Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google PhotoScan

<inspired by @Blaise post in 13 forum>

We all receive copies of articles and photos that aren't as high quality as we wish. A SCAN is always better than a PHOTO of a document or image -- when we have access to an original, clean copy, and a scanner.

For other times, Google PhotoScan is an attempt to bridge the gap between a scan and a photo. It's a free app for both iOS and Android phones. It integrates with (but doesn't require) Google Photos. It works by capturing 5 images of your original and blending them together to reduce glare.

The website and video overview are definitely worth a look www.google.com/photos/scan

Kirk

<For the record, I have no interest or gain from this product, just sharing for those who haven't seen it.>
    Researching Western NC and Northeast GA and any family connected to Caney Fork in Jackson County, NC

What I use to prevent glare is a clear plastic acrylic sheet placed on top of the photos. I rarely get any glare when using this sheet. See one here. About $5 per 8x10 inch sheet.

Kirk: I tried PhotoScan app when it first came out about 4 or 5 years ago. Does it do good scan work? Definitely, yes. And it automatically saves the photo into the Photos library. The good points.

The bad: (At least for me..) It is clumsy to use and not intuitive at all. After tapping the start button, four empty circles appear near the corners of the photo while a fifth circle in the center displays a pointer to one of the empty circles. My natural reaction was that I needed to touch that empty circle first. Of course, as this is not correct, nothing happens. The website you mention does nothing to clear this up. I finally Googled for reviews of the app and found out that one has to move the entire smart phone so that the center circle covers the empty, wait until it fills, then the center arrow changes direction and one repeats until all four corners are completed.

Moving the phone is totally non-intuitive. (And, for me, pretty clumsy!) Sort of like the so-called "natural" scrolling direction in current macOS systems. And, of course, all this moving around takes time. Once I figured out that the phone has to move, the first couple I did took like a minute or so. With practice, one could probably get that up to 3 or 4 per minute.

For comparison, I use Photomyne. I hold the phone over the photo and say "Go" and 3-5 seconds later, the scan is complete. Plus it can do several photos at one time and automatically and accurately finds the correct edging of each photo. And, it is say five photos at once, it becomes five individual photo files. Of course, there is an annual fee but it is very reasonable.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
    X