Moving tree back and forth from computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving tree back and forth from computers

I pray someone has a solution. I think I've tried just about everything but it never has the media files, it is unable to find them. My file is to large to do drop box with out costing more that it's worth. I had hoped to be able to move my tree back and forth between my desktop and laptop. Please tell me there is hope.

How big is your family file? Have you tried iCloud?
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

If you plan to try iCloud, you'd better have 19 layers of backups, because you are just begging for trouble and corrupt files.

If you can't use Dropbox, you could try an external hard drive -- preferably an SSD. I'm a fan of the Samsung T7 (around $150 for 1TB).

Move all your data, media, reports, etc to the SSD and update the file locations in Reunion settings.

Note, you will still want to make backups of the SSD on a regular basis.
      Researching Western NC and Northeast GA and any family connected to Caney Fork in Jackson County, NC

Comment

I've haven't tried Icloud I looked I have it on one computer but not on the other and was unable to find it. My file is 1.55 gb. I'm not that tech savy but I think that is what I need is the file locations updated and all will be good. Where and how do I do this so I can link my media files back.

Comment

I have my family file on Dropbox (so I can share the file), but all of my media folders (images and documents) are on iCloud. You have to change your media links to the new location if you move them, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by KirkS View Post
            If you plan to try iCloud, you'd better have 19 layers of backups, because you are just begging for trouble and corrupt files.

If you can't use Dropbox, you could try an external hard drive -- preferably an SSD. I'm a fan of the Samsung T7 (around $150 for 1TB).

Move all your data, media, reports, etc to the SSD and update the file locations in Reunion settings.

Note, you will still want to make backups of the SSD on a regular basis.
            Assuming both the desktop and laptop are Macs, just Air Drop back and forth. It's 20th century to use an intermediate such as the SSD or USB cords. However, I would backup to the SSD and to an outside site such as iCloud. You can never have too many backups. By the way, if you are running TimeMachine, you already have another backup there. I recommend an external SSD like the mentioned Samsung for TimeMachine. In case of emergency, pull it from the Mac, stick it in your pocket and run like hell.

Make sure the file path is the same on both Macs to eliminate the need to change any links or connections.

One more by the way, I have use iCloud for storage since its launch day (Oct 12, 2011). As of today, I have had zero files lost or corrupted. I can't even make that claim for the local hard drives and such that I've used over the same nine years. My experience with Dropbox is the same. Of course, mileage varies and there are many factors that can cause things to get corrupted or come up missing. There are lots of links in the chain between one's keyboard and that cloud server out there.
            Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
            Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
            iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

I tried Air Drop as well it was a big huge fail lots of missing data and zero media. Using Exporting The Family File has been the best option I have found with no problems but no media.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post

just Air Drop back and forth.
                I'm new here and you are a very respected member. But I must respectfully disagree. In fact, I think this is a horrible idea!

Since the data has 'outgrown' a free Dropbox account, it must be larger than 2 GB. And from the original post, I gather it's not just the familyfile but also lots of media, reports, etc. Airdropping is sure to be slow and troublesome.
                Researching Western NC and Northeast GA and any family connected to Caney Fork in Jackson County, NC

Comment

Originally posted by ABrown View Post
                  My file is to large to do drop box with out costing more that it's worth.
                  By the way, OP ... you can use the Dropbox referral program to increase your free capacity. Sign up your friends, family, and kids -- I think you earn 500 MB for each referral.

Comment

Problem solved, after importing tree go to the top and click on Reunion and then go to preferences, then click on multimedia, while the path looked correct it was not. If you hit the plus button on the multimedia search folders you can then search for your file. After the file is found click on repair multimedia links and all is right once again. Thank you all for the help I've been and tried things in this program and computer that I've never done before. lol

Comment

Originally posted by KirkS View Post

I'm new here and you are a very respected member. But I must respectfully disagree. In fact, I think this is a horrible idea!.........
                      Thank you for the compliment. And, of course, you should use whatever method works well for you. I am a believer in the idea that any user should figure out what method works best for them and go with their best method.

However, AirDrop is rock solid technology. if you are losing data using AirDrop, either there is a OS compatibility issue, a problem in your local WiFi network or AirDrop is not being used correctly. (Note: I rarely mention this here but I'm pretty good on Mac OS subjects. I've done Mac support for close to 30 years now.) The only small piece that bugs me about AirDrop is there is no option for destination. Everything goes to the Downloads folder; I would like to be able to direct items, via Finder, to a folder of my choosing.
                      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
                      X