Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to change person number, associated with home person

Hello,

I easily can dedicate myself as a Home Person in Reunion, but when I upload tree to Ancestry, the first screen displays some other random family from the tree. I checked on Reunion and I have Person Number 15, but this person's Person Number is 1. I created that person long time ago and he just happened to be first created.
    I need to change Person Number assigned to me to 1 in Reunion. Does any one knows how do I do that?

Person ID numbers can't be changed in Reunion.

Ancestry.com should have a feature that allows you to change the "home" person there, after you upload the GEDCOM.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you,
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

On Ancestry.com go to "Trees" and select the tree you wish to work on.

Ancestry.com Trees Menu.png

Then on the tree's name, click the down arrow to get the drop-down menu then click on "Tree Settings". In the "Tree Info" tab, you can select the person you want to be the "Home Person". Use that to change it to yourself.

Tree Settings.JPEG
      Attached Files
      Dennis B. Swaney
      Prescott, AZ

MacOS 10.13.6; MacOS 12.6; iOS 16; iPadOS 12 & 16

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        Person ID numbers can't be changed in Reunion.

Ancestry.com should have a feature that allows you to change the "home" person there, after you upload the GEDCOM.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you,
        Mark,
        I'm not sure this would work to solve the problem stated by 'allaaiz' - but, could he/she create a new Reunion file with themselves as the first person - ergo ID #1 - then export all the rest of the original family file and import that data into the new family file? If something like this would work, you could surely provide better detail than my outline of the steps.

Bob Emnett
        Bob Emnett
        V9.0c, X10.10.5
        rosebob.emnett "at" yahoo.com

Comment

Bob, I posted the procedure to change the "Home Person" on Ancestry just a couple of minutes before your post.
          Dennis B. Swaney
          Prescott, AZ

MacOS 10.13.6; MacOS 12.6; iOS 16; iPadOS 12 & 16

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Ancestry.com should have a feature that allows you to change the "home" person there, after you upload the GEDCOM.,
            Ancestry changes frequently, but as of today, this is accomplished by clicking the tree name in the upper left of any person's page in your tree. Choose "Settings" then use the controls on the right to set your "home person" and "who you are in this tree."

That being said, you can get yourself to be Person #1 in your Reunion file. Just remember that new people added to a Reunion family file will receive the next available Person Number. As the manual says:

Person and family ID numbers are assigned serially. When you add a person or family to the family file, Reunion starts at 1 and counts upward until it finds the first unused number and assigns that number to the person or family.
            So if there's no #1, the next person created will take that spot. You can take advantage of this fact to make yourself #1. I'd probably take Bob Emnett's approach mentioned above, but you could also just delete the current Person #1, delete yourself, re-add yourself, then re-add the current #1 (then fix all the links to spouses, parents, and children). You could export either or both records and re-import them if they have enough data to make manual re-entry too much work.

-Brad
            Brad Mohr
            https://bradandkathy.com/genealogy/

Comment

. I am sure someone will find this unnatural, but it can be done. First, note all data of of the person in your database that has now No. 1, and note also all data of yourself.. Then delete No 1. and make a new person, with your data, you will get the first number that is free, the number 1. If another number should be free, you must first fill that number with some person, that you eventually later delete. At last delete yourself from your original location, and make a new person with the data of the original No 1.
              Last edited by HuubTM; 09 July 2020, 11:58 PM.
              Huub TM ter Beek, the Netherlands

Comment

I see now that bmohr essentially has the same solution...

Comment

A dumb way around this is:
                  * Find the person who is person ID 1 in your tree (in the Name box in the right sidebar, type 1)
                  * Note down all their links and information
                  * Delete that person
                  * Find yourself and note down all your links and information
                  * Delete yourself
                  * Recreate yourself with all information in place
                  * Recreate the other person with all information in place

By deleting person ID 1 and creating another person (yourself) in their place, you give that new person the ID 1. When creating new people, Reunion uses the first available ID, starting at 1.
                  --
                  Eric Van Beest
                  Spring, TX

Researching: Van Beest, Feijen, Van Herk

Comment

How about some clarification regarding the above discussion? I've been doing genealogy on computers since about 1988 and have co-led our local Reunion group for about 10 years now. This is a subject -- e.g. making someone else number one -- that has never come up in my experience. Been doing ReunionTalk since it was a mailing list run by a lady from Texas (before Leister brought it in-house). Memory serves that there have been many questions about the Person ID numbers but not specifically on how to make someone become the new number one.

The clarification I'm looking for is: What is so important about this? You don't need the numbers to make anyone the home person in Reunion. If you export by GEDCOM, the receiving software is going to assign its own set of numbers as far as I know.
                    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

I find the Person ID number extremely important, and I am using it very often. Every piece of paper, related to persons in my database, contains his/her ID number. Every mediafile has a name, that starts with the ID number. And the question of changing the ID number, has come up for me many years ago, when I bought a new genealogy software, that was very popular in the Netherlands at that time, I think it was called GensDataPro. The strange thing about it was, that no one had the number 1 as person ID, it started with 2. I came from Reunion for Windows at that time, and imported via gedcom all my data to the new software. The result was, that all the person ID were changed. 1 became 2, 2 became 3, etcetera. It was a mess.

Comment

Just a remark.
                        Person ID numbers are in principle Only for internal use of the program and Yes ... it seem easy and logic to use these numbers as a reference for linking MM, documents etc.
                        But be aware: exporting and importing of a gedcom can change the Personal ID number, because importing gedcom (does not matter what kind of genealogy program you use) the Internal numbers are assigned in the most logic way in the program, as Bob White explained.
                        To prevent problems, copy the internal Personal ID to User ID.

Frans van Bodegom
                        Last edited by fjvanbodegom; 18 July 2020, 04:09 AM. Reason: Corrected typo
                        Frans van Bodegom
                        Reunion NL Support Team

Comment

Indeed, person ID's can be changed when importing, via gedcom, data to another program. But most of the time you can find out what the new software is doing with the person ID, and how and where it is stored.

Comment

But copying the person ID to the user ID is a good advice, and can be done easily.

Comment

I agree with HuubTM. I copy the person ID to the user ID on all of my entries. I add keywords to all of my documents and photographs. For people that means full name as recorded in Reunion plus #xxxx (their user ID). Using Finder all I have to do is type in the person's name using a keywords search and I can find all documents and photos for Happalonia G. Dingman. However, if I'm searching for a more common name then I always include the user ID--John Thomas #1643--for example.
                              I think of the user ID as each ancestor's employee number, or their payroll number. While it's not necessary when working directly in Reunion it does come in handy when working with lists of names. The reason I use the person ID as my user ID is so I don't have to maintain a separate user ID list of my own. The person ID is always displayed down in the lower left corner when I'm entering a new person so I'm letting Reunion tell me what my next user ID should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X