This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exporting GEDCOM from Reunion to Ancestry

Recently, all my attempts to export a GEDCOM from Reunion and import it to Ancestry.com have resulted in a tree with hundreds of individuals visibly flagged "living", including people with death dates in the fifteenth century.

It seems likely that this is Ancestry.com's fault rather than Reunion's, particularly since it also happens when I try exporting GEDCOMs from TNG to Ancestry.com. But this forum is full of knowledgable people, so I thought I'd ask if anybody has any suggestions. I'm even open to manually editing the GEDCOM files in question, if necessary. But so far I'm stumped as to what might be causing the problem.

Just to forestall the "why are you bothering with Ancestry.com" question: I post a copy of my database there because it gets me communications from strangers with pertinent information just often enough to make the practice worthwhile. I don't use other people's Ancestry trees as primary research sources. I also give the Ancestry tree a title pointing to the real version of my database.

Re: Exporting GEDCOM from Reunion to Ancestry

I have not had that problem when exporting GEDCOMs to Ancestry from Reunion. What settings do you use on the GEDCOM export screen?

The problems I had were that Ancestry couldn't deal with structured sources (it only picked up the TITLE of a structured source), it didn't pick up any NOTE fields (where I had biographies) and, of course, it doesn't pick up media. I ended up writing a little Apple Script to massage the GEDCOM from Reunion before loading it into Ancestry (which fixed the sources at least).

Comment

Working...
    X