Moving Dropbox to external drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Dropbox to external drive?

I operate everything off my (older) MacBookPro. I am always running out of space, because I do photography as well as genealogy (all my photos are on external drives, but I have a lot of big programs installed). So- I have been advised by a photography friend to get a paid dropbox account and to move my Dropbox folder off my laptop to an external drive. He even suggested I move my Documents folder to an external. While I am considering this, I am most concerned about Reunion. I am not particularly computer savvy, despite spending a large percent of every day on my laptop. So I am wondering about my Reunion file. I know it is in my dropbox folder so it can sync with my iPhone Reunion Touch. I'm not sure if it is anywhere else. Would dragging the Dropbox file onto an external drive be wise? Would Reunion be able to find it? What are the best practices in this situation?

You don't state the size of your existing HD, but I suspect it is not very large. A larger HD, hopefully SSD, would solve a great many of your problems.

That said, I believe moving your Dropbox folder to an external would be a bad decision, if it would work at all. The external would have to be connected to your MBP to sync.

By the way, your Reunion family file shouldn't be anywhere else except in the Dropbox folder.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Internal SSD drives can be installed on most MacBook Pros back to about 2008. If you have a local independent Mac repair shop or an independent consultant, you will probably put out somewhere in the vicinity of $200 for a 512 GB or one TB drive incl. labor. Here is an example of the drive cost for a 2010 MacBook Pro: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/...cbook-pro/2010. Advantage: SSD's are much faster than spinning hard drives and totally silent. Disadvantage: Data cannot be recovered from a gone bad SSD; so one needs to be really faithful in doing backups.
      Last edited by Bob White; 09 September 2019, 12:04 PM. Reason: Added the con...
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thank you- I think I will keep Dropbox where it is!

Comment

Working...
        X