Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Reunion's Event Memos transfer, via GEDCOM and FTM, to an Ancestry Tree profile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can Reunion's Event Memos transfer, via GEDCOM and FTM, to an Ancestry Tree profile?

A solution has been found (and its super easy!):

1. In Reunion's GEDCOM-export dialog: set the "Destination" drop-down to Ancestry.com (the default setting, is "GEDCOM 5.5.1").

2. In FTM 2019 for Mac: import this GEDCOM with the "Custom (Reunion) GEDCOM" option checked.

3. Voila! You're done. Now sync the tree to Ancestry.

Using this method will accomplish two things: the first 255 characters (about two long sentences) of your event memos will show up in the body of a profile on the replicant of your tree, on Ancestry--this was my hope all along--the purpose of this post, originally.
    thumbnail images for everyone in your Reunion tree will show up on your Ancestry.com replicant, as well
    (TY to Mark at Reunion for some guidance on this!)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ryan_N; 22 October 2021, 10:28 AM.
    noyesancestors@gmail.com

This is an export from FTM2019 where I placed some text in the "Description" filed of a Baptism Event

Code:
    1 BAPM Description of Lisa's BirthEvent
    2 DATE Redacted
    2 PLAC Port Clinton, Ottawa Co., Ohio, USA
    This is an export from Reunion where I put the same text in the "Memo" field of the Baptism Event

Code:
    1 BAPM
    2 DATE Redacted
    2 PLAC Port Clinton, Ottawa Co., Ohio, USA
    2 NOTE Memo of Lisa’s BirthEvent
    So I guess the challenge is to take the line that starts with "2 NOTE " and strip that off and then put it after "1 BAPM "

Not impossible I'm sure, but not something I have time to play with today.

Roger
    Last edited by theKiwi; 18 September 2021, 07:47 AM.
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

theKiwi thanks for posting this--and for doing so with the code in fixed-width--very clean. I've evaluated these GEDCOM files as well---also did same for one I exported directly from Ancestry (with text manually entered into the Description field, in Ancestry itself). Haven't yet checked RootsMagic but I assume it will resemble the one you shared for FTM2019.

If we can identify a very simple "for dummies" workflow to map Reunion's "Memo" to Ancestry's "Fact Description"--one that to potentially includes running a script after the GEDCOM exports, that we could share with others, I'm all for it. I've held off on publishing the steps involved in making a Reunion tree's source-citations to look as they do here, on Ancestry:

scr 2021-09-17 at 9.10.33 PM.jpg

...in hopes we might find such a solution that's easy for all to use. What you see just above in the "Detail" label, though sort of spiffy, is not an ideal solution for the reasons I described earlier.

Goal is to publish the steps for sharing a Reunion tree on Ancestry after this last remaining kink is ironed out.

Thanks again for chiming in / looking into this!
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Ryan_N; 17 September 2021, 08:30 PM.
      noyesancestors@gmail.com

Comment

It will need someone far cleverer than I am with RegEx and scripting to sort that out.

The BBEdit mailing list is probably a good place to start with that - there are some very clever people who answer such questions there, but I don't have time at the moment at least to write out the question with examples so that someone can come up with the needed magic.

Roger
        Roger Moffat

Comment

The BBEdit mailing list is probably a good place to start with that
          Funny, I was actually considering doing this last night. If only I followed through, I'd have been able to respond with my a post to there. Indeed there are some lads on there who are geniuses with this sort of challenge. In the end, I opted to hang tight and email Mark to see if perhaps Reunion's own braintrust might be willing to write a nice and easy downloadable script for this.

The problem with even a simple script, though, is that it introduces another component to a process that I want to be as brutally simple for the end user as possible.

theKiwi tangentially, I coincidentally emailed you thorough the form on your "clanmoffat" website. My question: I was curious if the notes that display below person "facts" on your TNG website, are in fact the contents of your event Memos in Reunion?
          noyesancestors@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan_N View Post
            theKiwi tangentially, I coincidentally emailed you thorough the form on your "clanmoffat" website. My question: I was curious if the notes that display below person "facts" on your TNG website, are in fact the contents of your event Memos in Reunion?
            Sorry - been busy with car museum stuff, and taking a car to a fancy car show in Detroit the end of last week and over the weekend...

Yes the Notes under events in TNG (like census transcripts and other items), come from Reunion's Memo field by the GEDCOM file.

Roger
            Roger Moffat

Comment

You must live close! I'm in Oakland County (Bloomfield Twp.). TY for this info concerning memos and TNG.

You might be amused; I just wrote a citation an hour ago that pointed to the Berlin-Coos County, New Hampshire Historical Society as the repository. It's better-known name is: "Moffit House," and so, that name, too, was embedded within the same citation..
              Last edited by Ryan_N; 20 September 2021, 11:13 PM.
              noyesancestors@gmail.com

Comment

Why can’t Reunion just sync with my tree at Ancestry.com without having to export a GEDCOM file and the upload it to Ancestry as a new/different tree?
                bigfoot4

OS X 10.13

Reunion 12
                Reunion Touch 1.0.8

Comment

Originally posted by bigfoot4 View Post
                  Why can’t Reunion just sync with my tree at Ancestry.com without having to export a GEDCOM file and the upload it to Ancestry as a new/different tree?
                  That's a question that I've been asking myself for a long time. There is definitely a need for it. Many other genealogy programs have this feature. Why not Reunion?

Comment

Working...
                  X