This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

text sizing

I find documents on Ancestry.com that folks have added to their trees; when I try to print them they are either about the size of a business card or the font must be 50 points or bigger and there is no way they will fit on a piece of paper. Is this some sort of anti-copy feature or is there an easier way than screen grabs?

Re: text sizing

Originally posted by jrshannahan View Post
    I find documents on Ancestry.com that folks have added to their trees; when I try to print them they are either about the size of a business card or the font must be 50 points or bigger and there is no way they will fit on a piece of paper. Is this some sort of anti-copy feature or is there an easier way than screen grabs?
    I find the best way is to obtain a screenshot is by holding; cmd+shift+4 keys which bring up cross hairs. By moving your crosshairs to the top left of the image and holding down the mouse and drag the cross hairs to the bottom right of the image, let go and you will get the view you are interested in. I have it set up so my screenshots go to the desk top where I can edit them.
    In my case, because I was using Anc...y and d/loading census returns, often in .jpg format, I was getting a large black surround, which meant I was using up a lot of ink when printing them out.
    To overcome this I changed my setting to d/l in .png format and could then edit and remove the black surround. I could then also annotate in colour which wouldn't always work in .jpg images because when saved the annotations went grey.

To change the d/l process involves using the terminal command which not every one is happy to use, but can give instructions if you wish to follow this route.

Alan
    iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
      I was getting a large black surround, which meant I was using up a lot of ink when printing them out.

Alan
      For what it's worth -- I've found GraphicConverter to be a wonderful (shareware) program. Not only will it convert any image file type to any other, but you can edit the image, tweak color/brightness/contrast, resize it, etc. and then save as the file type of choice. When I upload any images from ancestry or other databases, I open the image in GraphicConverter, view at a convenient size, crop the image to remove any black margins or other unwanted info, print copies for my hard copy files and save the edited image in the proper folder with the assigned accession number.
      Kate McCain

Researching BARKER, FESSLER, KENEIPP, MCCAIN, MORRIS, MONTGOMERY, RAIFORD, WOOTTON, (and in Georgia-- WEBB, EVERETT, LUCKEY, LOWMAN)

Comment

While I am a long time fan and user of Graphic Converter, I must point out that all of us already have a tool that does everything you listed but one. The one item that is limited compared to GC is file conversions.

The tool that we all have because it comes with every Mac is Preview.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
          I'm glad you brought up Preview… it's an underrated application, and one that I use a lot. One capability it has that hasn't been brought up is its ability to annotate an image with circles, arrows, and text (although I would only do this on a copy, not the original image).

A wee bit off topic, but since we're talking about editing images, here's a little tutorial on one way to really enhance your photographs (Preview is used, but the principles apply to iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom, Photoshop, Graphic Converter, and any other app with levels histogram adjustment):

Getting the levels right in your photos is one of the easiest and effective ways to maximize the appearance of your family tree chart. And it's also a great ...
          Last edited by ttl; 18 March 2015, 09:06 PM. Reason: Principally to straighten out principles.
          Tim Lundin
          Heartland Family Graphics
          http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Excellent youtube piece on photo enhancement. Thank you for posting it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
              I have to agree that Preview is an app I use most frequently. In fact I have all my genealogical data folders set to open in Preview. I use it for annotation, deleting/removing unwanted text and adding colours when & where required.

That said, I do have a problem with one set of data folders that will not open in Preview V.8 (came with Yosemite) under any circumstances. Even the Apple techs couldn't overcome it and we eventually had to reinstall V7. and rename it as Previews - works perfectly now (169mb insize).
              iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
                I'm glad you brought up Preview… it's an underrated application, and one that I use a lot. One capability it has that hasn't been brought up is its ability to annotate an image with circles, arrows, and text (although I would only do this on a copy, not the original image).

A wee bit off topic, but since we're talking about editing images, here's a little tutorial on one way to really enhance your photographs (Preview is used, but the principles apply to iPhoto, Aperture, Lightroom, Photoshop, Graphic Converter, and any other app with levels histogram adjustment):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lB1KsdDIZY
                Hey, Tim, good tutorial video! I never really had histogram adjustments explained. This is very helpful! Is that you narrating?
                Kaye Mushalik
                -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
                -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
                -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Glad the video is helpful! And yes, that's me with my Carlton the Doorman voice.

If I ever did the video again, I'd slide the gray point a little further to the left than I did.
                  Last edited by ttl; 19 March 2015, 10:44 AM.
                  Tim Lundin

Comment

maybe its just time for more coffee, but I can't figure out how to launch Preview......

Comment

If it's not in the dock, go to the main Finder menu and select Go>Applications, and you should be able to find Preview there.

Also, Preview is generally the default application if you were to double click on a graphic file to open it.
                      Tim Lundin

Comment

Working...
                      X