No announcement yet.

Research Tools & Tips For The Road?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Verity that a Flip Pal scanner is a very handy tool (it enabled me to capture a framed, sealed-on-the-back, 16x20 vintage photo from my cousin's wall, right through the glass), but BEWARE if you have upgraded your Mac to Catalina. The current Flip Pal software, which is on the SD card and required for stitching together your multiple scans of a large item, is 32-bit only and will not run on Catalina. I have just now run into this after getting a new desktop Mac running Catalina. I emailed the company and here was their reply, April 26, 2020:

We are currently working on the 64-bit version of the Toolbox software that will be compatible with Catalina. If you haven't already, please register at flip-pal.com/register/ to receive an email when that release is available. Kind regards, Gordon 970-221-7223 M-F 9:00-5:00 MT

So, until they get their upgrade done, you can still do single, small scans and download them off the SD card, but you won't be able to stitch multiple scans together.

Comment

The Flip-Pal software update for Catalina compatibility can now be purchased on SD card from Flip-Pal. (June 2020)

Comment

Tree Squirell, THANK YOU for this! I had never registered to get the email (per my previous post) but just now ordered the SD card. The company is going out of business and no longer sells the Flip-Pal itself, which I just found out two days ago and thought I was SOL about having the software work on Catalina, but now I'll be able to do that. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Susan Freas Rogers View Post
          Tree Squirell, THANK YOU for this! I had never registered to get the email (per my previous post) but just now ordered the SD card. The company is going out of business and no longer sells the Flip-Pal itself, which I just found out two days ago and thought I was SOL about having the software work on Catalina, but now I'll be able to do that. Thanks again.
          Dick Eastman's blog had an article about this a couple weeks ago. What he wrote up was that the company that was manufacturing the scanner for Flip-Pal was closing its doors so Flip-Pal wouldn't be selling the scanner any longer. Possible they did not notify users about the 64 bit update. I've been on their mailing list for years and TreeSquirrel's note was news to me.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
          X