Help - lost info after Dropbox glitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - lost info after Dropbox glitch

I hope someone can give me some advice. I have lost quite a lot of information which I had entered on my iPad, including a large number of new people, when Dropbox threw a wobbly and instead of uploading the new info to my desktop computer, it went the other way & downloaded my computer info to my iPad. It happened after Dropbox claimed I was using a new device (which I wasn’t). I can’t find any way of recovering the lost info. I have, however, been able to download a recent GEDCOM from Ancestry & have opened a new family file on Reunion - it doesn’t have any of my media & is missing many notes. I have customised the old file to my liking, and it would take hours of work to customise the new file, add photos, etc, so if I can merge the two files, it would be so much quicker and easier. My question is, can I merge the new file with my old file? There would be a large number of duplicates, & I wonder if it would cause problems. I’d appreciate any advice from anyone who can help. Thanks in advance.

If your iPad was connected to the internet and the changes that you made on the iPad had time to get uploaded to Dropbox, there is a chance that we could recover the data entered on your iPad.

Here is how to get the data from the iPad back...
    - on your Mac, make sure Reunion is not running, if it is quit the Reunion app
    - go to the Dropbox web site and locate your family file
    - look inside your family file package
    - at the top of the Dropbox window, click on the '...' button and select "Show deleted files"
    - some gray folders named "client xyz.member" should appear in the list
    - click on the '...' button off to the right of the gray client folders and select "Restore"

If doing the above steps allowed you to restore one or more gray client folders, then you can send your family file to us and we can restore the data from your iPad.

Note that it is important that you do NOT open your family file in Reunion at this point or the client folder(s) will be deleted and we won't be able to restore the iPad data.
    Gregg Witmer
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Thank you. I will see what I can do. I may have stuffed it all up by fiddling around with it already though. I wish I was more tech savvy!!!

Comment

Working...
      X