkey; Plot: II.E.15.
      1 REGI Memorial ID 56395939
      1 LOCA https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...aham-littleboy
      1 PUBL https://www.findagrave.com
      1 TEXT Record for Frederic Graham Littleboy
      2 CONT Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/...aham-littleboy : accessed 11 January 2022), memorial page for LT Frederic Graham Littleboy (Aug 1893–7 Dec 1915), Find a Grave Memorial ID 56395939, citin
      2 CONC g Azmak Cemetery, Gallipoli, Çanakkale, Turkey ; Maintained by War Graves (contributor 6) .
      2 CONT
      2 CONT Lieutenant Frederick Graham Littleboy, 1st Battalion Royal West Kent Regiment, attached 9th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment, died of wounds on 7th December 1915. He is buried in Azmak Cemetery, Suvla Bay.
      2 CONT
      2 CONT "Lieutenant F. Graham Littleboy, 1st Royal West Kent Regiment, attached 9th Worcestershire Regiment, was the elder son of Mr and Mrs Frederic Littleboy, of Kilmeena, West Byfleet, Surrey. Born in August, 1893, he was educated at Fettes College, an
      2 CONC d on the declaration of war was in his second year at Oriel College, Oxford. He was three months in France and Flanders as a despatch rider before receiving his commission in November, 1914. He was sent to Gallipoli with a draft of the Worcestersh
      2 CONC ire Regiment in October, 1915, and on December 7, while serving with that regiment, was wounded, and died the same day."
      2 CONT
      2 CONT He was the 22 year-old son of Frederic and Susan Amy Littleboy, of "Kilmeena," West Byfleet, Surrey.
      1 OBJE
      2 FORM jpg
      2 FILE ~/Documents/My Family History/Littleboy_Isles/Pictures/Imported Media/Littleboy, Frederic Graham-Gravestone.jpeg

So it appears the data is exported successfully.
      At the FTM end however it looks like the sources are there but without some important data fields (e.g. TEXT, CONT, CONC). More importantly, in FTM I only get the source title against an individual. None of the source data or image.

Is the retrievable?
      Thanks
      Patrick

Comment

I see that in my latest upload to Ancestry from a gedcom where I asked for references to export, the things I listed as sources are there.
        Last edited by LindaCK; 17 January 2022, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Do you have the detail in your sources?
          For example, the image of a census page or the details and hyperlink?
          My ancestry tree does show a source e.g “1851 Census” but that is all I get. None of the detail or multimedia.

This appears to be a gedcom import/export issue and I’m sure that someone else might be able to enlighten me. At the moment I wonder whether it is worth th effort to move out of FTM to Reunion if I can’t get the data back to go online

Comment

You are correct- it is loading the written information, but not the source documents. I don't know that that can be done- could be a big deal for Ancestry to "accept" documents that they have not sourced themselves. It's ok for me, because I use Ancestry as a resource, and don't keep Reunion and Ancestry in sync. I'm just looking for anything new. Having the note in a newly updated and uploaded gedmcom at least let's me know I already have a specific item (i.e. an 1850 census), and I can ignore the hint in Ancestry. The way I'm doing it is a lot of work and would like to see if other people have suggestions.

I have not tried the following though: All of my sources are images or pdf's and are considered multimedia in Reunion. When you do a Reunion export, try checking the box "all multimedia." Do the documents then upload into Ancestry? Also, researching the Ancestry site about gedcom uploads might give us some hints about what is/is not possible.

Comment

Hi. It is the multimedia and citation detail in the Red noon sources that aren’t making their way into FTM for some reason. They exported out of FTM and into Reunion fine (albeit in free form text form rather than detailed fields. The multimedia came out too. The reverse Reunion to FTM doesn’t play ball. I do have the checkbox for multimedia ticked

Comment

Working...
              X