This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving from a PC (PAF) to an iMac

Hi all – I am doing a little bit of research for my dad. I recently gave him my 2007 iMac and he is trying to transfer his genealogy files to it from his old PC and he's really worried about losing years worth of work. He had been using the Family Search PAF software for a PC, which was apparently discontinued a couple of years ago. Because I'm not familiar with genealogy software, I'm looking for advice from people who may know. Will Reunion on a Mac open PAF files that were created on a PC? I keep seeing info that talks about GEDCOM files, but I'm not sure if GEDCOM and PAF are the same thing. Is Reunion even the best way to go? It seems to have good reviews, but the other one I hear about is PAW2U. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Moving from a PC (PAF) to an iMac

Originally posted by Michelle P. View Post
    I recently gave [my Dad] my 2007 iMac and he is trying to transfer his genealogy files to it from his old PC and he's really worried about losing years worth of work.
    GEDCOM is a kind of text file that is used to transfer information between programs, so most genealogy programs will be able to read and write GEDCOM files. Most use another, proprietary, format after the transfer takes place.

PAF will export a GEDCOM file for you, which you can then transfer to the Mac and import with Reunion.

You usually need to change a few things to make sure all the information is transferred, but for the most part transfers are painless.

You will want to be sure that your dad transfers all the files he may need from his old computer ... things like scans of documents and pictures, for example. You could always just copy everything to an (external) hard disk.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

This is very helpful Dennis, thank you! I'll be back if I have more questions.

Comment

There are several possible solutions to this situation. They are discussed at http://www.macgenealogy.org/personal...e-paf-for-mac/.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thanks Bob, that looks like an excellent resource! I've bookmarked it.

Comment

... Is Reunion even the best way to go? It seems to have good reviews, but the other one I hear about is PAW2U. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
            Hi Michelle,

I checked out PAW2U as I had never heard of it before. The program was developed by a Mac PAF user when the Mac version went the way of the PC version. He developed it for himself but started giving it to friends. He is not a full-time developer and seemed a bit frustrated when people started asking questions and asking for updates. You would also need to create a GEDCOM file anyway to transfer your dad's files to that program.

I have used Reunion for the Macintosh for many years and find it a very robust but, basically, user-friendly, program. This forum, the developers and the people who use it, are wonderful! You and your dad will find lots of help here, as you are finding out.

You can download a demo version of Reunion from the Leister website -
            http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/demo/demo.php.
            Although, I don't believe you can import a small GEDCOM (the demo will only hold 50 people), your dad can put in a few people manually to see if he might like the program. If he does, and you buy the program, once you put in the license #, it will walk you through adding the GEDCOM file.

Hope this is helpful.
            Kaye Mushalik
            -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
            -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
            -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Thanks Kaye! This is very helpful and I will pass this on to my dad.

Comment

Thanks Kaye! This is very helpful and I will pass this on to my dad.
                Hi Michelle,

Has your father downloaded a demo of Reunion?

Just a heads-up that there is now a new, updated version on the Leister website! Lots of new things!

Regards, Kaye
                Kaye Mushalik
                -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
                -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
                -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Working...
                X