This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Use ReunionTouch without a Mac desktop?

I have been away from genealogy for a few years and a bit out of touch with Reunion - but I do have Reunion 11.0.6 on my iMac!

Reunion on my iPad 3 is (I think) version 2 and the title of it’s manual is “Reunion for iPad”. Is this really “Reunion for iPad” or is it “Reunion Touch”? How can I tell the difference?

My daughter in law has requested a copy of my family file (it includes her family as well). She doesn’t do genealogy research herself, I believe she just wants to show the records to her family.

I was hoping to buy a copy of Reunion Touch for her iPad then transfer a copy of my file to it (using Dropbox?).

But the Reunion web site says “To use Reunion Touch on your mobile device, you’ll need Reunion 11 installed on your Mac”. My daughter in law has both an iPad and an iPhone, but her desktop computer is a PC (for business reasons).

Does this mean she can’t use Reunion Touch at all?
    Regards,
    Frank
    fmitchelATamugDOTorg

Re: Use Reunion Touch without a Mac desktop?

If you use Reunion 11 and have Dropbox, you can setup sharing on your Dropbox account. From there, she can download your family file on her iPad. She does not need Reunion.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Mitchell View Post
      Reunion on my iPad 3 is (I think) version 2 and the title of it’s manual is “Reunion for iPad”. Is this really “Reunion for iPad” or is it “Reunion Touch”? How can I tell the difference?
      The application icon for Reunion for iPad will be named Reunion. The icon for ReunionTouch will be named ReunionTouch.

And just so you know, Reunion for iPad will not work with Reunion 11... you'll need ReunionTouch.
      Tim Lundin
      Heartland Family Graphics
      http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Frank did state: "I was hoping to buy a copy of Reunion Touch for her iPad then transfer a copy of my file to it (using Dropbox?)."
        rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Originally posted by SGilbert View Post
          If you use Reunion 11 and have Dropbox, you can setup sharing on your Dropbox account. From there, she can download your family file on her iPad. She does not need Reunion.
          So my daughter in law will only need Reunion Touch and Dropbox on her iPad, right?

She would only need Reunion 11 if she wanted to move the file to her computer and, obviously, Reunion will not run on a PC anyway.

To be a bit pedantic, the wording of the statement on the Reunion web site seems to be inaccurate. She does not need Reunion of any version on her computer to read the file on her iPad.

Thank you for your response.
          Regards,
          Frank
          fmitchelATamugDOTorg

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
            The application icon for Reunion for iPad will be named Reunion. The icon for ReunionTouch will be named ReunionTouch.

And just so you know, Reunion for iPad will not work with Reunion 11... you'll need ReunionTouch.
            The icon on my iPad is labelled “Reunion”, the heading of the app when opened is “Reunion for iPad”. Apparently I need to update to Reunion Touch myself, as you say. Doesn’t take long to drift out of date, does it?

Thank you
            Regards,
            Frank
            fmitchelATamugDOTorg

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Mitchell View Post
              To be a bit pedantic, the wording of the statement on the Reunion web site seems to be inaccurate. She does not need Reunion of any version on her computer to read the file on her iPad.
              The statement on the website is meant to ensure people understand that you can't download ReunionTouch and use it to start a new family file. I.e., ReunionTouch is not a stand-alone application. You have to have Reunion 11 on a Mac (whether it's your copy on your Mac, or someone else's copy on another Mac) in order to create a file, load it into Dropbox, and download it into ReunionTouch.
              Mark Harrison
              Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                The statement on the website is meant to ensure people understand that you can't download ReunionTouch and use it to start a new family file. I.e., ReunionTouch is not a stand-alone application. You have to have Reunion 11 on a Mac (whether it's your copy on your Mac, or someone else's copy on another Mac) in order to create a file, load it into Dropbox, and download it into ReunionTouch.
                Thanks Mark. I think I understood that. What I meant was that, once the file has been downloaded to ReunionTouch, I don't think a Mac is needed to read it or even make changes to it.

I was hoping to take my iPad to my daughter in law in California and transfer the ReunionTouch family file from it to her iPad via Dropbox. If that is not possible, she would have to bring her iPad to me in Arizona and copy the file from my (non-portable) Mac. She is unable to travel here.

Thanks for your help,
                Frank
                Regards,
                Frank
                fmitchelATamugDOTorg

Comment

Originally posted by SGilbert View Post
                  I have a question about this . . . Can both people have their file(s) open at the same time? Will this cause any conflict(s)?

Comment

Working...
                  X