Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you avoid conflict in a family file when 2 devices have access simultaneously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you avoid conflict in a family file when 2 devices have access simultaneously

I use Reunion Touch on iPad and iPhone and my daughter and I use Reunion on our Macs all sharing the same family files via Dropbox. When she or I try to open a family file on Reunion on our Mac which is open on Reunion on the other Mac, a message appears informing us of the conflict and informing/requesting one of us to close the file before the other can access it. This is good, because we don't want to be editing the same person at the same time - problems would follow.

However, this doesn't happen with Reunion Touch. Whenever I open a family file with Reunion Touch which is already open on one of the Macs or on the other mobile device, I don't get such a warning of a conflict. The file opens and can be edited.

How does Reunion Touch prevent conflicts - such as the one I mention above - if the same file is open on more than one device?

Denis

Re: How do you avoid conflict in a family file when 2 devices have access simultaneou

Hi Denis,

Originally posted by Denis Bourque View Post
    How does Reunion Touch prevent conflicts - such as the one I mention above - if the same file is open on more than one device?
    Changes made in ReunionTouch are written out to a file inside the family file package - Reunion 12 family files are actually packages, which are basically folders that contain several other files/folders but appear as a single file on your Mac (similar to the Photos Library). ReunionTouch isn't writing directly to the main data file, rather, it writes out to a "changes" folder and when you open the file on a Mac it reads in those "changes" and writes them to the main file.

On the Mac, however, changes are written directly to the main data file. That's why you can't have the family file open on two Macs at once, but you can have it open in ReunionTouch on multiple devices.

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Re: How do you avoid conflict in a family file when 2 devices have access simultaneou

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      Hi Denis,

ReunionTouch isn't writing directly to the main data file, rather, it writes out to a "changes" folder and when you open the file on a Mac it reads in those "changes" and writes them to the main file.

On the Mac, however, changes are written directly to the main data file. That's why you can't have the family file open on two Macs at once, but you can have it open in ReunionTouch on multiple devices.

HTH
      Hello,

Considering the answer, I wonder which change is kept by the file when 2 people work on the same person at the same time, one on a Mac and one on another device?
      What happens if, during or before the sync, I start working on my Mac on somebody I was working on on the iPad ? This may occur when I've been away from wi-fi.

I hope I'm clear enough.
      Maurice Mézière
      Reunion 12
      MacBook Air 1,6GHz 10.14.6
      iMac 24" 3GHz 10.11.6
      ReunionTouch on iPad

Comment

Hi Maurice,
        Originally posted by Maurice Mézière View Post
        Considering the answer, I wonder which change is kept by the file when 2 people work on the same person at the same time, one on a Mac and one on another device?
        The most recent change is kept. Note that is on a per-field basis so, for example, if you changed the Birth field and they changed the Death field both changes would show up. But if you change the Birth, then they change that same field, their change would be kept (being the most recent).

What happens if, during or before the sync, I start working on my Mac on somebody I was working on on the iPad ?
        If you make a change to the same field as you made a change to on the iPad, the change made on your Mac would be kept (assuming it was made after the change on the iPad, which seems to be the case here).

HTH
        Mark Harrison

Comment

Hi Maurice,

The most recent change is kept. Note that is on a per-field basis so, for example, if you changed the Birth field and they changed the Death field both changes would show up. But if you change the Birth, then they change that same field, their change would be kept (being the most recent).

If you make a change to the same field as you made a change to on the iPad, the change made on your Mac would be kept (assuming it was made after the change on the iPad, which seems to be the case here).

HTH
          Thanks Mark,

i want to make sure I get this straight, because I'll be travelling soon, using the iPad off Wifi during the day, when I'll be collecting information - hence updating 'fields' within Reunion Touch, as you've mentioned. Then, when I get back to the hotel with Wifi (or if I get a Wifi connection during the day, at a restaurant or library, for instance), am I to presume that the modified fields will be uploaded at that time to my Dropbox's Reunion family files. And when I eventually get back to my Mac (connected to my Dropbox account) and open those family files within Reunion 12, those "field' changes which have been uploaded to the Dropbox will be downloaded and incorporated into the Mac's Reunion family files. Is that correct?

I just want to be sure I have the sequence correct so that I don't inadvertently overwrite data I collected during the day.

Regards,

Denis

Comment

Originally posted by Denis Bourque View Post
            Then, when I get back to the hotel with Wifi (or if I get a Wifi connection during the day, at a restaurant or library, for instance), am I to presume that the modified fields will be uploaded at that time to my Dropbox's Reunion family files.
            If you make changes while not connected to WiFi, once reconnected to WiFi, you will need to open ReunionTouch in order for the changes to get synced to Dropbox.

Note that this is different on the Mac: because Dropbox handles the syncing on the Mac, it will automatically sync once reconnected to the internet - whereas on the iPad, ReunionTouch can only sync while it's open.
            And when I eventually get back to my Mac (connected to my Dropbox account) and open those family files within Reunion 12, those "field' changes which have been uploaded to the Dropbox will be downloaded and incorporated into the Mac's Reunion family files. Is that correct?
            Yes - assuming Dropbox is running on the Mac, it will see that there are changes and download those changes to your Mac. Reunion on your Mac will then read in those changes and apply them to the main data file.

HTH
            Mark Harrison

Comment

If you make changes while not connected to WiFi, once reconnected to WiFi, you will need to open ReunionTouch in order for the changes to get synced to Dropbox.

assuming Dropbox is running on the Mac, it will see that there are changes and download those changes to your Mac. Reunion on your Mac will then read in those changes and apply them to the main data file.

HTH
              Many thank Mark. Much appreciated.

Denis

Comment

Hi Maurice,

The most recent change is kept.

HTH
                Hi Mark,

Thanks for your answer.
                For some reason I didn't get the digest where it was in. So I got it with later details.

A last question: am I right when I think all information changed in whatever device are timestamped and these timestamps are the base to sync the file ?
                Maurice Mézière
                Reunion 12
                iMac 24" 3GHz 10.11.6
                ReunionTouch on iPad

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Mézière View Post
                  A last question: am I right when I think all information changed in whatever device are timestamped and these timestamps are the base to sync the file ?
                  Correct
                  Mark Harrison

Comment

Correct
                    Thanks Mark.
                    This will help my practice.
                    Maurice Mézière
                    Reunion 12
                    iMac 24" 3GHz 10.11.6
                    ReunionTouch on iPad

Comment

Working...
                    X