multi-page pdf files in Reunion Touch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

multi-page pdf files in Reunion Touch

I have been saving as pdf files a number of great family history files produced by my mother-in-law about 40 years ago. Some are 4 to 6 pages long. I've been placing these multi-media files on the person buttons in the family view. These can be read a page at at time (albeit a bit clunkily) in Reunion by clicking on the down/up arrow at the bottom of the first page that comes up. BUT... can't seem to read anything but page 1 when I open that file in Reunion Touch. Is there any way to view the whole pdf file in Reunion Touch?

Need clarification. Are these multi-page PDFs saved as several PDFs or one single? e.g. If five pages, do you have five documents or one document with five pages? Of course, if you have five documents, I just gave you the solution.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Shoot! Long as I said it, the easy way to combine those five imaginary PDFs I alluded to. Open page 1 in Preview. Go to the book-like icon in the far upper left and turn on Thumbnails. You might already have this on. Drag page 2 into the blank part of the sidebar, then page 3, etc... Don't worry about the order until all are dragged because, once in the sidebar, you can drag them up or down to correct the order. That's it other than to say you can trash the original pages 2 and on.

Comment

Well, these are multi-page single documents. I recognize that I could separate them into individual documents/files, but view that as even clunkier than as the way I have to view them in Reunion proper. I really want to keep each multi-page document as a single file. (I spent a lot of time scanning, OCRing, and creating single pdf files out of a number of pages. I'd hate to have to separate them back into single page documents.)

Comment

Just saw your Preview solution. I’ll give it a try. Tks

Comment

Just tried the png thing. Maybe I didn't fully understand you, but I couldn't do any better than I had with .pdf files. Only the first page of the multi-page png file shows up in the multimedia window of Reunion and there is no down/up arrow to move from page to page as there is with a pdf file. And the results in Reunion Touch are the same - only page 1 shows up.

Comment

I will say that in Reunion proper, the png file offers an option to open the whole document external to the item shown in the multimedia window of Family View, but you can't move from page to page within the multimedia item shown in the Family View.

Comment

I was not talking about png files. Nor was I talking about whether or not either PDFs or PNGs show in Multimedia. I was strictly showing a quick way to combine PDF files into a single file. I do not attach any documents in Multimedia; only photos and only JPGs. Of course, this means I cannot help with your viewing problem -- obviously.

Comment

Thanks Bob. I usually convert my OCR'd files into Word files, make adjustments (lots, unfortunately), put all the pages into one Word doc which I then save as or print as a pdf file. I don't where else I can put these files except in the multimedia window. I could set up a source for them, but that means you've got to go looking for the referenced source document. I'd really like to put them into "Notes" on the person file, but "Notes" won't accept them.

Comment

Originally posted by cponeill View Post
                    ......... I'd really like to put them into "Notes" on the person file, but "Notes" won't accept them.
                    Notes doesn't accept files. It only accepts text. So copy text from your Word doc and paste into the Notes field. Please note that one can have multiple Notes on one family record which helps to organize.

Comment

Yup - I've done that often with Notes. But you can't protect Notes. I can write protect my multi-page doc either as an MS Word doc or as a .pdf file. And you can't really format Notes - as I'd like to do. And 6 pages of text for one Note seems too much to me.

And I'd like to keep the credit attribution to my mother-in-law I've included in each file (as a footnote appearing on each page). She spent years putting together the information, and I just don't like the idea of someone (on Ancestry, after I do the Reunion file to FTM to Ancestry thing) cutting and pasting without attribution.

Anyway - still shuffling along looking for that "better way."
                      Last edited by cponeill; 11 September 2020, 06:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cponeill View Post
                        Yup - I've done that often with Notes. But you can't protect Notes. I can write protect my multi-page doc either as an MS Word doc or as a .pdf file. And you can't really format Notes - as I'd like to do. And 6 pages of text for one Note seems too much to me.

And I'd like to keep the credit attribution to my mother-in-law I've included in each file (as a footnote appearing on each page). She spent years putting together the information, and I just don't like the idea of someone (on Ancestry, after I do the Reunion file to FTM to Ancestry thing) cutting and pasting without attribution.

Anyway - still shuffling along looking for that "better way."
                        I feel like you are overthinking this. But, then, maybe I'm being way too practical. Here's some food for your thought. I also keep looking for better ways to do things.

First, make your Ancestry file private. That way, no one can see the actual record unless you permit them to. Second, just include the attribution in your Notes. (My assumption is that you are using Word's footnoting.) Third, in my opinion, having the information in the Notes handy on my iPad/iPhone far outweighs the fact that a note is on the long side. Fourth, with one exception, the basic formatting tools are in Notes. I would like the ability to do a numbered or bulleted list.

Comment

Hi Bob,
                          I do not attach any documents in Multimedia; only photos and only

Could I please ask - if you don't keep documents in m/media, what is your reason for doing this?

Myself, I keep all documents, pics, censuses etc in a separate folder but linked to Reunion so whenever I go to a particular person, I can see what records I have found for them in the m/media window. Double clicking on the record brings it up or reveals its locationin the finder.
                          I might be the odd one out here but most of them are readily viewable when required.

Alan
                          iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post

I feel like you are overthinking this. But, then, maybe I'm being way too practical. Here's some food for your thought. I also keep looking for better ways to do things.

First, make your Ancestry file private. That way, no one can see the actual record unless you permit them to. Second, just include the attribution in your Notes. (My assumption is that you are using Word's footnoting.) Third, in my opinion, having the information in the Notes handy on my iPad/iPhone far outweighs the fact that a note is on the long side. Fourth, with one exception, the basic formatting tools are in Notes. I would like the ability to do a numbered or bulleted list.
                            "Bob, I don't know if this would work as a solution to Alan's problem, but I've used it in other situations. I often deal with a large document like this: Create a new file. Copy the long document to it. Save the new file to a suitable place. Enter the URL for the newly created file into the place where I want the large document. Then I can access the document from there."
                            John McGee Leggett, Jr.
                            Late 2014 MacMini, MacOS Mojave 10.14.3, Reunion 12, Safari 12.0.3
                            Leggett Booth McGee King Coulter Morton Ashley Douglas Ranard Maners

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                              Hi Bob,
                              I do not attach any documents in Multimedia; only photos and only

Could I please ask - if you don't keep documents in m/media, what is your reason for doing this? ..............Alan
                              Take a look in these forums on the subject of Family Tree Maker. You'll see lots of discussion on what I do and other user's ideas and variations. In a nutshell, I do two things.

First, anything that I discover using Ancestry automatically syncs to my copy of FTM on my Macs. (All nicely organized and such.) So, if I need to see John Doe's 1910 census, it's about 10 seconds away (boot FTM, find John Doe, open Doe's media panel)...

I've been doing genealogy since the mid-1980's, realized that many documents like census sheets were rarely referred to after a given person was researched. So I did my own file system, on my Macs, so that the files were convenient if I ever needed them again but were not cluttering up Reunion.

Second, anything found elsewhere goes into to my home brew filing system. My system is simple and fast. All files are named in the format LastNameFirstname_Year_Short Description (or location for census docs). The Doe census sheet would be DoeJohn_1910_AnytownCA. Overall, the docs are filed in folders for a family group.

Comment

Working...
                              X