This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using emailed Family Files on ReunionTouch

I have recently purchased an iPad mini and am interested in viewing Family Files on it. However I am reluctant to use Dropbox as a synchronising medium. I note in the Reunion Manual there is the note:

Sharing a Branch or Subset of a Family File with a Mobile Device
    There may be cases where you want to share a subset of your family file; perhaps all your relatives, or all relatives of your spouse. To accomplish this, export a branch or subset of a family file using File > Export > Reunion Family File.

This will create another family file (containing the branch or subset) and then you can move that file into Dropbox for sharing. Alternatively, you can email a subset to a family member who only wants to view the family data on their mobile device. Learn more.

The last sentence indicates that a Family File can be emailed to a iDevice, yet I can't find any information how this is achieved. Perhaps it is explained in the Reunion Touch manual, but I don't have access to this yet. Can anyone shed any light on this please.
    Robin
    Victoria, Australia

Re: Using emailed Family Files on ReunionTouch

I believe the wording of the guidance is slightly misleading, in that if you would be exporting a subset of the Reunion Family File into another Reunion Family File, which in turn means that the recipient would also have to have a copy of both Reunion and ReunionTouch to set up their own file sharing arrangement on DropBox.

Mervyn

Comment

Re: Using emailed Family Files on Reunion Touch

Originally posted by mjashby View Post
      I believe the wording of the guidance is slightly misleading, in that if you would be exporting a subset of the Reunion Family File into another Reunion Family File, which in turn means that the recipient would also have to have a copy of both Reunion and ReunionTouch to set up their own file sharing arrangement on DropBox.

Mervyn
      Thanks Mervyn. I kept delving and found the FAQ that explains it all. It seems that there is no way one can use Reunion Touch without someone using Dropbox somewhere in the process, albeit briefly. An important member of my family has strong objections to having all our family history being vulnerable to ne'er do wells. The Dropbox connection is a very neat solution for syncing between devices, however.
      Robin
      Victoria, Australia

Comment

Re: Using emailed Family Files on Reunion Touch

Just a clarification here...
        Originally posted by mjashby View Post
        ...the recipient would also have to have a copy of both Reunion and ReunionTouch to set up their own file sharing arrangement on DropBox...
        The recipient would need ReunionTouch, but not Reunion. (This will be elucidated in the next iteration of the manual.)
        Originally posted by Robin Helmond View Post
        ...It seems that there is no way one can use ReunionTouch without someone using Dropbox somewhere in the process, albeit briefly...
        This is correct.
        Frank Leister
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Working...
        X