Dropbox Update (Dropbox for macOS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropbox Update (Dropbox for macOS)

Received notice from Dropbox that this is ready for me. I thought that I would check in with Leister to see if there are any grenades to worry about. From their instructions, I know I will need to relink Touch after the update.

(Intel iMac and MacBook Air M1 on macOS Ventura 13.0.1; iOS devices all on iOS 16.1.1)
    Last edited by Bob White; 30 November 2022, 11:19 AM. Reason: Added device/OS info as is pertinent to the question.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

I foresee a bunch of problems here - I have 2 Macs and an iPhone linked to DrobBox

One of my Macs can run Ventura, but isn't - it's on 12.5.1, and an update to 12.6.1 is available.

My other Mac - a 2012 Mac Pro - is on 12.3.1 so ineligible for this new DropBox. It's running OpenCore to be able to run Monterey on this 10 year old monster, and I have yet looked into upgrading it to 12.6.1.

I store a number of my application's preferences in DropBox so that I have the same settings across the two computers - I foresee this breaking if I upgrade one computer to the new version and not the other one.

Reunion is just one of the applications I'm worried about.

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

I was hoping that Gregg or Frank might have some sage advice. I'm not updating Dropbox until I am reasonably sure that syncing will still work OK. My concern is that the relocation of the local file might throw the proverbial monkey wrench in the works.

Comment

My biggest concern with the new version of Dropbox is that it will relocate your Dropbox folder into a CloudStorage folder in your user Library folder.

If you've been storing your Reunion family file and/or media items in your Dropbox folder they will all be getting relocated.

None of this, as far as we've seen, is a problem for Reunion. However, it could be a problem for people who've gotten comfortable with their files in a certain location.

If you've designated an external hard drive as the location for your Dropbox folder, the Dropbox update will no longer allow that. This could be problematic for multimedia links - but I don't believe many people have been using an external drive for their Dropbox folder.

Apple hides the Library folder from users. The new Dropbox folder will be listed under "Locations" in the Finder windows.

Our advice would be to hold off on updating to the new version of Dropbox, unless there's something that you absolutely must have in the new version. This will give us time to work through any unexpected problems that people who have upgraded are experiencing and come up with solutions.
        Gregg Witmer
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

I upgraded several weeks ago, and, to the best of my knowledge, have no problems whatsoever.
          FWIW, I keep an alias of the Dropbox folder on my desktop for easy access.
          rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Waiting is my mantra for now. Their instructions say the new location will be ~/Library/CloudStorage. I'm on Ventura 13.0.1. There is no folder by that name in either the user library nor the system library. I've had Cloud Storage checked on forever in Finder sidebars. Choosing it results in no action. It this folder something that is supposed to be there already or maybe the Dropbox migration will cause it to create?? (Assuming the no action because no folder with no contents!)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
              Waiting is my mantra for now. Their instructions say the new location will be ~/Library/CloudStorage. I'm on Ventura 13.0.1. There is no folder by that name in either the user library nor the system library. I've had Cloud Storage checked on forever in Finder sidebars. Choosing it results in no action. It this folder something that is supposed to be there already or maybe the Dropbox migration will cause it to create?? (Assuming the no action because no folder with no contents!)
              Bob,
              I have no idea HOW it got there, and a quick look does not show 'Library' at all, but a search with EasyFind shows a CloudStorage folder with Dropbox inside.
              The path is: /Users/steve/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox.

Comment

Maybe my theory that the folder was created on the fly due to the Dropbox movement is on the money. Here's what I see without having done the Dropbox update.

CleanShot 2022-12-05 at 12.03.12@2x.png

Comment

Bob, I do not know who, or what, hid my Users Library, but without unhiding the invisible, it is gone. I am using a MBP with M1 Pro with OS 13.0.1. See below.
                  Attached Files

Comment

See instructions on this screenshot. Likely that the box is unchecked.

ShowLibrary.png

Comment

Ah Ha! That did it!

Comment

Gregg, will the relocation of Dropbox break anything related to keeping Reunion files in it?
                        I have several tens of GB of multimedia docs in iCloud storage, kept also on my computers for speed. It has been working well. Do Apple's OS reconfigurations prompt Leister to reconsider using iCloud for Reunion itself?

Bob - you said you wanted "to see if there are any grenades to worry about." What a wonderful way to express it!!
                        Search as I might trying to learn what Monterey would break, I couldn't find a thing! It seems virtually impossible to learn about the potential downsides of an update until just after you do it! Grenades... !
                        Last edited by Paul Reitz; 16 January 2023, 03:36 PM.
                        -- Paul ... Reitz immigrants in America

Reunion 13.0 build 201127 on
                        MBPr 15" mid-2015, macOS 10.14.6
                        MBP 15" Mid-2010, macOS 10.13.6

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Reitz View Post
                          ..........Bob - you said you wanted "to see if there are any grenades to worry about." What a wonderful way to express it!! .......
                          Actually, grenades is not the word I meant to use. I actually meant to say "land mines"!! But either one works to express the idea.

Comment

...will the relocation of Dropbox break anything related to keeping Reunion files in it...
                            No. Changing the location of your Reunion family file does not break anything.

However, your family file links to media files on your system and Reunion goes to great lengths to not lose track of these media files as they're moved around and renamed on your system. If you're only relocating your family file, there's nothing to be concerned about. If you're moving media items you might want to run a Multimedia Usage Report from time to time to make sure Reunion has not lost the locations of your media items.

The biggest problem we've been seeing with recent upgrades to Dropbox is family files being designated as "Online only."

As for iCloud - it's come a long way and we've certainly not ruled it out.
                            Gregg Witmer
                            Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Gregg wrote:
                              No. Changing the location of your Reunion family file does not break anything.

However, your family file links to media files on your system and Reunion goes to great lengths to not lose track of these media files as they're moved around and renamed on your system.
                              Thanks for the clear answer. The multimedia files are staying put, but I'll do as you suggest since it's been a while. The toughest part is trying to determine what file has replaced ones shown as in the trash.

The biggest problem we've been seeing with recent upgrades to Dropbox is family files being designated as "Online only."/
                              I can only image how slow that must make things.
                              -- Paul ... Reitz immigrants in America

Reunion 13.0 build 201127 on
                              MBPr 15" mid-2015, macOS 10.14.6
                              MBP 15" Mid-2010, macOS 10.13.6

Comment

Working...
                              X