This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen shots saved to Reunion?

I am working on a newspaper site that will not give me a pdf or jpg of articles—they will provide a link to the page. But I wonder how long will the link will last. My work-around is to use cmd-4 to take a screen shot of the article saving it to the desktop. I then open the screen shot with Photoshop, use cmd option C, to increase the canvas size and add the date of the newspaper to the clipping, then "save as" tiff or jpg and file it in my Reunion documents folder. I trash the original screen shot. This is extremely tedious.
    My question is—am I going to unnecessary extra work? Could I save the screen shot in the document folder then add the date in the multi-media link screen? Would it be possible? Would the screen shot be as stable as a tiff or jpg file?
    Thank you!
    ~Lily

Re: Screen shots saved to Reunion?

Maybe you don't need to go through Photoshop. I see you are saving as tiff or jpeg: you could set the Mac to save its screenshots as tiff or as jpeg, and add a date by renaming the files.

Comment

Originally posted by genealogist.lily View Post
      But I wonder how long will the link will last. My work-around is to use cmd-4 to take a screen shot of the article saving it to the desktop.
      Lily,

In my opinion links do not last very long. Websites get upgraded, their databases change - there is always a “more, better, faster way” to get the same thing done. Many of my specific links (e.g., direct to a newspaper articles) no longer work. So I no longer save specific links within Reunion. But I will save the domain name like: www.oldnewspapers1.com.

I usually “Drag & Drop” pictures from the website to my desktop. If you’ve not done this before you can give it a quick try with Michael’s picture above (hopefully he will not mind). Just click on his face, or somewhere on his picture, drag his picture to your Desktop, and then drop the picture. Now you should have a new image named something like “avatar nnnn.jpeg” on your desktop.
      Note: The “avatar nnnn.jpeg” name is specific the ReunionTalk. Every website has their own naming convention.

And if that doesn’t work then post the full link to the website here and maybe the ReunionTalk family can assist.

Hope this helps,
      Jon
      Jon

iMac late-2015 (iMac 17,1) and macOS Sierra version 11.12.x
      Reunion 11.x & Safari 10.x

Comment

I use SnagIt every day in so many ways, and this is one of them -- when I can't download the image. With Snagit, you drag two cross-hairs to define whatever you want to capture, so in your case, I would capture the address bar of your web browser (to show what the link address was at the time you made the capture, even if it doesn't work later) and also the article itself, all in one drag.

You could then either:
        1) Do a "Save As" a jpeg directly into whatever folder you want to save it into, naming the file so that you capture the date of the newspaper (NOT how I would do it); OR

2) Do a second image capture of the top of the newspaper page (assuming you couldn't include it in your first capture due to the location of the article on the page), so that you capture the name of the paper and the date and page number. This second capture lands in your Snagit tray next to the first.
        You click on your first capture (the article) to make it "active," then drag your second capture (top of the newspaper page) onto the screen, dropping it toward the top of your first capture. The canvas will automatically expand to include it (though often not perfectly. You can drag the little dots at the corners of the first capture to expand the canvas more to include your second capture.)
        Then do your "Save As" to wherever you want. You have the name of the paper, the date and page number, the article, and the internet URL of where you found it, all in one image.(And if you don't like the URL in the middle of it all, do it separately as a third capture and drag it in like above to place wherever you want it).
        This may sound tedious, but when you know how to use SnagIt, it goes very quickly. You don't have to wait while another application launches (esp. Photoshop, which launches slowly IMHO).

I couldn't do my genealogy without SnagIt (by Techsmith). It's not very expensive and I use it for many things in addition to genealogy. (For example, if you are looking at a book on Archive.org or from Google Books, and your ancestor's surname is in the index with numerous pages numbers for you to look at, it is VERY tedious to page back and forth, back and forth between the index and all the pages you want to look it. Enter Snagit. Do a small capture of the part of the index page with your surname and page number. Keep it on one side of your screen, with the book in your web browser next to it. Voila - now you can just jump around in the book to the pages you want to look at, without going back to the index every time (or writing down all the page numbers on a scrap of paper on your desk).

Sorry this is so long. I'm sure you can tell I like the program.

Susan

Comment

Lily: Adobe is way way overkill for doing a screenshot. There are scads of screen capture programs plus Apple's built-in capture shortcuts. I have probably kicked the tires of at least 30 of these programs (plus another 30 that died along with PowerPC support).

The ones that I consider keepers:

SnagIt... I use it pretty much daily.
          Snapz Pro... Has some specialty talents.
          PowerShot... Can put your shot direct into the clipboard; most of the others can't.
          Screenshot FX.... Can do odd shaped shots (even has simple Bezier talents).

All of these can do png and jpg. SnagIt and Snapz have more formats.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

As Bob mentions, Apple's own screen capture can do everything Lily needs, crosshairs and all, and is already with her for free, whereas Snagit costs (on this side of the water) £39.99.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Talibard View Post
              As Bob mentions, Apple's own screen capture can do everything Lily needs, crosshairs and all, and is already with her for free, whereas Snagit costs (on this side of the water) £39.99.
              In case anyone is wondering...Apple's free built-in capture program is called GRAB. It can be found in the Utilities folder, which is found in the Applications folder. It has 4 choices of types of capture. I use it to capture those newspaper or Google book/Archive.org book pages that don't have the print option. No matter where the article I want is located, I capture all of the page that includes the date, etc. It makes a TIFF file. I save it and then open it in PREVIEW (another free Apple file), use the tools to box the article in red (or other color of your choosing), type in any additional info I want to include and export it in the format of my choice if I don't want a TIFF file.

Here is a sample - I captured the Grab Help screen, saved it, opened it in PREVIEW, boxed the line about using PREVIEW, typed in some info, exported it and changed the file to PDF. If you forget to add some information, you can drag the PDF file to PREVIEW (don't double-click on it or it will open in Adobe Reader) and add the text you want (again, in the color of your choice).

Oh, if you want to learn more about what you can do with PREVIEW you can see the thread at

...and, yes, you can do captures directly from the PREVIEW app. You don't have all the choices that you have in GRAB but enough to do most things. Then your capture is already in PREVIEW (as a png file) so you can do your editing.

Choices, choices, choices!

Hope this is helpful.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by kmgenealogy; 27 February 2015, 04:56 AM. Reason: Added info about PREVIEW thread
              Kaye Mushalik
              -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
              -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
              -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Working...
              X