Working with Dropbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working with Dropbox

It used to be with Dropbox that if you wanted to share a file or folder with someone, it would generate a link which could be copied then pasted into an email for the people you are sharing with. It doesn't seem like you can do that anymore.

Now when you want to share a file or folder you are given a choice of how to share (most choices I know nothing about) so I usually pick email. Then you are presented with a simple email window where you enter the addresses of the people you are sharing with and any comments that you want to add. Then send it off.

The recipients get an email with your message and a blue button that says "Go to folder" that, when clicked, will open a browser window with a list of files that are in the folder that you are sharing.

Recently I did this with my 5 siblings. My sister said when she tried to access Dropbox, she got a message on her computer that said she "needed more space." Has anybody else experienced similar message when accessing Dropbox and what did you do to get around it?

Thanks.

Based on your description, this doesn't sound like a Dropbox problem. In saying this, I am presuming that your other four siblings had no problem. Process of elimination leads to the conclusion that your sister's device (tablet, phone, computer, whatever) really does have enough room to download your offered file. Another possibility is that she has not cleared caches in her chosen browser in a very long time. Most modern browsers have a very generous limit on caches but one will eventually bump the ceiling if one doesn't clear cache occasionally. And there are other possibilities.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thanks Bob, I am trying to find more information about her system, and especially, if there was an indication as to what sent the message -- the computer, the browser, or Dropbox. My current understanding is that the message was received prior to even seeing the list of files in the folder, not from downloading any particular file. I also have a brother that had problems trying to get to the web page that listed the files, but I think that is something different. When I get more info, I will post that with new questions.

Comment

OK. I think I figured out most of what was going on. When my sister clicked on the "Go to folder" button in the email, Dropbox wanted to put the whole folder of files into her own Dropbox account. She already had something in her account and adding the files that I shared with her went over her space limits. She simply deleted the older folder to make more room in her account and then new files came in.

I don't know why Dropbox behaves like this. Why would my sharing of files from my account have anything to do with her account unless she put those files in herself, which, I know, she didn't do.

Also, I don't know, as yet, what will happen when I share these files with someone who doesn't have a Dropbox account.

Comment

As I recall, the free Dropbox account has a 2 GB maximum. She might have been near to that. Isn't long distance trouble shooting fun?
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Blaise A. Darveaux View Post
            I don't know why Dropbox behaves like this. Why would my sharing of files from my account have anything to do with her account unless she put those files in herself, which, I know, she didn't do..
            That's how DropBox works - files that people share with you use up part of your allocation as well as theirs.

Roger
            Roger Moffat
            http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
            http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

So, if someone shares a file with me, I can't view it or download it to my computer unless it will fit into my account first? That's not called "sharing". That's called ramming it down my throat, but only if it fits.IMHO.

Comment

Hi Blaise,

When you use the Share... option, yes, the person needs to have a Dropbox account and has to download the file to their Dropbox account (at least that's what I'm seeing in my testing). My understanding is that this option is intended for sharing a file/folder between different Dropbox accounts, hence the requirement to save it to their Dropbox account.

However, if you instead use the Copy Dropbox Link option that appears when you CTRL+Click/Right-Click on the file/folder you want to share, the copied link will give them the option of either saving it directly to their computer or saving it to their Dropbox account. This is basically the the same as the method you were using before - you get a URL to paste into an email, they click it and get a page that lets them download the file/folder.

HTH
                Mark Harrison
                Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot. I will look again. I searched for some time and didn't see that option (and if I don't see it, I will use the key combinations that you gave). The method of generating a link then copying and pasting into an email is what I have done in the past since not everyone in my family has a Dropbox account. It also makes things easier to do for the people I am sharing with. A simple click and, boom, they're there.

Comment

It is still not working the way it used to work.

When I use CTRL+Click/Right-Click and select the Copy Link option, then I paste that link into either a text or an email, when the recipient clicks on the link (and they don't have an account or is not logged in) then they are asked to make an account or sign in. I have tried this when texting and emailing myself and to other people.

It works fine if the person already has a Dropbox account AND they are currently logged in, but those were never requirements before (and still shouldn't be IMHO).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comment

...when the recipient clicks on the link (and they don't have an account or is not logged in) then they are asked to make an account or sign in.
                      Hm, that's not what I see here - when using the "Copy Dropbox Link" option, there is a Download button at top-right of the page that the link takes me to, and clicking on that gives me the option for Direct download, which downloads the file to my Mac:

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 1.14.17 PM.png

While there is a Sign in button, as you can see in the screenshot, it's not necessary to sign in before using the Direct download option. Of course, using the Save to my Dropbox option does require signing-in.
                      Mark Harrison

Comment

I don't see "Copy Dropbox Link" anywhere. I only see "Copy Link" when Control-clicking on the folder name that I want to share. See the last picture.

Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 3.43.06 PM.png

When I send the link to myself or someone else and they don't have an account OR have it open if they do have an account, this is what is given. They have to sign in or make an account. Screen Shot 2020-01-22 at 3.28.45 PM.png

However, when I do have Dropbox open, when I click on the link I get the list of files that are in the folder that I am sharing. I don't see the Download => Direct Download that you see. I see the first picture.

Small Screen shot.png

Sorry pictures aren't in correct order. I just couldn't get things in the order that I wanted.

Thanks for any help.

Comment

I don't see "Copy Dropbox Link" anywhere.
                          Ah, I see the problem -- you're on the Dropbox website.

Instead, open a Finder window on your Mac and go to the Dropbox folder there (it should be listed under Favorites on the left of the Finder window). When you CTRL+Click on a folder (that's in Dropbox) in Finder, you should see the Copy Dropbox Link... option.

HTH
                          Mark Harrison

Comment

That was it, Mark. Excellent. I certainly wouldn't have gotten that on my own as I rarely use control click or the right mouse button. And of course we can't expect everything to be as intuitive as Reunion. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                            X