Reunion Touch crashes before finding my family file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reunion Touch crashes before finding my family file

This is most puzzling. I have Reunion 12 installed on both my iMac and Macbook Pro with my family file 12 in Dropbox. I have Reunion Touch installed on my iPad and iPhone (version 1.08). When I move my family file into Dropbox, it appears as a folder on my iPad Dropbox. When I launch ReunionTouch on the iPad and it says it is connected to Dropbox, and it prompts me to choose a family file, it automatically crashes. The list of files that I see for a brief connection looks nothing like my Dropbox on my iPad or my computers. I have tried reinstalling ReunionTouch, moving the file out of Dropbox, and moving it back in to no avail. I cannot for the life of me understand why when I move the Reunion 12 file into Dropbox that it creates a folder instead of only the file.

All software is up-to-date.

Any suggestions.
    Thanks in advance.
    Carole

Originally posted by CAshbridge View Post
    When I move my family file into Dropbox, it appears as a folder on my iPad Dropbox.
    This is normal when viewing the family file via the Dropbox app or the Dropbox website. The reason is that a Reunion 12 family file is actually what's called a package -- it's a folder containing several files that appears as a single file in Finder on your Mac. However, in the Dropbox app/on the Dropbox website it's displayed as a folder instead. This is not the cause of the issue you're seeing.

When I launch ReunionTouch on the iPad and it says it is connected to Dropbox, and it prompts me to choose a family file, it automatically crashes.
    It sounds like you have the Dropbox app on your iPad -- please delete that app from the iPad, restart your iPad, and try downloading the family file into ReunionTouch again.

Note that to restart your iPad you should follow the "Force restart iPad" instructions found here, don't use the "Turn iPad on and off" instructions (which gives you a slider to turn off the iPad).

HTH

Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Thank you, Mark. But if I delete the Dropbox app, how do I then access Dropbox from my iPad for other files.
      Carole

Comment

It's not necessary to have the Dropbox app installed in order to download your family files to ReunionTouch.

If you use the Dropbox app to access other, non-Reunion files, then simply re-download the app after following my instructions. The idea here is to take the Dropbox app out of the loop when following the steps to download your family file, to ensure that's not the cause of the problem.

HTH
        Mark Harrison

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          ........It sounds like you have the Dropbox app on your iPad -- please delete that app from the iPad, restart ..........HTH
          Mark: Perhaps you can expand on this advice. I have the Dropbox app on both my iPad and iPhone and never experience any crashing problem. And I would suspect that many of us do have the Dropbox app and do not have Carole's problem. Is this a problem with one particular version of either app? Or....??
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Hi Bob,

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
            Is this a problem with one particular version of either app? Or....??
            It's simply troubleshooting. I've seen (rare) instances where having the Dropbox app installed has caused problems - though that's usually during the login process. Eliminating it as a potential cause of the issue is the reason for my suggestion.

I'm not aware of a specific issue with the Dropbox app that would cause this, however, it's something worth trying to see if it resolves the issue.
            Mark Harrison

Comment

Working...
            X