Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Research and Document Software

Hello,

Just wondering what sort of software people use for storing notes, research documents, etc. I am currently revisiting Voodoo Pad because I have a license for it from some years ago. I would like to be able to store things like interview transcripts, notes about family history, etc. so I can tag them, link them together, and search across documents. A wiki app like Voodoo Pad seems like it is a good fit for this, but in this case it doesn't look like the developer is seriously updating the app. Any suggestions?

Scrivener is popular for what you're trying to do.
    Bradley Jansen
    OS 10.15.2 on a MacBook Pro using Reunion 12 and ReunionTouch 1.0.9

Comment

Thanks. I haven't thought about Scrivener in a long time. Will look in to that.

Still open for suggestions if anyone has other solutions that work for them.

Comment

Check out DEVONthink.

Comment

I use DEVONthink Pro by DEVON Technologies. It is much like VoodooPad - but on steroids and then some. I have been using DEVONthink since v 1.5.

My reason for doing so is that (with help of AppleScript) I can copy in source material from the large online repositories of Netherlands civil registries - and then only the 25k HTML file and not the whole 1 MB web page. These documents are referenced with the source number from Reunion so that I can track back information. I have already 45,000 documents, so I need to think about keeping the reference file smaller. I also use it to store source documents from other locations, such as FamilySearch, Ancestry or FindAGrave. And, to top it off, I can keep local copies of other trees adjacent to mine so that I don't have to refer to them online.

I find DEVONthink 3 an invaluable depository for source information. DEVONthink 3 Pro is not "cheap". It's $200 to get you started.
          --
          Eric Van Beest
          Spring, TX

Researching: Van Beest, Feijen, Van Herk

Comment

Thank you all for your input. I liked both products but wound up purchasing Scrivener. Discovered I had a license to v2 I had completely forgotten about which made me eligible for upgrade pricing (about $27) which was a no brainer.

Comment

Working...
            X