upgrading Mac and Reunion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrading Mac and Reunion

I am considering changing the Mac on which I use Reunion. Its a 2013 iMac, and I think it may have a malware problem. I keep getting random redirect pages to a VPN Express network. Anyone else come across this gremlin or malware ? i believe it came when I was prompted to upgrade my Flash Player
    If I change, I guess a current iMac will come with Big Sur as the current Mac OS ? Couple of other questions: I presume I will have to upgrade other 32 bit software such as Office ?
    And will all my old files made with 32 bit software such as Word or Excel still be available ? I also want to upgrade to Reunion 13, having only tried the demo version so far. Presumably its best to upgrade the mac first, and Reunion afterwards ? And again , will all my old reunion files , photos , sources etc all just be available as part of the upgrade process ?.
    Sorry if these questions are a little basic for the Forum, but I've never been very good at upgrades and the steps involved, and a bit of helpful advice would be most welcome - thanks in advance.
    Rupert Cuddon-Large ; Lives in Jersey
    Using R12 on iMac 2013, running Catalina; RTouch on iPad
    Researching Large; Cuddon; Fletcher; Ford; Gadsdon; Reynolds and Christian

Wow--a lot of q's!
    Reinstalling the OS will generally eliminate any malware. Boot to your recovery system: Restart, while holding Command + R. You can also download Malwarebytes to eliminate pests.
    Flash is going away 12/31/2020 so no need to worry about that. Delete all of it.
    Any OS past 10.14.6 will not run any 32 bit apps, so yes, upgrade those if you wish. (MS Office apps need not be upgraded, at a $, if you don't want to. LibreOffice is excellent and free!)
    Only you can decide to buy a new Mac, Check the &, specs, etc vs your 2013 iMac.
    Reunion 13 will update your family files. when done, double check that all went well, and then you can delete previous versions and old family files. DO NOT delete pics/multimedia!

Ask any other q's you can think of or clarification of anything I quickly answered.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Thanks SG very helpful, but what exactly do you mean by "boot to your recovery system; restart while holding command +R" Its the first bit of that I'm not sure about.
      And thanks for the heads up about LibreOffice, i'll give that a go. Hopefully it still has the Print Preview icon , which Microsoft seem to have dumped on the ir current versions of MS Office

Comment

"restart while holding command +R"---If you restart your Mac and hold down the Command key (just left or right of the space bar) and the 'R' key, keep holding these two until you see the 'Apple' on black screen. Wait until your Mac totally starts up. You are now in Recovery Mode and can do lots of things including repair and reinstall your operating system. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Comment

Originally posted by Rcljersey View Post
          I am considering changing the Mac on which I use Reunion. Its a 2013 iMac........I presume I will have to upgrade other 32 bit software such as Office ?
          And will all my old files made with 32 bit software such as Word or Excel still be available ? .......
          Re: MS Excel and Word... If you have MS Office 2011 or older, they will not run on the 64 bit only OS. Any version newer will be OK. Before forking over your hard earned cash, in addition to checking out LibreOffice and OpenOffice (both are free), you should look at Pages and Numbers that come free on the new Mac.

To determine which apps will or won't work, go to https://roaringapps.com. Hundreds of applications are shown with information about where they will work or not.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

You might also download an app called 'Go64' to see which apps on your Mac will run and which will not. Also, go to the black Apple top left in the upper menu bar, click About this Mac, click System Report, then go down to Software then Applications. Give it a bit of time and the right hand column will list all apps that are 64 bit or not.

Comment

SGilbert gave a heads-up for LibreOffice. While I routinely use Pages and Numbers, I agree that LibreOffice is an excellent free alternative to MS Office. It offers a big bonus: it has over a hundred converters to open files born in discontinued programs. You can rescue legacy documents, spreadsheet, graphics, & pictures from ClarisWorks, WordPerfect, StarCalc, MacPaint, etc. and save them in a 21st century format.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence E Moore View Post
                SGilbert gave a heads-up for LibreOffice. While I routinely use Pages and Numbers, I agree that LibreOffice is an excellent free alternative to MS Office. It offers a big bonus: it has over a hundred converters to open files born in discontinued programs. You can rescue legacy documents, spreadsheet, graphics, & pictures from ClarisWorks, WordPerfect, StarCalc, MacPaint, etc. and save them in a 21st century format.
                That's how I 1st discovered LibreOffice. My wife had a ton of AppleWorks & ClarisWorks files that needed to be 'rescued' from oblivion. As soon as I can no longer use my MS Office 16, LibreOffice is all I will be using.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys, plenty to think about.
                  SG, if I reboot my OS as you suggest, are all my emails , contacts, photos, videos etc intact

Comment

Originally posted by Rcljersey View Post
                    Thanks for the responses guys, plenty to think about.
                    SG, if I reboot my OS as you suggest, are all my emails , contacts, photos, videos etc intact
                    If you reinstall--NOT erase & Install--you will keep everything except system files which get the newest.

Comment

Working...
                    X