Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is switching to iCloud from dropbox a good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is switching to iCloud from dropbox a good idea?

When I purchased Reunion touch the instructions said that synch required drop box to function. I set it up according to directions and it works well. I have the basic drop box account with limited amount of storage. My iCloud storage is much more robust. I'm reading that reunion touch will now work with iCloud, but I'm unsure how to switch and if it will disrupt a system that is currently functioning, Do I just relocate (move) my family file out of its current location in dropbox and onto iCloud Drive? Im using a Mac Studio computer Sonoma 14.1.2. Thanks

Maybe, but if you're like me, with 2 Macs (wife & I) and 2 family files, I tried and all H broke loose. Went back to Dropbox and I still cannot get the wife's family file to be downloaded to ReunionTouch--it's greyed out.
    IMHO, if you're happy with Dropbox, STAY there.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

On your Mac stop the sharing by DropBox and quit Reunion. Once that's done, delete the file from your phone's DropBox.

Move the file to your iCloud folder on your Mac, and then go to ReunionTouch on the phone and tap on Download Family File from iCloud Drive

You should be all set - make sure ReunionTouch is up to date.

Roger
      Roger Moffat
      http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
      http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

But a related question -- my brother and I (different households/different Macs) share a family file. If I switch to iCloud from DropBox, I am assuming I can no longer share the file with him through his Mac/Reunion? Thanks for any advice on this.

Comment

If you switch clouds, your brother will need to switch too. Either cloud will work -- you just have to agree on which to use, and set up accordingly.
          Researching Western NC and Northeast GA and any family connected to Caney Fork in Jackson County, NC

Comment

Thank you, Kirk S, I appreciate your taking time to answer. Do you happen to know if I could share just the Reunion files from iCloud, ie not give brother access to everything else I store there? I did Google to try to determine that, but posts seem focused only on the ability to share *photographs* without sharing other files. If you happen to know that, I sure would be glad to know. Thanks again.

Comment

Absolutely, you can. I recommend sharing a FOLDER with him and that will include all files in/under that folder.

Apple Explains: https://support.apple.com/guide/iclo...256356b/icloud
              Researching Western NC and Northeast GA and any family connected to Caney Fork in Jackson County, NC

Comment

I'm finding iCloud quite unworkable for Reunion. Almost every time I want to open a Reunion file on my Mac the app has to wait for the file to be downloaded from iCloud and this can take anything from 2 to 10 minutes - simply impractical and useless. I would not advise moving from Dropbox if the latter is working for you. I'm planning to move back to Dropbox but I'm very disappointed that Apple's service is so dire.

Comment

Following instructions posted by Support, it worked flawlessly and continues to work as good as under Dropbox.

Comment

"How to" located at https://www.leisterpro.com/reuniontouch/icdusing.php.
                    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
                    X