Updating a public Tree on Ancestry.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating a public Tree on Ancestry.com

Several years ago, I uploaded a GEDCOM produced by Reunion to Ancestry as a public Tree to allow their "hints" feature to suggest pertinent documents that I could use as sources. I've found many sources this way, and I download them back into Reunion as multimedia attached to sources. Since my primary database is Reunion, I don't take the time to update the individual records on the Ancestry Tree every time I do in Reunion. I'd like to upload a fresh GEDCOM to Ancestry so that the public Tree has all the latest information, but since Ancestry doesn't allow updating an existing Tree with a new GEDCOM, I'm stuck. If I upload a new Tree, the "hint" feature will start alerting me of potentially thousands of hints that I have already either accepted or ignored for the same people in the current Tree. Is there a better solution? I'd like to keep the Ancestry Tree information up to date, because of the potential for better and more pertinent hints, and also so that others can benefit from my research, but I don't want to go through the process of clicking "ignore" thousands of times for hints that I already have.
    Steve Thomas
    iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

What about deleting the existing Ancestry family file, then creating a new GEDCOM to upload to Ancestry comprising only those people whose records have been updated since the prior version? Find changed <after> date, mark found people, and export marked to GEDCOM.

Do you make these family files Private? Are you satisfied Ancestry or others can't cherry-pick your 'private'?

HTH

Paul
    -- Paul ... Reitz immigrants in America

Reunion 13.0 build 201127 on
    MBPr 15" mid-2015, macOS 10.14.6
    MBP 15" Mid-2010, macOS 10.13.6

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Reitz View Post
      What about deleting the existing Ancestry family file, then creating a new GEDCOM to upload to Ancestry comprising only those people whose records have been updated since the prior version? Find changed <after> date, mark found people, and export marked to GEDCOM.

Do you make these family files Private? Are you satisfied Ancestry or others can't cherry-pick your 'private'?

HTH

Paul
      Thanks for the suggestion, Paul. That would narrow things down, but many of the people who have been updated since the last GEDCOM upload to Ancestry have already had hints presented, ignored or accepted. It would provide the most up-to-date information to Ancestry, though. Let me mull that over. Other online genealogy websites like JewishGen.org and Geni.org allow uploading a GEDCOM to update an existing online tree.

I am happy with the current privacy feature on Ancestry.
      Steve Thomas
      iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Comment

Yes, you'd have to decide on the time period to 'skip'.

Alternatively, you could keep the existing family file, but use a 'new' very partial one to seek info from hints, and add them back to your original family file.

But don't mind me... I don't know how practical it is to do that. I don't keep my family file on Ancestry — too much data already in Reunion that would need to be re-located... and I'm not hep on learning *yet another* genealogy website user interface.
        -- Paul ... Reitz immigrants in America

Reunion 13.0 build 201127 on
        MBPr 15" mid-2015, macOS 10.14.6
        MBP 15" Mid-2010, macOS 10.13.6

Comment

Working...
        X