Sources > Reunion to FTM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sources > Reunion to FTM

Does anyone know how to get free-form text into FTM?

Anyone? I tried asking elsewhere including at FTM - no one seems to know. I have someone I did a report for for a while back who has recently purchased FTM and wants to see if I can move the tree I made. Maybe it's not even possible.

Comment

You can't 'move' a tree but, you could select everyone in her family and make a ged com, and, send it to her, and she would get most of the information, see manual.
      Mary Arthur

Comment

Sorry that’s what I meant. But I am unable to get free-form text sources into FTM.

Comment

You need to recreate the report by selecting the key person, run a report and then mark all people in the report (Unmark all first). Then when you open your family file for the key person, go to file>export>gedcom. When that opens there will be a set of selection boxes. Just select the 'All Marked People" and the other options about privacy and select Export to your desktop. When you get the GEDCOM file you can open it to see if you got the data you wanted to send, before you forward to the new recipient, This will be a GEDCOM, not a text file, but is text readable by you.

Be sure to go to the HELP menu in Reunion and in the Contents look for the section on Importing and Exporting. This has detailed instructions that are better than what I wrote. If you don't understand what a paragraph means, come back and ask for help on that paragraph.

Comment

I’m sorry - perhaps I didn’t form my question correctly. I will try to be more specific. I have done all of the above.
            I exported the family file as a GEDCOM and opened in FTM. Most all of the data makes it into FTM except sources that I created as free-form text. I saw an old video online that Ben Sayers posted that suggests that free-form text can be found in the source notes in FTM- but in my case at least, it’s not making it over there.

Comment

Just in case anyone else is interested. It took me forever but I finally was able to chase someone down at FTM, and they said that sources using free-form text will in Reunion not transfer over due to the differences between the platforms. So disappointing, but now I know.

Comment

Working...
              X