This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How images are "stored" in Reunion 10

Back in the day, some patient soul instructed me on the difference between the "logical" structure of a database and the "physical" structure. Assuming there is still a distinction, I need some help understanding how images are"stored" in the Multimedia windows of Reunion 10.

The question comes up as I try to develop and test a workflow to get images from Aperture 3 (where I store the originals as masters) downstream into a repository set up in Finder. From there, I source images for use in Reunion *and* in DEVONthink Pro Office. I was introduced to DtPO by Andrew-Bede Allsop on these ReunionTalk forums and thank him for that. That app is an ideal research workbench for my genealogy work.

Images that are headed for Reunion and DtPO are exported to a repository set us as a single folder in Finder dedicated to this one purpose. Then, to get the image into DtPO, I use that app's file indexing feature which is very strong with one caveat -- the link created to the image breaks with any change in any part of the path to the image. Once the link is broken, what was once an image of my ancestor becomes an error message requiring attention.

To get the image into Reunion is much easier -- just use the "+" in the Multimedia window of choice, choose the file in the Finder repository, and "Boom!" there it is in Reunion.

For workflow purposes, I find I can accomplish both links (Reunion and DtPO) in one process. I can index (link) the image in the Finder repository to DtPO's folder on the person and then drag that resultant image from DtPO right into the Multimedia window of the person in Reunion. Two images placed with one stroke.

For testing, I broke the link from the Finder to DtPO. As expected, the DtPO error message appeared immediately. However, when I checked Reunion (expecting to see some signs of trouble), the image was still there. When I picked "show in finder" in the Reunion context menu, it showed me the location was the Finder repository with no reference to DtPO whatsoever! This is great, but if I don't understand it (or have someone who does be able to reassure me), I'm going to get cold feet and abandon this two-at-one-stroke workflow step.

If you've been able to wade through this, I appreciate that and will welcome any information about how the Reunion multimedia linking (or aliasing or whatever) works as well as any thoughts on the process I've tried to describe above.

Thanks very much.

Re: How images are "stored" in Reunion 10

I see that no one has responded to this message in many months. That's too bad because the poster really spent some time to detail what his issue was.

I think the answer to all of these questions is contained in the Reunion 10 help file. If you search help for the term multimedia, you get a pretty detailed description on things like thumbnails and links to actual files. Unless I really don't understand the original poster, I think all will find the answer in the help file.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Smith View Post
      ...........Then, to get the image into DtPO, I use that app's file indexing feature which is very strong with one caveat -- the link created to the image breaks with any change in any part of the path to the image. Once the link is broken, what was once an image of my ancestor becomes an error message requiring attention....

....If you've been able to wade through this, I appreciate that and will welcome any information about how the Reunion multimedia linking (or aliasing or whatever) works as well as any thoughts on the process I've tried to describe above.......
      At the time, I saw the posting but didn't respond simply because it was rather technical. Actually, Terry answered his own question about any thoughts... See the part of the quote regarding breaking the link above.

I have been on this soapbox many times before. Create a folder within the Reunion Files folder and put a copy of your photos there and make your multimedia connection to that copy. Period! I have done so from day one when we were able to add multimedia to Reunion and I have never lost multimedia items. Yes... zero!

Do not depend on connections with iPhoto, Aperture or any other photo index/storage software. Every last one of them gets revised regularly and generally will break a bunch of multimedia links due to revisions in their storage structures. I guarantee that to happen! And don't depend on storing in a folder elsewhere on your Mac because sooner or later, human nature being what it is, you will overlook your connection scheme and "reorganize" and lose your links. I was a Desktop Support Manager for 1,000+ users, so I also guarantee this to happen!

My final thought for Terry and it will be very blunt... This, of course, is my personal opinion: One only needs to create a workflow when one needs automation. If one is doing genealogy with thorough thought about what is recorded and what is ignored, one doesn't have any need for workflow AKA automation.
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Just one correction here, Bob...
        ...don't depend on storing in a folder elsewhere on your Mac because sooner or later, human nature being what it is, you will overlook your connection scheme and "reorganize" and lose your links.
        If you use Reunion 10 to link somebody to a picture file, then you may move that picture file anywhere on the same volume, in any folder, in any subfolder, and Reunion will keep track of the new location automatically.
        Likewise you can rename the picture file, and Reunion will keep track of the picture file, despite the name change.

The only scenario where a link to a picture file will be broken is if you move the picture to another volume. I.e., if you have multiple hard drives or partitions, and you copy the picture to another volume and trash the original. In that scenario, Reunion can't automatically know where the file went, and you'd have to tell Reunion what new folder houses your picture file (on the other volume).

(None of what I've said here diminishes your quite valid point about potential issues with "iPhoto, Aperture or any other photo index/storage software.")
        Last edited by Frank; 17 August 2014, 02:26 PM.
        Frank Leister
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

My bad, Frank... Probably due to the way I handle multimedia, I wasn't fully on board with how well the "self repair" feature works automatically. Next time on the soap box, I'll be wording my speech a bit differently!
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Re: How images are "stored" in Reunion 10/11

Is there a way to change the default/originally assigned location that Reunion searches for photo files? I have all my genealogical photos stored in the folder where I keep my evidence, but when I am looking for a photo to link to a person, Reunion always defaults to a different photo file.

Thanks!

Barbara

Comment

Re: How images are "stored" in Reunion 10/11

Originally posted by bbrookin View Post
              Is there a way to change the default/originally assigned location that Reunion searches for photo files? I have all my genealogical photos stored in the folder where I keep my evidence, but when I am looking for a photo to link to a person, Reunion always defaults to a different photo file.
              If you select from the main menu at the top of the screen Reunion>Preferences>Multimedia, you'll be given the opportunity to define which folders to search for photos, and which to never search.
              Tim Lundin
              Heartland Family Graphics
              http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Just to clarify: Tim's suggestion works if you want to define where Reunion looks for images when it can't find an image that you previously linked to in the family file. If you want to set what folder Reunion displays when you click the "+" button to add a new image, that setting is found in:

Reunion -> Preferences... , Folders, Multimedia

HTH
                Mark Harrison
                Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Thanks so much for the quick responses from both of you! All is now perfect. Thanks again!
                  Last edited by bbrookin; 30 September 2016, 10:33 AM. Reason: Reread Mark's directions

Comment

Working...
                  X