Syncing issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syncing issues

Hi. Since syncing via Dropbox is such an important part of using Reunion Touch, I'm sure my question is already covered somewhere, but I can't find it. So perhaps someone could point me to the link:

I updated my family file on my laptop. I prefer not to keep it on Dropbox permanently, but I had previously duplicated the file in Dropbox, and it was opening fine in Reunion Touch on my iPad Mini. After adding some information to the file recently, I quit the application, and copied the latest version to Dropbox, replacing the file that was currently there. However, I can not get the iPad version to update. I've tried changing the name of the file and reloading, but whatever I do, when I open Reunion Touch, the updates I made are not reflected. I have even tried opening the Dropbox file on my computer, and the changes are there, so I believe it has something to do with the iPad app not syncing. (I am online.)

Thanks!
    Beth

In your case, which I do not recommend, I believe you'll have to delete the Reunion Touch file, and then reload it.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Recommended or not, I prefer to work this way also. I put a COPY of my family file into DropBox when I've made changes (infrequently). SGilbert's suggestion rings a bell. Try this first, tho: tell your iPad to "X Close" (one of the options under the "hammer"). Then reselect the file. If troubles, Close it, then quit the iPad app and delete it from running memory (double click HOME button, UP swipe the app). Then start the app again, and select the file.

Comment

Thanks, SGilbert. Yes, deleting the file on my iPad and re-loading works fine! Solved my problem - thanks!

baddorfdeb, I agree. The way I handle things, Dropbox holds a copy of the latest version of my family file. I prefer this method, because it means that when I do my work, on my laptop, the file isn't "living" on DB while I make the changes. I feel that this might be safer in terms of possible corruption of the file, as well as causing less issues if my laptop is offline, though I'm no computer expert.
        Beth

Comment

The family file is actually in your Mac. Dropbox mirrors said file, in real time, unless you are minus an Internet connection, the copy in your Mac. Touch talks with the copy in Dropbox.

Unless you were without an Internet connection, the "latest version" is in both locations. As soon as you can connect, it will catch up.

The family file is located at MacintoshHD/Users/YourName/Dropbox openly listed. (Not in the Reunion folder you'll see there.)

If you circumvent the system by loading a copy directly to Dropbox on the Internet, you end up with multiple copies on the Dropbox server and a single on your Mac. Therefore causing problems with Touch that expects to find one -- not two -- files to match with.

At least, this is the way I've learned that it works. Leister staff will correct if I said something in error. By the way, iCloud works in very much the same way.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

When I make a copy from directory "LOCAL-only" to directory MacintoshHD/Users/YourName/Dropbox, I don't think Dropbox knows the diffence. I, at least, am not sending the copy "via the web", merely copying to the exact place you tell me Dropbox lives on my mac (because I already know that's how Dropbox works). But I prefer not to have my phone or iPad capable of making changes. That's just a personal decision. It hangs partly on the fact that, to view NOTES on a person on ReunionTouch, you go into their EDIT screen. You could easily change things. No thanks!

Comment

Now I'm confused after reading the above discussion. For a long time I had my Reunion files in the Documents folder on my iMac (in a sub-folder titled Genealogy), AND one in my Dropbox (in a folder titled Genealogy) but kept having mix-ups when I used Reunion Touch as the two files didn't seem to sync. So for the last year or so I've kept my Reunion family files (and photographs) ONLY in my Dropbox, and everything seems to be syncing fine between the Dropbox, iPad, and iPhone ... and if I'm off-line when a change is made, it always catches up and the change(s) appear everywhere when I'm back online. (Periodically, I make a Backup copy just to keep on the iMac.) Am I all messed up with this method?

Comment

Judith, Backup is always recommended, but not to your Mac. Do it to an external HD or even a thumb drive.
                Also, you do not need your photos in the Dropbox folder. Reunion Touch creates thumbnails from your family file for its use.
                All Reunion touch needs is the original family file in the Dropbox folder. There should not be any other family files on your Mac (other than a differently named family file)
                rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

I started having the same problem with my iPad reunion touch app today. Changes that I make to a person’s notes or file will not save to my iPad. I can add a person on my iPhone and it will show up on my iPad. I can make changes in a persons file on my iPhone and those changes will not sync to my iPad. However, when I try to make changes on the iPad they just don’t sync to the iPhone app and refuse to save. I can add a person and sync will occur but I have also previously added two test people on iPad and they have not synced to iPhone and I cannot delete from iPad. There seems to be very selective syncing occurs g. I am away from my Mac at home. Is there anything I can safely do to get my iPad ReunionTouch app back to normal. The iPhone app seems to be working as it should. Suggestions

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Bunyard View Post
                    I started having the same problem with my iPad reunion touch app today. Changes that I make to a person’s notes or file will not save to my iPad. I can add a person on my iPhone and it will show up on my iPad. I can make changes in a persons file on my iPhone and those changes will not sync to my iPad. However, when I try to make changes on the iPad they just don’t sync to the iPhone app and refuse to save...Is there anything I can safely do to get my iPad ReunionTouch app back to normal. The iPhone app seems to be working as it should. Suggestions
                    Try deleting the family file from ReunionTouch on your iPad and re-downloading it from Dropbox. Information on how to delete a family file from your iPad can be found
                    here.

Also, it may be helpful to ensure you are running the latest version of ReunionTouch. To verify this, open the App Store on your iPad and tap the Updates icon. If you see ReunionTouch in the listing of available updates, install the update.

I hope this information is helpful for you in getting the syncing to work again on your iPad

However, be sure to let us know if you continue to see issues.

Thanks

Deb Stuller
                    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thank you. Both devices run 1.0.8. I deleted the family file per instructions and downloaded new file from Dropbox. It looks good and synced. Thank you so much for quick response.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
                        Try deleting the family file from ReunionTouch on your iPad and re-downloading it from Dropbox. Information on how to delete a family file from your iPad can be found
                        here.

I had an issue with not seeing all of my media in Reunion Touch. Deleting the family file in question then reloading it solved the problem.
                        ``````````````````````````````
                        Grant

Comment

Working...
                        X