This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancestry announcements today

So Ancestry announced today that a different company will be taking over FamilyTreeMaker, and syncing will live on.

They also announced RootsMagic will be able to sync with Ancestry later this year.

Did they open the API up to everyone? Will Reunion be following suit?

Re: Ancestry announcements today

I'm guessing RootsMagic didn't get access to the API for free and there may be an exclusivity agreement. :-)

Looks like RootsMagic will be synching photos. Not sure about record images in sources tho. (on RootsMagic's web site under News)

"1. Search – RootsMagic will be the first and currently only software besides FTM to search Ancestry’s extensive collections of historical records from around the world and let you download those records into your own file.
    2. Sync – RootsMagic will be the first and currently only software besides FTM to let you share data between your RootsMagic files on your computer with your personal Ancestry online trees. You’ll also be able to download people, events, and even pictures from Ancestry onto your computer through RootsMagic.
    3. Import – RootsMagic will be able to directly import your Family Tree Maker files, without having to go through an intermediate GEDCOM file, giving you the cleanest, most complete transfer of your data. RootsMagic will also be able to download your online trees from Ancestry."

Don
    Last edited by donworth; 02 February 2016, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks Don, I read the announcements with much interest. Actually, now that I've started saving all my media manually and entering it manually as well, I'm not sure I would go back to auto syncing. My files are more accurate now, since I must take the time to read everything prior to entering it. It's also more fun!

But I am curious as to Liester Pro's official standpoint, as they did announce they would join the auto sync club if Ancestry opened up the API. (At least, I think I recall them stating that).

Comment

Out of curiosity, and seeing they now have a Mac version on offer, I installed the trial version of RootsMagic along with a GED of my full tree. Whilst the free version is somewhat throttled regarding facilities, it does not limit the tree size.
        I realise that this is a much respected application, especially amongst the Windows fraternity and folks at RootsMagic are now working closely with Ancestry for future development . . . . .
        but, for me, the GUI is a shocker, it reminds me of the early days of computing on the ZX81!

Have no fear Leister, Reunion is streets ahead in the presentation alone!, and I suspect RootsFolks don't even realise that iPhones and iPads exist :-(
        Chris
        iMac 27", OS X 10.11.3, iPad gen 3, iPhone 5s, Reunion 11

Comment

Indeed, RootsMagic for "Mac" is nothing but a ported Windows version, and is as ugly as all get out on a Mac. The fonts are horrible on the eyes. Supposedly, they are working on a native Mac version, but I suspect the advantage they've now gained with integration with Ancestry will put that on the back burner.

What they do have going for them, is a very active user base, ongoing education and video tutorials, that Reunion lacks.

Comment

Originally posted by tinksquared View Post
            Did they open the API up to everyone?
            Ancestry did not open the API to us or anyone else (except MacKiev/FTM and the RootsMagic folks) to our knowledge.
            Frank Leister
            Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
              Ancestry did not open the API to us or anyone else (except MacKiev/FTM and the RootsMagic folks) to our knowledge.
              I wonder why? Not that I particularly mind, I love Reunion.

Comment

I recently did a Reunion demo to our local genealogy group and there were several things I did that the Windows RootsMagic and Legacy people in the audience said they wished they could do but can't - for example, being able to create their own fields in Sources and custom events and facts and flags etc. Also, they were particularly excited by the record marking for subsetting a database.

I came from Family Tree Maker on Windows in 2008 and, at the time, I remember being blown away by how much more flexibility and functionality there was in Reunion. I suspect that's not well understood by most people since most comparisons I've seen only cover the "bread and butter" features (eg. "Can it make a pedigree chart?") and the price.

Comment

Nice to hear that Don. There is so much bias in advertising and by those who passionately support their favourite program; so always good to hear what users think who have legitimate comparative experience across a couple of platforms.

Of course there is always the issue of MAC versus PC (I use both for work and play) and I understand a PC-based user finding it difficult to justify a shift to Reunion that would require them to move to the MAC environment (and pay more for Apple hardware). Having done this myself a few years back, I think many PC users would be pleasantly surprised if they look the leap.
                  John in Brisbane, Australia
                  Reunion 12 & FTM on iMac, with Reunion & Ancestry on iPad & iPhone
                  Ancestry ID: johnmeara1
                  GEDmatch: A369974 & Admin for T578930, T249754, A943304, A193103, T826422

Comment

That was my experience, John, when I switched back to the Mac after 10 years on Windows at work. I'm so glad to be out of the business of spending the day cleaning malware off relatives' and friends' PCs or rebuilding Windows from scratch (reinstalling all the apps every time I do a clean install). And it's a joy to have the family laptops, iPad, iPhones and Apple TV all playing nicely together without a bunch of 3rd party finger-pointing. Now if Apple would only start selling 17" MacBook Pros again I would be in hog heaven!

Comment

I didn't like Reunion when I first tried it. I was mostly using Ancestry, and learning how to enter date in FTM 3. I thought syncing was great. But then my data kept getting messed up, and I decided to try Reunion, this time making the effort to LEARN it.

You couldn't pay me to go back to FTM3, syncing or not, and I am so much more thorough when I have to enter things manually.

But mostly, it was a lack of understanding how to handle sourcing. Once I developed a system that worked for me, it's fast and painless, and I love being able to make my own source templates. I LOVE the multiple notes fields.

I hope Reunion sticks around for a long time, because after trying FTM3, MacFamily Tree, Heredis and RootsMagic, I don't think anything else compares to Reunion.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                        I spoke with both an Engineer from MacKiev and Bruce Buzbee of RootsMagic at the recent RootsTech

I think a more accurate representation is that Ancestry don't have an API yet.

MacKiev have the Ancestry technology for TreeSync already since they have developed the Macintosh version of Family Tree Maker and that is what will continue to be used during this year 2016 as they roll out some minor updates to both Macintosh and Windows FTM.

RootsMagic does not support TreeSync yet and I don't believe they will - they will support syncing with Ancestry by the end of 2016, but it will be a new product that Ancestry offer and that both RootsMagic and MacKiev and maybe others will incorporate into their products hopefully by the time that Ancestry kills the current TreeSync.

Tamura Jones has an interview with the head of MacKiev here

Roger
                        Roger Moffat
                        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
                        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Thanks for posting that, the review was interesting to read.

Comment

Working...
                          X