This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three-way sync query

I have Reunion family files on a MacBook synced with ReunionTouch on an iPad, but can I – by the simple expedient of installing Dropbox on a Mini as well – achieve three-way synchronization? If so, do I need to place the family files on the Mini into the latter’s Dropbox folder? The files on the MacBook and Mini are already in sync using Chronosync.
    Grateful for advice on what is doubtless a fairly basic issue.

Re: Three-way sync query

Your family file should reside in the Dropbox folder. From there, the Mini and iPod can run it. No need for Chronosync.

Be advised, though, the Mini will need the Reunion app installed on it.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Never heard of Chronosync but I will add that there is no need for it unless you have some very specialized situation. Just looked and, as far as I see, the Apple ecosystem does everything that this piece of software does. My point being, if someone doesn't already own it, I would not recommend its purchase.

I have no troubles at all with my Dropbox reliably syncing between three Macs, an iPad and an iPhone plus using shared folders with several different other users (which includes several non-Apple devices).
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
        Never heard of Chronosync but I will add that there is no need for it unless you have some very specialized situation. Just looked and, as far as I see, the Apple ecosystem does everything that this piece of software does. My point being, if someone doesn't already own it, I would not recommend its purchase.

I have no troubles at all with my Dropbox reliably syncing between three Macs, an iPad and an iPhone plus using shared folders with several different other users (which includes several non-Apple devices).
        I have used ChronoSynch since it was released and find it invaluable to keep files synchronised between my Mac Pro, and my wife's and my MacBook Pros.

ChronoSynch has no limit of 2GB, or 5GB if you've managed to up your storage limits - it is keeping hundreds of GB of photos in synch between my MacBook Pro and Mac Pro, as well as documents, plus the documents I share with my wife between the Mac Pro (and so my MacBook Pro) and her MacBook Pro.

This would be impossible without spending a fortune on DropBox or iCloud or whatever system you chose.

To give an idea of the volume of data being handled, my BackBlaze backup of the Mac Pro is 1.8TB!!! This is well outside the bounds of affordability for any type of cloud storage/synching system.

Roger
        Roger Moffat
        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Exactly why I was careful to include the phrase "special situation" I was thinking of people like you and our one-name study guys when I included that phrase.

Comment

Originally posted by SGilbert View Post
            Your family file should reside in the Dropbox folder. From there, the Mini and iPod can run it. No need for Chronosync.

Be advised, though, the Mini will need the Reunion app installed on it.
            Make sure you tell ChronoSync to exclude the Dropbox folder when you install Dropbox on the other Mac — best to let Dropbox manage syncing of its folder.
            Surnames Dresch, Eyden, Lunn, Mountfort, Page, Robinson, Ryan, Whitworth, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
              Exactly why I was careful to include the phrase "special situation" I was thinking of people like you and our one-name study guys when I included that phrase.
              I don't think that anyone wanting to synchronise more than say 5GB of files across more than one Macintosh is in a "very special situation".

A blanket statement about a software you have never heard of is quite unhelpful.

Roger
              Roger Moffat
              http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
              http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
                I don't think that anyone wanting to synchronise more than say 5GB of files across more than one Macintosh is in a "very special situation".

A blanket statement about a software you have never heard of is quite unhelpful.

Roger
                My apologies! Perhaps I should have phrased better. While I wasn't familiar with this product, I am familiar with this genre of software. I should have said this type of software is really only needed for special situations. And I would draw the line much, much higher but more important to saying special is how complex the synch situation is.

My experience with the nearly 700 users of my local Mac group is that the typical user has one Mac plus an iPad and maybe an iPhone. These are the users that are not special situations. iCloud or similar synch and backup works OK for these users. Someone like you or me with a multiplicity of devices, other users, etc.. need something more than iCloud or such. And that is what I mean by special.

Comment

Thanks for responses. I have found Chronosync a useful means of achieving bi–directional synchronization of family files on a Mini and MacBook, both of which have Reunion 11. The acquisition of ReunionTouch for the iPad suggests to me that for family files of modest size (my situation – implying no additional expenditure) Chronosync can yield to Dropbox for three–way synchronisation. Chronosync can apparently sync to iPads but it looks fairly complex.
                  I will now download Dropbox onto the Mini (which currently doesn’t have it) and see if results are as expected.

Comment

I would be grateful for clarification of one aspect of this synch procedure. I now have ReunionTouch 1.0.2 on the iPad, Reunion 11.0.6 on the MacBook, Reunion 11.0.6 on the Mini, and Dropbox on all three. My family files on the MacBook are in its Dropbox folder, but the family files on the Mini remain in their original position in its Documents folder. In the latter case is this correct or should they be in the Mini’s Dropbox folder?

The system seems to be working fine as it is, with changes made on any of the three machines being reflected on the other two, so I seem to have it right – but would be grateful for confirmation. I think the novice would be helped if this particular detail was spelled out in the manual – or perhaps I've missed it . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Goring View Post
                      I would be grateful for clarification of one aspect of this synch procedure. I now have ReunionTouch 1.0.2 on the iPad, Reunion 11.0.6 on the MacBook, Reunion 11.0.6 on the Mini, and Dropbox on all three. My family files on the MacBook are in its Dropbox folder, but the family files on the Mini remain in their original position in its Documents folder. In the latter case is this correct or should they be in the Mini’s Dropbox folder?
                      When you installed DropBox on the Mini it would have a created a Dropbox folder in your home folder, and automatically downloaded your family file which was in the Dropbox cloud.

Sounds like Reunion on the Mini found it automatically, so you *should* find the family file in your Documents folder is now redundant and can (should) be trashed.
                      Last edited by Tom Robinson; 31 October 2015, 03:21 PM.
                      Surnames Dresch, Eyden, Lunn, Mountfort, Page, Robinson, Ryan, Whitworth, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Robinson View Post
                        When you installed DropBox on the Mini it would have a created a Dropbox folder in your home folder, and automatically downloaded your family file which was in the Dropbox cloud.
                        Sounds like Reunion on the Mini found it automatically, so you *should* find the family file in your Documents folder is now redundant and can (should) be trashed.
                        Many thanks. Have transferred the family files to Dropbox on the Mini and all works as expected. Seems odd it seemed to work before doing this.
                        An online search reveals an increasing demand for an ’idiot’s guide to dropbox’!

Comment

Working...
                        X